PDA

View Full Version : Owl?

Ricanna
17-Jan-10, 20:07
Switched on the light in my steading yesterday about 6.30 am, caught a glimpse of something white/grey silently gliding out of the big door. Then saw same bird in the courtyard as I switched another light on--too gloomy to see it clearly--move silently away. Size of a large cat--was it an owl if so and what type was it likely to be. If not what might it have been?

Kenn
17-Jan-10, 21:13
From your discription would think the most likely candidate was a Barn Owl.
Have you ever heard a call that sounds like a screech at night? If so that would confirm it as that owl is also known as the Scritch or Screech Owl.

nirofo
18-Jan-10, 01:42
Switched on the light in my steading yesterday about 6.30 am, caught a glimpse of something white/grey silently gliding out of the big door. Then saw same bird in the courtyard as I switched another light on--too gloomy to see it clearly--move silently away. Size of a large cat--was it an owl if so and what type was it likely to be. If not what might it have been?

Here's a photo of one, is this anything like you saw.

Barn Owl
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Birds/BarnOwljuvatnesthole.jpg

nirofo.

porshiepoo
18-Jan-10, 11:58

Probably a Barn Owl. Barn Owls don't hoot but listen out for a hissing noise - that'd be a Barn Owl.

Ricanna
23-Jan-10, 20:12
Thanks for your replies. Did not get the impression there was any brown feathering on the bird but perhaps in flight or near flight you do not see this.

This bird did not make a sound but I regularly hear night time screaming/screeching sounds

nirofo
23-Jan-10, 22:18
Thanks for your replies. Did not get the impression there was any brown feathering on the bird but perhaps in flight or near flight you do not see this.

This bird did not make a sound but I regularly hear night time screaming/screeching sounds#

It's unlikely you'd see the brown markings on the bird at night, most views are from below when the bird is caught in the light, they appear very pale, almost white and ghostly. I'm sure many of the old ghost superstitions were the results of seeing a Barn Owl at night. The only white Owl that occurs as an occasional visitor here is the Snowy Owl, but these birds are not usually nocturnal and are moorland or open country birds anyway and not associated with buildings. I would say that if you have also heard screeching sounds in the area where you saw the Owl, then you almost certainly have a Barn Owl.

nirofo.

Ricanna
24-Jan-10, 19:15
I hope it comes back but perhaps it is not peaceful enough here --animals lights etc for it to be a regular visitor. Should i set up a nesting box just in case or is that a waste of time

nirofo
24-Jan-10, 21:43
I hope it comes back but perhaps it is not peaceful enough here --animals lights etc for it to be a regular visitor. Should i set up a nesting box just in case or is that a waste of time

Providing you don't disturb it where it's roosting I don't think it'll be too bothered about your normal activities around and about, these birds have been associated with man for thousands of years. If you know where the Owl is roosting on a regular basis, wait until you know it's out of the area then see if there's a dark corner under the roof, darker the better and preferably with it's own access. Make an oblong open top wooden box approx 2' long x 12" wide x 12" deep, line the bottom with about an inch of sawdust and fine wood shavings, (not the dusty type). Set up the box in the dark corner or wherever you think the Owl is roosting, leave just enough room for the Owl to get in over the top, then leave it alone. Don't go near it or be inquisitive for at least a couple of months. If you want I can come out and have a look if that will help. PM me.

nirofo.