PDA

View Full Version : What was yer comic that came through the letterbox?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
22-Jan-10, 20:55
Mine was The Dandy,every Saturday morning.Ma brithers was Whizzer and Chips.

Now its Viz.

Whit comic/magazine could ye not live without week in week out?:)

joxville
22-Jan-10, 21:02
I used to buy The Beano, The Dandy, Topper and The Beezer on my way to school; I started buying Viz in my twenties. I don't get it so much these days. Fnarr fnarr. ;)

Alan16
22-Jan-10, 21:24
I'm a bit younger than everyone here probably, so my favourite comics are online: http://www.xkcd.com (http://www.xkcd.com/) and http://www.explosm.net (http://www.explosm.net/). Be warned that explosm could offend.

Kodiak
22-Jan-10, 21:39
Mine were The Rover, The Wizard, The Eagle, The Hotspur, The Adventure, The Topper and The Beezer.

Rheghead
22-Jan-10, 21:44
I was a Marvel comic convert and I looked upon the old boring British style comics with disdain.

Invisible
22-Jan-10, 21:59
I got Mad Scientist and also the Sonic & Friends comic

Vistravi
22-Jan-10, 22:06
I was a Marvel comic convert and I looked upon the old boring British style comics with disdain.

Same here. i loved the marvel comics but never got much chance to get any but the odd one.

Ricco
22-Jan-10, 22:20
Mine were the Rover and the Eagle. Eagerly awaited throughout the week - re-read until the next one dropped on the mat.

joxville
22-Jan-10, 22:23
There was another comic I used to buy, I can't recall the name of it, but I only bought it for about 1 year before I stopped buying comics. One of the strips in it was about a rich Arab kid called Mustafa Million, what was the comic?

Alice in Blunderland
22-Jan-10, 22:26
There was another comic I used to buy, I can't recall the name of it, but I only bought it for about 1 year before I stopped buying comics. One of the strips in it was about a rich Arab kid called Mustafa Million, what was the comic?

Cheeky !....then Whoopee

joxville
22-Jan-10, 22:28
Cheeky !....then Whoopee
Alice, yer a wee darlin'....I've been racking my brain for the last hour trying to recall that name. Why was it so difficult, considering how bloody cheeky I can be. :roll: :)

Alice in Blunderland
22-Jan-10, 22:32
Alice, yer a wee darlin'....I've been racking my brain for the last hour trying to recall that name. Why was it so difficult, considering how bloody cheeky I can be. :)

Ah I know Im just a wee jem !! glad to be of help to you and your brain. :Razz

I mean Jox and Cheeky its so obvious :lol:

unicorn
22-Jan-10, 22:38
Beano and Dandy.

cuddlepop
22-Jan-10, 22:40
I use to get the Jackie comic and sometimes a Bunty if I felt rich.

Brothers use to fight over the Beano,couldnt take turns even then.:lol:

Vistravi
22-Jan-10, 22:42
Alice, yer a wee darlin'....I've been racking my brain for the last hour trying to recall that name. Why was it so difficult, considering how cheeky I can be. :roll: :)

It be the old age seeping in ;)

joxville
22-Jan-10, 22:46
It be the old age seeping in ;)

Aye, and something else seeping out. :eek::(

Vistravi
22-Jan-10, 23:45
Aye, and something else seeping out. :eek:

My partner knows where you can get good incontience underwear ;):Razz

Jenni
22-Jan-10, 23:52
I used to get a teen comic called 'Blue Jeans'. You got a poster of a different pop star in it every week.

butterfly
22-Jan-10, 23:57
[quote=cuddlepop;649008]I use to get the Jackie comic and sometimes a Bunty if I felt rich.

Lol,loved those and Blue Jeans.

Blarney
23-Jan-10, 00:14
It's not only when you are a kid that you can enjoy your comic. I remember the time a good few years ago that our local newsagent said in a loud voice to the middle aged man at the back of the crowded shop, " No John, don't bother waiting, your Tiger's not in yet". Could never see the guy in the street again without a quiet chuckle:D

Phill
23-Jan-10, 00:16
What was yer comic that came through the letterbox?

Letterbox, LETTERBOX!!

Oh how I dreamt of the Beano bein' delivered, in my day I had to run t' newsagents. I would have cycled but we were too poor.

Beano and then I got all mature and got 2000AD. I was rather a whizz at drawing Bradley the Sprog, a kind of futuristic Dennis.

Now I get Hentai but it's not delivered through t' letterbox!! :eek:

golach
23-Jan-10, 00:32
I was brought up on the Dandy & Beano, then the Eagle...Dan Dare was the bees knees so was the Meekon, but then as a youth progressed to MAD Magazine and A E Newman [lol]

Green_not_greed
23-Jan-10, 00:37
Treasure then (I think) Look and Learn until I "grew up enough on my own" when it became Lion & Thunder and latterly Mad magazine. Says a lot!

Kevin Milkins
23-Jan-10, 01:02
I used to buy The Beano, The Dandy, Topper and The Beezer on my way to school; I started buying Viz in my twenties. I don't get it so much these days. Fnarr fnarr.

Now that is a coincidence, as those were my four favorite comics.:Razz

I was a newspaper delivery boy for about four years and used to read other peoples comics on the way around my round, (naughty I know) and my favourite characters were Dennis the menace and desperate Dan.:D

My darkest moment was getting caught sat on a guys dustbin outside his house reading his playboy, when i was about twelve years old.:eek:

crayola
23-Jan-10, 01:33
Bunty and Judy then Jackie for me. After that it was Cosmo.

ŠAmethyst
23-Jan-10, 02:22
Then, The Beano... Now, manga!!

Boozeburglar
23-Jan-10, 02:47
I was the Dandy, my bro the Beano.

Then later on 2001AD and then I started reading Sounds.

:)

Metalattakk
23-Jan-10, 03:26
Beano & Dandy for me, with the rare Beezer or Topper thrown in. Then as the years went by it was onto the sports-based comics - Shoot!, Scoop and the Tiger. Still cannot forget Hot-Shot Hamish after all these years! [lol]

Used to love the 'Secret Agent' cardboard wallet-type-things that some of them gave away free. Do bairns have similar things and opportunities for mind-stetching play these days?

Angela
23-Jan-10, 11:12
The Beano and the Bunty for me. They didn't come through the letter box tho' -my uncle Sandy got them at the newsagents, folded them up neatly in his 'jaiked poakaid' - and cycled home with them. :)

I'd forgotten all about that. Can anyone remind me of the name of the newsagents on Bridge Street in the late 50s? On the left heading away from the Cliff I think. :confused

Mosser
23-Jan-10, 15:56
Mine were The Rover, The Wizard, The Eagle, The Hotspur, The Adventure, The Topper and The Beezer.

Definitely the first three, great stories, especially the Hotspur. I also got the B.O.P ( Boys Own Paper)

veekay
23-Jan-10, 16:03
Had to get them from the news agent but Bunty and Judy and had to share them with the sisters - she who went for them read them first!

crayola
23-Jan-10, 16:09
I use to get the Jackie comic and sometimes a Bunty if I felt rich.
I've only just noticed your post cuddlepop. It's good to find another Jackie reader on the Org. :D

I was an avid reader of Cathy and Claire and I still have my treasured David Essex centrefold!

Does anyone remember who was the first centrefold in British Cosmo? I couldn't get it in Thurso but my older brother was at uni and he posted a copy up to me. Our mother would have killed him if she'd ever found out. :eek:

joxville
23-Jan-10, 16:39
Does anyone remember who was the first centrefold in British Cosmo?

Charlie Drake? [lol]

crayola
23-Jan-10, 17:08
LOL!

My memory must be playing games because the first Cosmo centrefold here was Paul du Feu in 1972 and that's years earlier than the one my brother sent.

The first male centrefold appeared in April 1972, featuring Paul de Feu, the then husband of Germaine Greer (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1827274.stm)

poppett
23-Jan-10, 17:32
I was a Jackie girl too.

From a character point of view Dennis the menace was my favourite so borrowed a Beano whenever I could

crayola
23-Jan-10, 17:42
Jackie didn't have any characters if I remember correctly. It told us how to get a boy interested, what to talk about when we succeeded and how to deal with the wee toerag when he lost interest. :lol:

shazzap
23-Jan-10, 18:01
Judy, Bunty, Jackie was there a comic called Sparkey.

joxville
23-Jan-10, 18:04
Judy, Bunty, Jackie was there a comic called Sparkey.

I think there was, might even have been Sparky or Sparkie, certainly rings a bell though. Good memory you have Shaz.

shazzap
23-Jan-10, 18:09
I think there was, might even have been Sparky or Sparkie, certainly rings a bell though. Good memory you have Shaz.

My husband says too good for my own good.

BINBOB
23-Jan-10, 18:17
For me...Bunty,Judy and Diana.But I loved my brothers comics too,Dandy,Beano,Beezer,Topper,The Victor and Superman too.They were the days.:D

crayola
23-Jan-10, 18:24
I'd forgotten about Diana. Another one with a girl's name was Mandy.

I have vague memories of getting Princess Tina every week.

joxville
23-Jan-10, 18:27
This thread reminds of the newsagent sketch on An Audience With Billy Connolly...Beano, Bunty, *Bare-Arsed Monthly. :)

*"Have you seen the things that you can buy?" :eek: [lol]

bobbyrussell09
24-Jan-10, 01:43
I used to buy The Beano, The Dandy, Topper and The Beezer on my way to school; I started buying Viz in my twenties. I don't get it so much these days. Fnarr fnarr. ;)
an now in the sixties you buy the take a break

bobbyrussell09
24-Jan-10, 01:59
mine was sonic the comic

Cattach
24-Jan-10, 11:32

Mine too. I liked to collect the footballers and cricketers cards that came with the The Rover, The Wizard and The Hotspur. The Eagles was a bit more expensive so we did not always get but I did like to read about Dan Dare and the Meekon in it. I git the very first copy of the Topper and when the Beezer followed I like it too. Lots of favourite stories - I had a great liking for 'The Hillies and the Billies'.

Mrs Bucket
24-Jan-10, 15:34
We never had say in it we got the Eagle Hotspur and Girl

Thumper
24-Jan-10, 17:26
Twinkle then I moved on to Bunty and then Jackie :) Oh and on a slightly different note-why does cosmo have so many blooming adverts in it?All the big glossy mags nowadays seem to be mostly adverts,last one I bought it was page 32 before there was an article :eek: x

Boozeburglar
24-Jan-10, 18:36
I used to enjoy that spin off periodical from Phyllis Pechey. Cannot remember the name of it for the life of me. Probably a good thing.

Rheghead
24-Jan-10, 19:01
I used to get Valiant, anyone remember that one?

cuddlepop
24-Jan-10, 19:03
Twinkle then I moved on to Bunty and then Jackie :) Oh and on a slightly different note-why does cosmo have so many blooming adverts in it?All the big glossy mags nowadays seem to be mostly adverts,last one I bought it was page 32 before there was an article :eek: x

Oh i forgot all about Twinkle that was my very first comic and annual.

Thanks for the memories Thumper.:D

Boozeburglar
24-Jan-10, 19:04

Sounds like an aristocrat's name for one of their Dobermans.

Each
24-Jan-10, 19:40
Anyone remande the Commando comics - dont know if they count though - more like books

I remember being so excited when they started a new Sci-fi comic 2000AD I used to get them all for a year or so - from the very first edition - to think what they would be worth today !!!!

Imagine my shock as an 9 year old when me and my mate found a dirty mag round the back of the garages at Strathmore Place !

Really turn my stomach,

BINBOB
24-Jan-10, 19:41

My brother got that one too.............

BINBOB
24-Jan-10, 19:42
Anyone remande the Commando comics - dont know if they count though - more like books

I remember being so excited when they started a new Sci-fi comic 2000AD I used to get them all for a year or so - from the very first edition - to think what they would be worth today !!!!

Imagine my shock as an 9 year old when me and my mate found a dirty mag round the back of the garages at Strathmore Place !

Really turn my stomach,

My brother also got the wee commando booklets..I liked them too.

princess bee
24-Jan-10, 23:05
I used to love waiting for twinkle to drop through my letter box oh the memories :)

gleeber
24-Jan-10, 23:08
The first comic strip I remember was Black Bob and I'm sure it was in a newspaper called either the weekly news ot the peoples journal. Black Bob was a Collie sheepdog and his master was called Andrew Glen. I havnt thought about them in 50 years.
First comics through the door was beano and dandy.