PDA

View Full Version : Red meat

Tom Cornwall
18-Jan-10, 20:16
I was watching an episode of 'Come dine with me' the other day (as you do), when one of the diners, a lady from Newcastle, said that she never ate red meat because "red meat doesn't get digested, but it just rots in the stomach"...now....is that true, and is that the real reason for vegetarianism or was she talking rubbish...she may have turned me after all these years...:)

northener
18-Jan-10, 20:23
I was watching an episode of 'Come dine with me' the other day (as you do), when one of the diners, a lady from Newcastle, said that she never ate red meat because "red meat doesn't get digested, but it just rots in the stomach"...now....is that true, and is that the real reason for vegetarianism or was she talking rubbish...she may have turned me after all these years...:)

Rubbish, old chap (IMO). If it just 'rotted' then you wouldn't get any nutrients broken down from it by the thingys in yer gut. Mind you, some of the kebabs I've eaten seemed to rot out the lining of my stomach.

But you shouldn't eat tomato seeds as they will grow up your throat......:eek:

joxville
18-Jan-10, 20:24

I watched that same prog. and wondered what she was on about.

But I was then distracted by her low cut dress and didn't really listen after that. ;)

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-10, 20:30
Rubbish, old chap (IMO). If it just 'rotted' then you wouldn't get any nutrients broken down from it by the thingys in yer gut. Mind you, some of the kebabs I've eaten seemed to rot out the lining of my stomach.

But you shouldn't eat tomato seeds as they will grow up your throat......:eek:

I ate a melon seed when i was little and flipped out because of an episode i seen of Rugrats where they had to go inside chuckies stomach to get it back out before it grew inside of him. :eek:

Anyways back to the subject, red meat surely cant just rot in the stomach, if it did then that would release all kinds of bacteria that even the stomach acids wouldnt be able to break down eventually. i think thats right.... :confused

bettedaviseyes
18-Jan-10, 20:32

Not at all.
Your body has enzymes to break down the proteins that make up meat as well as the fat.
Fat is processed into cholesterol (or stored in fat cells around your body) which can line your arteries if you eat too much saturated fat -but this can be avoided by balancing your meal with vegetables and some healthy fats (in moderation) - this is what Berenise was referring to I think. Although cholesterol can last much longer than two weeks.
Protein is digested within a few hours.
Uncooked meat is treated by your body in the same way - the building blocks are all the same - cooking oly renders food tasty - not digestible.
Meat will not hang around in your body for a crazy amount of time. If humans couldn't eat meat it would end up the same as corn kernals - undigested and expelled.

joxville
18-Jan-10, 20:46
Edited
If humans couldn't eat meat it would end up the same as corn kernals - undigested and expelled.

It's just as well we eat it off the cob first. :eek: :eek:

[lol]

Stavro
18-Jan-10, 20:55

It would not hang around to rot in the stomach, but it does take a long time to digest and can accumulate in the colon. Humans cannot fully digest red meat anyway.

Red meat contains no fibre, unlike most foods eaten by veggies.

Turquoise
18-Jan-10, 21:02
Well here's my take on it...

If for example you follow a low carb diet like Atkin's, you are likely to be getting very little fibre to be flushing any food through your digestive system. This means that your digestive transit (the length of time food takes to pass through you) is lengthened and said red meat will begin putrifying in your stomach/gut. This, along with ketosis, can cause terribly bad breath.

If you eat a healthy and balanced diet however, there is certainly no reason for a sweeping statement like her's, saying all red meat rots inside you.

Turquoise
18-Jan-10, 21:03
It would not hang around to rot in the stomach, but it does take a long time to digest and can accumulate in the colon. Humans cannot fully digest red meat anyway.

Red meat contains no fibre, unlike most foods eaten by veggies.

Pah you got there first, Stavro ;)

Stavro
18-Jan-10, 21:06
Pah you got there first, Stavro ;)

Maybe Turquoise, but yours was more detailed. :)

Invisible
18-Jan-10, 23:00
this was a class episode of CDWM. As Brenda was not wanting Red Meat, the big bloke threw a chicken in with the Meat into the slow cooker i think it was, that night Brenda was spewing up. lol:lol:.

as for the original question, I have no idea

Whitewater
19-Jan-10, 01:09
Red meat does you no harm and is as easily digested as all your other food. A balanced diet with a bit of everything is good for you and gives you all you need to keep you fit.
Nothing can beat an Upper Deck steak, except maybe 2 Upper Deck steaks washed down with lots of red wine.

sweetpea
19-Jan-10, 01:54

Depends how you look at it:roll:

roadbowler
19-Jan-10, 02:42
Well here's my take on it...

If for example you follow a low carb diet like Atkin's, you are likely to be getting very little fibre to be flushing any food through your digestive system. This means that your digestive transit (the length of time food takes to pass through you) is lengthened and said red meat will begin putrifying in your stomach/gut. This, along with ketosis, can cause terribly bad breath.

If you eat a healthy and balanced diet however, there is certainly no reason for a sweeping statement like her's, saying all red meat rots inside you.
good post. Autointoxocation can be caused by eating meat. Autointoxication is basically caused by constipation. Messes wi the flora in the intestines describing what turquoise describes above. Slowly poisons you, the blood, the organs and the brain. Red meat does not rot inside you though. It is already rotting when you eat it. The beast is killed and within a few hours bacteria starts to work on it (rot) it.

Leanne
19-Jan-10, 09:31
It is already rotting when you eat it. The beast is killed and within a few hours bacteria starts to work on it (rot) it.

And then it's hung for a further 28 days...

Kevin Milkins
19-Jan-10, 09:57
The best tasting beef steak that I have ever tasted have been in Ireland, and when I have asked why ,they say they hang there meat for longer.

I have also heard that if you are a regular eater of red meat, you will always have at least three pound of undigested meat in your system.:eek: Probably an old wives tale.

northener
19-Jan-10, 10:11
Going on about hanging meat. Proper beef and lamb should be hung for a couple of weeks for the taste and texture to develop.. The taste is totally different from the bright red slimy stuff that is packaged and bunged on the shelves in supermarkets.

Leanne
19-Jan-10, 10:21
28 days is the best time to hang. Kobi steak is the nicest - grazed on volcanic grass in Japan and is hung for 31 days :) But then it has a price tag to match the taste :lol:

loganbiffy
19-Jan-10, 12:41
Red meat does take longer to break down in the stomach than most other meats.
It can "go off" in your stomach/colon due to the large amount of time spent there due to the high protein and fat content. Still, it doesn't put me off eating it at all.

Someone mentioned the Upper Deck steaks above, sadly, nowhere near what they used to be, luckily I acquired the recipe a good few years back :)

Also Leanne mentioned Kobi Beef, it is now being reared in Scotland and promises some of the finest tasting meat around. Rather pricey though!

annthracks
19-Jan-10, 13:03
Also Leanne mentioned Kobi Beef, it is now being reared in Scotland and promises some of the finest tasting meat around. Rather pricey though!

Is it going to be as good tasting as the stuff that has been raised on "Japanese volcanic grass" though??
I'll bet they won't be shipping in fields of it for them.

Stavro
19-Jan-10, 15:31
Going on about hanging meat. Proper beef and lamb should be hung for a couple of weeks for the taste and texture to develop.. The taste is totally different from the bright red slimy stuff that is packaged and bunged on the shelves in supermarkets.

Totally repulsive.

It's certainly true that the world can be divided into vegetarians and carnivores. :eek:

bekisman
19-Jan-10, 15:51
oh, and never swallow chewing gum; it'll stick to your heart..

Well I was only young, 60 years ago.

Phill
19-Jan-10, 18:07
Nothing can beat an Upper Deck steak, except maybe 2 Upper Deck steaks washed down with lots of red wine.

:D:D

Now there's a diet I'd like to try, just need someone to pick up the tab though.

Phill
19-Jan-10, 18:13

Aye, the red stuff. Yer want it brown wiv a little bit o' white fluff on.

The red bit comes from the wine and lashings of it.

Phill
19-Jan-10, 18:14
Totally repulsive.

Some of the stuff they try and pass off as meat is!
:cool: