View Full Version : Shops

rfr10
02-May-06, 18:45
VIEW UPDATED INFO ON 3RD PAGE

HOMEBASE- OPEN (home)

ARGOS- OPEN (wide variety)

NEW LOOK- OPEN (clothes)

SUPERDRUG- OPEN (health, fitness etc.)

EDINBURGH WOOLEN MILL- PLAN TO OPEN AT WICK ON 27th May 2006 (clothes)

NEXT- HAVE NO PLANS TO OPEN IN CAITHNESS (clothes- mainly)

TESCO- OPEN BY DECEMBER 25TH (If plans go well) (superstore)

MCDONALDS- NO PLANS AT THE MOMENT. (food)

PIZZA HUT- NO PLANS CURRENT (food)

MATALAN- HAVE NO PLANS TO OPEN IN CAITHNESS (clothes)

EVANS- HAVE NO PLANS TO OPEN IN CAITHNESS

FARMFOODS- WAITING FOR INFO. (food)

MOTHERCARE- WAITING FOR INFO. (parenting)

M&S- NO PLANS CURRENT (clothes and food)

JJB- WAITING FOR INFO. (sports)

TK MAXX- HAVE NO PLANS (p3). (designer clothes)

PETS AT HOME- HAVE NO PLANS YET (p3). (pets)

HOLLAND AND BARRET- HAVE NO PLANS YET. (health foods)

HMV- NO PLANS CURRENT. (music)

ICELAND- WAITING FOR INFO. (food)

D2- WAITING FOR INFO. (clothes)

BURTON- WAITING FOR INFO. (clothes)

THE BODY SHOP- WAITING FOR INFO (conf.)

FRENCH CONNECTION- WAITING FOR INFO. (clothes)

MAPLIN- WAITING FOR INFO (Electronics)

POUNDLAND- NO PLANS CURRENT (uk)

Any more shops that you want me to find out about????

By the end of tomorrow, I will no longer be able to edit this message so I will just reply to this thread with any new information as I cannot update it above

gee
02-May-06, 18:50
evans, matalan and farmfoods. any likelihood of any of them coming up here

rfr10
02-May-06, 18:52
I'll check them for you and let you know more once I have more info to tell you.

rfr10
02-May-06, 18:56
There are no plans to open an EVANS store SOON but I'll check about the future.

rfr10
02-May-06, 19:05
Knightofeth- I would like to ask you why you have given me a bad reputation for copying info from somewhere else as all the information I am giving here is information given to me from each retailer.

gee
02-May-06, 19:06
thanks i appreciate you looking for me

Chillie
02-May-06, 19:31
There are no plans to open an EVANS store SOON but I'll check about the future.

Yet another shop thread from you:mad: We all know what is happening on the the shop front.

As you are on the SYP, should you not focus your intelliegence on what job's are coming to Caithness to sustain all these new shop's.

If you could find this in your midst's then post us with the news we want to really hear.:)

gee
02-May-06, 19:39
i understand where you are coming from there chillie. but at the moment it seems as though these shops are the only job providers appearing. also is there anything being planned for coming up here employment wise as i cannot see why these shops would come up here all of a sudden for no reason

scorrie
02-May-06, 20:04
it seems as though these shops are the only job providers appearing.

That is the way it is going to work, Wick will exist entirely of shops and we will all be employed in those shops. If there is any problem with a lack of money, then we simply open another shop to create more jobs. Eventually we will end up with so much choice that companies start running buses from Inverness so that the deprived shoppers from there can hit the Metropolis for a day's shopping and some, much needed, retail therapy. People in Inverness then start hassling their councilors and demanding a Fairways for Inverness and a bypass for the Town Centre like the one they have in Wick. All we will need in Wick then will be a Monorail, a Swordfish Museum and renaming Ackergill Tower to Altered Towers to become the Orlando of the North.

"I'm gonna spend, spend, spend"
"Return to Spender"
"Eastspenders"
"Hey big Spender"
"Let's Spend the Night Together"
"It's the Spend of the World as We Know It (and I feel fine)"

rfr10
02-May-06, 21:37
Yet another shop thread from you:mad: We all know what is happening on the the shop front.

As you are on the SYP, should you not focus your intelliegence on what job's are coming to Caithness to sustain all these new shop's.

If you could find this in your midst's then post us with the news we want to really hear.:)

Thats why I closed the TESCO one. It was getting too OTT so I closed it, started another one so that means we still only have one thread.

rfr10
02-May-06, 21:39
Tell me what sort of stuff you want me to tell you about and I'll be happy to tell you.

bagpuss
02-May-06, 21:48
Do we know why Next have no plans to open? Is it because they already have their client base through the Directory, or is it down to socio-economic factors- ie who is likely to come through the doors and what they are likely to spend?

I may have ruffled some feathers on the other link- but can I quote from something I heard in the town last Saturday? Some thirty something females were commenting that while they might head up to New Look to buy jeans, they'd still be ordering their office/school work clothing from M&S online, Next, or heading into Mackays.

Shops stay open because people spend money in them. When they don't meet their sales targets they close. Sales targets for national chains are high, and before they open anywhere someone is sent out to do their homeowrk. I for one will be very interested in what you find out from the various retailers.

Can you add a M&S food only store to your list of things to find out?

rfr10
02-May-06, 22:06
Can you add a M&S food only store to your list of things to find out?
Yep, sure.

Valerie Campbell
02-May-06, 22:53
Farmfoods would be a good one. What about shops that sell music and video at Amazon or Tesco/Woolies Jersey prices?? And maybe a Mothercare...

JAWS
03-May-06, 13:46

If you have no wish to hear about shops then close your ears. Nobody is forcing you to read the thread.

I don't particularly care about what jobs are coming to Caithness but I won't complain if somebody provides such information.
Just because it is of no interest to me personally doesn't mean that I have the right to complain that somebody is providing information which is of interest to others.
Obviously we don't all know what's happening on the shops front or people would not be asking questions.

If the question of what jobs are coming to Caithness concerns you so much then don't moan about what Robin170491 is or is not telling you, make your own enquiries and put them on the board for the information of those who wish to have it.

JAWS
03-May-06, 14:14
That is the way it is going to work, Wick will exist entirely of shops and we will all be employed in those shops. If there is any problem with a lack of money, then we simply open another shop to create more jobs. Eventually we will end up with so much choice that companies start running buses from Inverness so that the deprived shoppers from there can hit the Metropolis for a day's shopping and some, much needed, retail therapy. People in Inverness then start hassling their councilors and demanding a Fairways for Inverness and a bypass for the Town Centre like the one they have in Wick. All we will need in Wick then will be a Monorail, a Swordfish Museum and renaming Ackergill Tower to Altered Towers to become the Orlando of the North.

"I'm gonna spend, spend, spend"
"Return to Spender"
"Eastspenders"
"Hey big Spender"
"Let's Spend the Night Together"
"It's the Spend of the World as We Know It (and I feel fine)"
Well, scorrie, what you suggest sounds like a good idea to me. We already have a sort of Monorail, it runs to Invrness and takes about four hours. Have you any idea how soon the rest is likely to happen?

If you can't stand the thought of people spending money don't worry. I very much doubt anybody is going to drag you kicking and screaming into these dens of iniquity and force you to open your wallet.
At least we know that the King is safe and well and is still in his counting-house, counting out his money.

vodkaman
03-May-06, 16:02
Farmfoods would be a good one. What about shops that sell music and video at Amazon or Tesco/Woolies Jersey prices?? And maybe a Mothercare...
Try www.play.com (http://www.play.com) cheap cd's and dvd's free postage.

Ann
03-May-06, 16:09
:Razz Robin170491 for Prime Minister; he gets things done!
Thank you Robin,
Ann

Chillie
03-May-06, 16:17
:Razz Robin170491 for Prime Minister; he gets things done!
Thank you Robin,
Ann

Canna be any worser than Tony Blair:Razz

rfr10
03-May-06, 16:31
MATALAN HAVE NO PLANS TO OPEN A STORE IN CAITHNESS AT THE PRESENT TIME.
EVANS HAVE NO PLANS TO OPEN A STORE IN CAITHNESS AT THE MOMENT.

krieve
03-May-06, 16:48
:cry: No Matalan, oh well never mind i like going to inverness for shopping trips lol. :evil

krieve
03-May-06, 16:54
what's that big pet store in inverness up next to tesco extra called anyone know i can't remember the name of it.

rfr10
03-May-06, 16:57
You mean PETS AT HOME??

krieve
03-May-06, 16:58
yes thats the one can you find out about that please robin.

rfr10
03-May-06, 17:00
Yea ok. Mite take a couple of days though.

krieve
03-May-06, 17:02
Thanks robin

gee
03-May-06, 17:40
thanks for checking that for me. its a shame evans is not coming up

Bingobabe
03-May-06, 17:45
If you have no wish to hear about shops then close your ears. Nobody is forcing you to read the thread.

I don't particularly care about what jobs are coming to Caithness but I won't complain if somebody provides such information.
Just because it is of no interest to me personally doesn't mean that I have the right to complain that somebody is providing information which is of interest to others.
Obviously we don't all know what's happening on the shops front or people would not be asking questions.

If the question of what jobs are coming to Caithness concerns you so much then don't moan about what Robin170491 is or is not telling you, make your own enquiries and put them on the board for the information of those who wish to have it.Well said jaws

Bingobabe
03-May-06, 17:53

If you could find this in your midst's then post us with the news we want to really hear.Sorry to say chillie but im interested to hear what stores may or may not be coming to wick.And what im leed to belive people can post on whatever subject that they want to within reason of course.And also i dont no what is happening on the shop front and a few others dont either so i thank people who take time to posts threads that keep us informed.:grin:

rfr10
03-May-06, 17:55
Thanks to all of the supportive people.

Bingobabe
03-May-06, 17:58
Thanks to all of the supportive people.No thank you for keeping us up to date with the latest going ons much apperciated.

rfr10
03-May-06, 17:59
It's no problem at all.

rfr10
03-May-06, 18:45
Marks and Spencers have no plans to open in Caithness at the moment but with my message of persuasion, they have said that they will pass the information on and will take it in to careful consideration.

gee
03-May-06, 19:31
farmfoods or iceland would be good to have

Chillie
03-May-06, 19:37
Marks and Spencers have no plans to open in Caithness at the moment but with my message of persuasion, they have said that they will pass the information on and will take it in to careful consideration.

Let's hope Robin with your gentle persuasion all the major stores will flock to wick. Then flop.:lol:

rfr10
03-May-06, 19:42
Then flop.:lol:

And by that, you mean...?

pultneytooner
03-May-06, 19:46
Oh, chillie, lots of people are interested in what shops come to wick and hope they don't fail.
Why is it that you seem to be against these shops opening here, have you got a vested interest in their failure or are you just trying to be controversial?
Denegrading someone elses post is not very clever, like jaws said, if you don't like the content then don't bother posting, there are a number of people interested in this because maybe they need a job and this would be the answer to their prayers, why villify them because they wan't to work?

Chillie
03-May-06, 19:46
And by that, you mean...?

Go bust:grin:

Can you find out the stats of the percentage of the shops that have remained opened. ie, homebase opened in Newport Wales they lasted 15 months and closed the doors.

rfr10
03-May-06, 19:48
Can you find out the stats of the percentage of the shops that have remained opened. ie, homebase opened in Newport Wales they lasted 15 months and closed the doors.

Shall try but that will probably be too hard to do.

Chillie
03-May-06, 19:49
Oh, chillie, don't take the proverbial, lots of people are interested in what shops come to wick and hope they don't fail.
Why is it that you seem tp be against these shops opening here, have you got a vested interest in their failure or are you just trying to be controversial?

Oh, pultneytooner i'm just playing with a wee mouse i caught.[lol]

Chillie
03-May-06, 19:51

What, a youth with all your influential contacts. Now that does surprize me!.

rfr10
03-May-06, 19:51

Tried, all I can say is that Homebase has about 300 stores and I doubt that the one in Wick will close down as it is only 1 of 2 in the Highlands.

Chillie
03-May-06, 19:52
Tried, all I can say is that Homebase has about 300 stores and I doubt that the one in Wick will close down as it is only 1 of 2 in the Highlands.

Thanks Robin.

pultneytooner
03-May-06, 19:53
Edited my previous post, sorry folks.;)

JAWS
03-May-06, 20:01
Let's hope Robin with your gentle persuasion all the major stores will flock to wick. Then flop.:lol:
Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all! These new fangled horseless-carriages are fine but they will never replace the horse and cart. You just wait and see, they will never get past the Braes at Berriedale.
Just you wait until all the Smithies are gone, what will you do then?

Chillie, now I know why the Stone age lasted so long.
What worries me is that there are those who still regret it's passing and look forward to the day when we can return to the good old days of those nice comfortable caves instead of these silly piles of stones everybody insists on living in.

Just watch all those new fangled stone pilers flop.:lol:

rfr10
03-May-06, 20:03
LOL, i haven't a clue what that all means but it sounds funny :-D

Bingobabe
03-May-06, 21:35
Go bust:grin:

Can you find out the stats of the percentage of the shops that have remained opened. ie, homebase opened in Newport Wales they lasted 15 months and closed the doors.Mmmmm what a negative attitude to have.I am thrilled that there are so many shops coming to the town its about time to.I cant belive that homebase will go bust as there are so many people who want to improve their home. And most people who i have spoken to are thrilled that they dont have to travel to inverness anymore to get the equipment that is required to do this.And i belive argos will do really well also as they stock just about everything and at a good price.Newlook will do extremely well with the younger people myself included as most people are always trying to keep up with the latest fashion.So keep a open mind as i have heard only a handfull of people are against the new shops and these are the people who have shops themselves.

Chillie
03-May-06, 21:51
Bingo my baby, I never said anything about Homebase going bust, all I said the one in Wales was shut within 15 months as it was not paying. I hope the one in Wick as with all the other new shops pay for themself as the big bosses will have no scruples on pulling the plug.

rfr10
03-May-06, 22:38
You have until the end of tomorrow to tell me any more shops you want me to find out about and then I will just be focusing on the shops listed on the main post.

Mr P Cannop
04-May-06, 05:54

its just opened so how could it close down ??

Shabbychic
04-May-06, 09:22
Is there any chance of an Optician store like Specsavers or Vision Express coming up here?

fred
04-May-06, 10:23
Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all! These new fangled horseless-carriages are fine but they will never replace the horse and cart. You just wait and see, they will never get past the Braes at Berriedale.
Just you wait until all the Smithies are gone, what will you do then?

There is nothing new about these shops, the rest of Britain got them 20 years ago and are just starting to realise what a ghastly mistake they made. People are looking at those who die in the poorer countries, the polar ice caps melting, the rain forrests that are disapearing just to maintain the excesses of countries like Britain and wishing they could turn the clock back somehow. The last patches of green are being covered with tarmac in parts of England and Caithness is being covered with windmills to feed all the tumble driers and patio heaters of the consumer society.

This isn't progress, somewhere along the line we got well and truly lost and headed off in the wrong direction. People are no happier for their superstores they get more depressed each day, people are no richer they just get deeper in debt, people are no more satisfied they just keep wanting more, enough is an unachievable goal.

We can feed peoples needs indefinitely, we can't keep on feeding peoples greeds much longer.

scotsboy
04-May-06, 10:37
Is there going to be one of those card shops that has those battery powered wee dogs/cats that scuttle about the doorway doing sommersaults?

rfr10
04-May-06, 15:53
The Edinburgh Woolen Mill have acquired a unit at Wick retail Park and plan to open on Saturday 27th May 2006

rfr10
04-May-06, 15:55
Holland and Barret have no plans at the moment to open a store in Caithness but they have taken my suggestion into consideration with their property development team.

rfr10
04-May-06, 15:57
TK MAXX have no plans to open a store in Caithness but have taken my suggestion into consideration for a new store in Caithness.

rfr10
04-May-06, 16:00
PETS AT HOME have no plans to open a store in the Caithness area however, they will be opening approx. 25 new stores this year and they have taken the suggestion for a store in Wick into consideration.

chiccool
04-May-06, 16:01
it would be good if Poundland came up here .

rfr10
04-May-06, 16:03
McDonalds have no plans to open a store in Caithness however they have taken my suggestion for a new store here into consideration.

scorrie
04-May-06, 16:08
Is there any chance of an Optician store like Specsavers or Vision Express coming up here?

They are not needed, the populous are already replete with all the rose-tinted spectacles that are necessary ;o)

Marty McFly
04-May-06, 16:36
They are not needed, the populous are already replete with all the rose-tinted spectacles that are necessary ;o)

Well said!!! :lol:

rfr10
04-May-06, 17:14
HMV have no plans to open a new store at all.

Alice in Blunderland
04-May-06, 19:11
Can you check and see if Macallans plan to take on the big boys and open up in the retail park:lol: rather than sitting down the street and watching maybe some of the local big guns should try and fly with the new kids on the block....[smirk]

Marty McFly
04-May-06, 20:05
Can you check and see if Macallans plan to take on the big boys and open up in the retail park:lol: rather than sitting down the street and watching maybe some of the local big guns should try and fly with the new kids on the block....[smirk]

Highly unlikely that will ever happen. Some months ago, some of the Thurso shopkeepers were given the opportunity to take on one of the units at the Wick retail park (Thurso shops, mind, no-one asked the Wick shopkeepers!).

The overheads of the smallest of these buildings was astronomical, and I doubt if anyone locally would have considered it. Not only that, the backside has since fallen out of the market for commercial buildings in Wick, so selling up and moving there would be a huge gamble that I very much doubt anyone would be willing to take.

willowbankbear
04-May-06, 20:53

What about JJB Sports ? I would think that all my family will be wanting new Rangers shirts this summer & thats the place to buy them now as the club shops have shut or are shutting down.

rfr10
04-May-06, 20:55
What about JJB Sports ? I would think that all my family will be wanting new Rangers shirts this summer & thats the place to buy them now as the club shops have shut or are shutting down.
Don't have any info for JJB Sports yet. Sorry. I'll try to find out soon for you though.

Spirit
04-May-06, 21:07

I agree, I don't know about Wick but in Thurso there is a 3 month waiting list and it's more expensive than specsavers.

What's the chances of boots expanding and opening with kids clothing sections and opticians.

rfr10
04-May-06, 21:13
ok, I'll check with them.

rfr10
04-May-06, 21:18
I've checked with vision express but I cannot get in contact with specsavers.

Venture
04-May-06, 22:50
Have to say in keeping with the "New Shops" subject on here that Tom Allan's letter in the Courier about Alistair Richard's presentation of the case against Tesco made to the Planning Cttee, was brilliant.

bagpuss
04-May-06, 23:05
Okay, so there's lots of excitement over the new shops. What have the orgers actually purchased from them? And how much did it all cost?

Let me kick off for starters:
Homebase:
garden hose £12
cable extension £14
door knobs £8
halogen kitchen light unit £2.50
halogen desk light £39.99
scented candles(4) £25

New Look (yes, I did have a look- and their trousers are long enough- so I set snobbery aside- but I couldn't find a top modest enough to wear for work)
Suits(2) £150
Jeans (1) £15

Superdrug
A vacuum cleaner £29.99
Yves St Laurent Opium summer edition scent £35

My total spend was entirely on impluse buys- and I've now taken to leaving my credit card at home and window shopping- great fun for me- but I don't think the retailers will be quite so happy to see me without my flexible friend!

angela5
04-May-06, 23:17
Purchased an oil filled radiator from homebase for £19.99 and down the street a shop is charging £49.99 for the same radiator.[mad]

saxovtr
04-May-06, 23:20
next time you go up to homebase to buy something give me a shout and il take you a cruise in the saxo[lol]

Bingobabe
04-May-06, 23:43
:o Homebase-I bought bed linen-£16.99 + 2 photo frames-£19.99

Newlook-2 many things to type-total being-£200

Superdrug-baby milk,baby food,nappies,baby wipes,fake tan,hairspray,baby talc,ectectect-total being £60 at least;)

rfr10
05-May-06, 16:50
ICELAND have no plans to open a store in Caithness

EDDIE
05-May-06, 17:14
ICELAND have no plans to open a store in Caithness
maybey thats a blessing in disguise there food maybey cheap but its low quality food better with asda and tesco

pultneytooner
05-May-06, 20:24
Have to say in keeping with the "New Shops" subject on here that Tom Allan's letter in the Courier about Alistair Richard's presentation of the case against Tesco made to the Planning Cttee, was brilliant.

How many of tescos staff will shop in tescos, seems they can't lose as staff will be paying a proportion of their wages into their workplace, tescos have their own built in money tree just like the petro-dollar?;)

rfr10
05-May-06, 23:44
This is all the information about shops in Caithness that I can get. Hope it's been of some use to you. I'm now closing this thread. If I receive any more info from the different retailers, I will keep you informed if you want. PM or Email me and I will send you any info on shops in Caithness.

Thanks,
Robin