PDA

View Full Version : Union Fears over Hospital Future in Caithness Courier

secretsquirrel
21-Jan-10, 00:40
As a former employee of NHS Highland I am not surprised with what I read in todays Caithness Courier concerning Union Fears over future of Hospitals in Caithness.

Their was a locum consultant Obstretrician who actually applied for one of the substantive posts when these became available the first time, while he was still employed by Caithness Hospital. This Consultant was highly thought of by both staff and patients yet failed to obtain a substantive post. Yet he was good enough to work as a locum but not on a substantive post?? It was well known that he complained to the hospital manager and other senior managers in NHS Highland about the service, was that why he was not wanted???

When the last 3 consultants where appointed they where only given 2 year contracts, again why if NHS Highland wanted a long term consultant lead maternity service???

(a former midwife) who is also quoted in the article, would frequently at meetings state "why where consultants required? and the service could be run by midwifes". Is this how she obtained the General Managers post in Caithness???

Caithness/Sutherland once again needs to standup and say to NHS Highland enough is enough. Caithness/Sutherland needs its NHS Services, especially maternity and should not have them cut.

I was once at a conference where a managerment consultant showed a diagram of NHS Services where the Chief Executive and other high ranking managers can only see the services from their windows and those services in the outlying regions are seen as specks of dust on the horizon. How true when you see the nice new build offices the Senior Managers of NHS Highland live in, with the furtherest they can see being the "Black Isle".

changilass
21-Jan-10, 00:56
I think it might be well to remember that what you write on the internet can be traced back to you via you ip address should someone want to take things further.

fingalmacool
21-Jan-10, 01:03
We all remember the uproar when they tried to close the maternity ward, and the good people of Caithness got the bit between their teeth and fought for the service, but the bean counters and the overpaid managers of the NHS were not finished by half,,,, enter the stealth way of shutting down a service, reduce staff until the service is not viable, most of Caithness probably thought that this was the way the government/council/nhs would try and screw the service but no no no they probably want to close the whole hospital because we are , "and make no mistake" second class citizens up here in the wilderness that is Caithness as far as the MPs and beaurocrats that rule us in the metropolis that is central government:confused

cuddlepop
21-Jan-10, 16:10
Be afraid be very afraid, just speak to your colleagues in Portree Hospital.:~(

hunter
22-Jan-10, 23:18
I share the sentiment about retaining services.

But this is just a teensy weensy part of a much bigger picture that will soon clobber us all.

A host of public services will diminish or be axed across Britain over the next 2-5 years. The country simply doesn't have the money any more to pay for them.

The NHS can't even afford its service in Caithness as things stand at the moment - the local hospitals and GPs overspend their budget.

Whatever any politician promises before an election, I'm fairly certain the NHS will feel the pain along with every other service after the election. The Tories this week were talking of cuts of £74 billion.

The recession is about to sweep over the public sector. Services will disappear. Jobs will be lost. We will all be worse off - except, of course, the bankers whose greed precipitated it all.

I suspect the world will look very different a few years from now.