I and a few friends are travelling to Kirkwall in May
which ferry do you prefer?

donnick
19-Jan-10, 20:43
Groats ferry when does it start running, that the one i use :D

northener
19-Jan-10, 20:45
Pentalina for me.
I'd guess anyone Thurso side will use Northlink.

golach
19-Jan-10, 20:52
Groats ferry when does it start running, that the one i use :D
Sadly I do not think, you can get a bus on the Groats ferry, well not the last time I went across on it.[disgust]

froal
19-Jan-10, 20:54
I'd have to say the Pentalina as my partner works there and we get a reduced rate !! :D

northener
19-Jan-10, 20:55
I'd say the Pentalina is the better option for a number of reasons. One being that it's cheaper.:Razz

It's quicker than the Scrabster ferry and is about the same distance from Kirkwall.
If you're bringing tourists up, Golach, i'd say that the Pentalina gives a more interesting run up to Kirkwall (Scapa Flow,past the Italian Chapel and the Churchill Barriers).

Kevin Milkins
19-Jan-10, 21:12
I have not used the Scrabster one yet, but I found the Pentalina to be a nice boat.
We took my ninety year old mother in law for her first ever boat trip and it catered for her needs well.

Loraine
19-Jan-10, 21:35
I'd guess anyone Thurso side will use Northlink.

I live in Thurso but always use the Gills Bay ferry - much cheaper and quicker!!:)

bekisman
19-Jan-10, 21:44
Gills: shorter crossing, cheaper and a much better looking boat! (AND it's Andrew and Susan Banks' own money and not a subsidised route, so like to support them)

http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/

http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/

joxville
19-Jan-10, 21:49
You missed out Brian. ;)

Moira
19-Jan-10, 22:27

It all depends how you are planning to travel north Golach.

If you are travelling by car and planning touring the Orkney islands I would recommend the short-sea crossing at Gills Bay with the Pentalina.

If you are travelling by public transport north (bus or train) maybe Northlink would be your best option (if they have a connecting transport service between the bus/train station in Thurso) and then onto your accommodation booking on Orkney.

All best. :)

crayola
19-Jan-10, 22:34
The Flybe ferry of course. :)

dafi
19-Jan-10, 22:35
The quickest way across with a car and my prefered route is with the Pentalina from Gills bay to the Hope. This gives you a 40 min drive to reach Kirkwall. Scrabster to Stromness takes longer but you get the classic views of Hoy, the old man and St Johns head and thats quite a sight!

ducati
19-Jan-10, 22:42
Prefer the Pentalina but it is not a very "boaty" experience more like a luxury coach. I would recommend trying both if you get the chance in future they are very different experiences.

joxville
19-Jan-10, 22:44
I used the old Claymore from Gills Bay because it was A. cheaper, B. faster, C. closer to my destination, D. a different view, I've previously sailed from Scrabster.

Moira
19-Jan-10, 22:55
The Flybe ferry of course. :)

You seek to make fools of us all. When did a Flybe ferry/flight even begin to compare with a Pentland Firth crossing.l Go hang your broomstick up in shame! :lol:

golach
19-Jan-10, 23:13
It all depends how you are planning to travel north Golach.

If you are traveling by car and planning touring the Orkney islands I would recommend the short-sea crossing at Gills Bay with the Pentalina.

If you are traveling by public transport north (bus or train) maybe Northlink would be your best option (if they have a connecting transport service between the bus/train station in Thurso) and then onto your accommodation booking on Orkney.

All best. :)
Many thanks Moira, I am traveling by private transport, and have traveled on the Hamnavoe already, I loved it, just wanted some other opinions

Turquoise
19-Jan-10, 23:18
Well...I really like the Gills ferry. As previously mentioned, it's a splendid run up through Orkney to it - the list goes on. It didn't have a bar for me to get a nice refreshing G&T on the way back, but I'll take my own next time ;)

canuck
19-Jan-10, 23:19
I love the village of St. Margaret's Hope so my choice would be the Gills Bay Ferry. :)

Moira
19-Jan-10, 23:57
Many thanks Moira, I am traveling by private transport, and have traveled on the Hamnavoe already, I loved it, just wanted some other opinions

No probs Golach. Travelling by private transport and in a party of more than one my recommendation would be to motor North and do the short-sea crossing with the Pentalina.

Bon Voyage. :D

NLP
20-Jan-10, 00:03
Pentalina because you don't need photo ID. My wee one is daft about the Hamnavoe I will have to get ID(been saying that for 2yrs now) just so she can go on it, even if its only one way.

Boozeburglar
20-Jan-10, 00:31
I prefer Bryan Ferry.

If I am travelling to Orkney I like to go from Groats, if I have a car then Scrabster.

I love Stromness.

dietcokegirl
20-Jan-10, 13:14
I travel to Orkney every Friday and return on Sunday. Without fail i will always pick the Gills ferry over the hamnavoe when i can.

I prefer it personally because it's quicker, cheaper and nearer my destination.
The crew on the Pentalina are great, I've travelled over with my grandfather a few times and they always make sure he's comfortable. Couldn't reccommend them enough!

Vistravi
20-Jan-10, 14:32
I have used both. I unfortunatly suffer from sea sickness even on the most smoothest of days. The Hamnivoe(sp) is much more comfortable and more roomy to walk around. The pentilina(sp) is alot less roomy and comfortable but it is a beter view. I prefer the pentilina(sp)

Whitewater
20-Jan-10, 23:06
Most trips to Orkney have been from Groats, I guess it depends on the purpose of your visit, if a car is needed I have usually gone from Scrabster. However, I have been lucky enough to win two return tickets for the Pentilina, I'm looking forward to the trip, sometime in early summer once the outdoor bowling season gets going. We have many good bowling friends in Kirkwall and Longhope.

golach
20-Jan-10, 23:55
Thanks all, that gave the positive answers and voted, it look like we will be using the Pentalina, now closing this thread