PDA

View Full Version : End of an era

achingale
19-Jan-10, 16:12
Just heard that the voice of rugby Bill McLaren has died. He influenced many a young boy to take up the sport and will be greatly missed. I take it the campaign did not work in time to get him his Knighthood. He truely deserved it and hope he may get it postumously now.

Kevin Milkins
19-Jan-10, 17:15
That is sad news. I was watching a game of rugby on the telly last week and a player scored, the commentator said it was Bill Mclaren's grandson.
I was thinking at the time that we have not heard anything of him for some time.

I would say that he was the most charismatic and witty rugby commentator of all time, and will be sadly missed.:(

Tubthumper
19-Jan-10, 17:40
I'm broken. Bill played a major part in my development, even though I never met him.

golach
19-Jan-10, 20:13
a truly great man, and what a distinctive voice, he will be missed by many.

George Brims
19-Jan-10, 20:21
Bill McLaren was the best and most knowledgeable sport commentator of all time. No-one else I've come across has been as good at giving you insight into the sport they loved. His autobiography is well worth a read.

Kenn
19-Jan-10, 20:53
Will miss his discriptive turn of phrase, a truly great commentator and devotee of the sport.

Cattach
20-Jan-10, 16:52
Just heard that the voice of rugby Bill McLaren has died. He influenced many a young boy to take up the sport and will be greatly missed. I take it the campaign did not work in time to get him his Knighthood. He truely deserved it and hope he may get it postumously now.

The fasct that Bill McLaren did not get a knighthood just goes to show how useless and out of touch those people who recommend recipients are. When one sees the people who get honours and those who miss out it is clear that the system would be best abolished.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
20-Jan-10, 18:45
Attended a lecture that the great Bill McLaren gave in Edinburgh.Love for rugby was shown.His major wish though was to develop the need for kids to take themselves forward in life by developing their greatest skills.Whether through a sport or not.
We all had a cup of tea with him after.Cracker of a guy and what a sense of humour.

R.I.P Bill

Whitewater
20-Jan-10, 22:50
What I liked most about Bill was his description of the players and where they came from, as well as his genuine admiration of great players, he always spoke highly of them no matter who they played for. Not like many of todays commentators who can only see one team and are blind even to their foul play.

Metalattakk
20-Jan-10, 23:54
Bob Crampsey is gone, now Bill McLaren too. Yet John Motson still lives.

Where is the justice?
R.I.P. Mr McLaren, rugby (and sports broadcasting) has lost a shining, sparkling light.

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jan-10, 04:52
I live in Hawick. You can feel a real sense of sadness in the town here, but many in the owld mannies bars have been raising many a glass to the great man.

Aaldtimer
22-Jan-10, 05:14
Bob Crampsey is gone, now Bill McLaren too. Yet John Motson still lives.

Where is the justice?
R.I.P. Mr McLaren, rugby (and sports broadcasting) has lost a shining, sparkling light.

Bit of a sick posting this MA...might it be something to do with age?:confused

achingale
22-Jan-10, 19:19
I would like to see a memorial to him at Murrayfield. I think it would be fitting. A stand or something named in his honour. Or a scholarship maybe but definitely something.

Metalattakk
22-Jan-10, 23:04
I live in Hawick. You can feel a real sense of sadness in the town here, but many in the owld mannies bars have been raising many a glass to the great man.

As did I and a few others, earlier on tonight.

Bit of a sick posting this MA...might it be something to do with age?:confused

Nah, age has nothing to do with it. And don't get me started on the rest - Tyldesley, Pearce and David Tanner...

I would like to see a memorial to him at Murrayfield. I think it would be fitting. A stand or something named in his honour. Or a scholarship maybe but definitely something.

I'm agree. I'd be more than honoured to take my seat in the Bill McLaren Stand at Murrayfield.