PDA

View Full Version : question .......

Tugmistress
22-Jan-10, 21:16
ok stupid question maybe but i'll ask anyway :confused

i have a hot water feed and a cold water feed for a washing machine or dishwasher etc.
my washing machine is a cold water feed only and so is the dishwasher but they need to go in the same place!
my question is this, if i plug the washing machine in to the cold water pipe can i plug the dishwasher in to the hot water pipe (which doesn't run hot water for at least 20 seconds after turning on a tap anyway)????

i am assuming the dishwasher will still take water it's just a different source and it wont do it any harm?

advice gratefully received :D

Sianymo
22-Jan-10, 21:23
Won't do it any harm in my experience but it does then drain your hot water tank... which is a bit annoying when you come to have bath having forgotten you put the dishwasher on.

The place up the road ... what's it called... wilson wilson.. they do splitters which you screw on the end of the cold pipe and then you can connect both. Works a treat.

:)

_Ju_
22-Jan-10, 21:37
Expensive to use hot water in a machine that heats it it'self......

lasher
22-Jan-10, 21:42
Expensive to use hot water in a machine that heats it it'self......
That makes no sense, if the water is hot the dishwasher won't have to use electricity to heat it!!!

Ricco
22-Jan-10, 22:24
Tuggs - you can get a Y adapter from a good DIY store. Your cold feed goes onto the single end and then you can take both machines off each part of the Y. Good luck!

Kevin Milkins
23-Jan-10, 01:25
It's a very good question anyway. It seems most of these appliances require a cold feed only and they have there own system of heating the water to the required temperature for them to work and give the optimum result.

I would have thought that if you have a hot water supply fixed to one , it would work just the same, but would not need as much energy to heat the water as they would be thermostatically controlled.

Warning!!! this opinion does not necessarily represent the opinion of a time served professional.

Phill
23-Jan-10, 01:55
There are easy ways of splitting the cold feed (like the Y adaptor mentioned).

It's not advisable to put a hot feed into a cold feed machine, especially if it's a newish low energy type one.

Tugmistress
23-Jan-10, 05:16
Thanks for the replies folks, phill, have replied to your pm :)

_Ju_
23-Jan-10, 09:21
That makes no sense, if the water is hot the dishwasher won't have to use electricity to heat it!!!

What makes sense to my mind is that the dishwasher heating will still kick in. So the hot water will be unecessarily reheated, until the maximum temperature sensor is triggered (if the machine has one).

The Angel Of Death
23-Jan-10, 09:54
i managed to connect the hot and cold feeds up wrong on a washing machine once end result steaming washing ;)

EDDIE
23-Jan-10, 11:49

But have to run a hotwater tap for a couple of mins before it gets hot so if the dishwasher starts filling up with water it will be coldwater going into it for the first couple of mins so i cant see it beeing any cheeper connecting hot water to the dish washer

poppett
23-Jan-10, 13:18
My washing machine has hot and cold feed, the dishwasher just cold. Went to Plumb centre in Thurso and the friendly chappie there sorted me out with the right connections no problem..........and much cheaper than Wilsons, even though they are both part of the Wolseley group !!

Rourkee
23-Jan-10, 13:25

The dishwasher uses a lot of water on the rinse cycle. If you can afford to waste all the hot water from you tank rinsing dishes, so be it!

EDDIE
23-Jan-10, 15:52
My washing machine has hot and cold feed, the dishwasher just cold. Went to Plumb centre in Thurso and the friendly chappie there sorted me out with the right connections no problem..........and much cheaper than Wilsons, even though they are both part of the Wolseley group !!

Its amazing how they both have differnet prices but the 2 companys are owned by wolsley group