PDA

View Full Version : What is it with beetroot?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Jan-10, 18:54
Jars are so easy to open,jam,pickled onions(oh yes!!!),curry sauces.Why,oh why,do jars of beetroot need the same force of an atomic bomb to open naturally.Yet when ye tap the jar on a work top it opens so easily.Why?Why the beetroot?:confused::confused::p

joxville
18-Jan-10, 18:57
Jars are so easy to open,jam,pickled onions(oh yes!!!),curry sauces.Why,oh why,do jars of beetroot need the same force of an atomic bomb to open naturally.Yet when ye tap the jar on a work top it opens so easily.Why?Why the beetroot?:confused::confused::p

Beetroot? Beats me! Bye.

northener
18-Jan-10, 19:01
I blame the Gubbernment.

That and the Cooncil not having enough grit.

Kenn
18-Jan-10, 19:39
Sounds like it's got you beat!

Turquoise
18-Jan-10, 19:46
Don't worry I'm sure he'll get to the root of the problem...

Vistravi
18-Jan-10, 21:13
They just need more elbow grease ;)

Rictina
18-Jan-10, 21:17
Ha ha, your all so funny, lmao.

Invisible
18-Jan-10, 22:56

The question is why on earth you would want to eat beetroot?
And as for the jars, use an elastic band for grip

Creme_Egg
19-Jan-10, 10:52
Jars are so easy to open,jam,pickled onions(oh yes!!!),curry sauces.Why,oh why,do jars of beetroot need the same force of an atomic bomb to open naturally.Yet when ye tap the jar on a work top it opens so easily.Why?Why the beetroot?

I think Mr. Cedric here has way to much time on his hands, which he should spend growing his own beetroot and jarring it.

Tough question though im sure its on the minds of many [disgust]

Rheghead
19-Jan-10, 11:45
Why the beetroot?:confused::confused::p

If i remember rightly, pickled beetroot will turn blue eventually when left to the open air due to oxidation. In a jar, the amount of oxygen in the air bubble will react with the red dye in the beet root thus causing the lid to pull down harder than if no oxidation had took place with other pickles making the lid harder to turn.

annthracks
19-Jan-10, 12:54
If i remember rightly, pickled beetroot will turn blue eventually when left to the open air due to oxidation. In a jar, the amount of oxygen in the air bubble will react with the red dye in the beet root thus causing the lid to pull down harder than if no oxidation had took place with other pickles making the lid harder to turn.

sorry but in my experience, old pickled beetroot always turns an unappetising brown :P bleuch!

Venture
19-Jan-10, 13:46
sorry but in my experience, old pickled beetroot always turns an unappetising brown :P bleuch!
I was just going to post the same annthracks. Definitely not blue.

Kevin Milkins
19-Jan-10, 17:22
I blame global warming.:roll:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
20-Jan-10, 18:54
[lol][lol][lol].C'mon the Beetroot!!!!!!

Rheghead
20-Jan-10, 19:44

Ah yes I think it is red cabbage when I come to think about it that turns blue, anyway the principle could be the same with oxidation, colour change to brown indicates that this could make the lid harder to pull off.