PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Inspectors

scrabster view
17-Jan-10, 11:54
Does anybody know how to contact the "Smoking Inspectors".

My uncle works in an office where both the boss, and another colleague, continue to smoke. [evil]

The office is rented and although the landlord has issued letters to all offices in the building regarding smoking, these are being ignored.

BINBOB
17-Jan-10, 13:03

My uncle works in an office where both the boss, and another colleague, continue to smoke. [evil]

The office is rented and although the landlord has issued letters to all offices in the building regarding smoking, these are being ignored.

Maybe need ENVIRONMENT HEALTH.......via council.:roll:

EDDIE
17-Jan-10, 13:31

The thing you have to watch out for if your uncle is the only non smoker and he has maid comments about smoking if someone reports them for smoking he might get the blame for it

Katy
17-Jan-10, 13:37
The thing you have to watch out for if your uncle is the only non smoker and he has maid comments about smoking if someone reports them for smoking he might get the blame for it

Yeah that is true but with it being rented too it could be between the uncle and the landlord and if they have had letters from the landlord already. Just hope the company/business doesn't see this on the .org or they will know who is to blame.....

I do think it is wrong though that they are smoking in a work enviroment esp when there is non smokers its not fair.

Katy xx

M R
17-Jan-10, 13:46
Maybe before taking this to the authority's, your uncle should be having a word with his Boss ??????

Like eddie has mentioned, who's going to get the blame. If he values his job, it's better to tackle it head on rather than grassing on the boss to the law, to put it bluntly.

If he hasn't said anything to him, the boss may think your uncle dosn't mind.

Maybe a discreet letter if he's not confident enough to speak to him, but better to talk.

riggerboy
17-Jan-10, 15:13

try using the telephone duh

upolian
17-Jan-10, 15:18
try using the telephone duh

lol rep'd for that:lol:

piratelassie
17-Jan-10, 23:20
Install a fan and every time they lite up turn it on and spray air freshner about, maybe they'll get the message.....:D

EDDIE
18-Jan-10, 08:23
If iwas him all he has to say to his boss the office stinks u better watch the landlord or smoking inspector doesnt come in and thats a good way to start the topic i used to smoke and smokers cant smell what a non smoker can and everytime someone lights up a fag have a moan about the smell and lecture them about smoking because one thing a smoker hates is ex smoker or non smoker lecturing them when there smoking
I wouldnt phone up and report it that will cause a lot of trouble and bad feeling about the office
I cant really slag the smoker to be honest about it because when i smoked i broke all the rules to it just goes to show you how addictive it is and if these 2 people are forced outside to smoke there will be fireworks thats why its best to talk to them and try to make it there choice to go outside

philupmaboug
18-Jan-10, 12:02
They are breaking the law...report them! People are always banging on about criminals on this forum, well these people are criminals so get them reported.

Creme_Egg
18-Jan-10, 13:17
I would make sure there are posters up first?

Cabbies are the worst for smoking in the taxi! Why do they not get done?.......

stewart4364
18-Jan-10, 13:37
At the time the smoking ban was implemented Council staff visited various premises outlining to the proprietor/manager what was required of them. No smoking posters etc. were also handed out so that they could be displayed in a prominent place.
It is also against the law to smoke in any works vehicle even although you may be the sole occupant -- this also applies to taxi vehicles whether it is occupied or not.
Your uncle should check to see if the necessary posters are displayed (I think it is the responsibility probably of the landowner initially to ensure that posters are displayed and the tenant should also be aware of his/her responsibilities)
Your uncle should contact Environmental Health at the local Council and let them know that the law is being broken. They should then visit and speak to the tenant. Hopefully that should clear the air. Sorry no pun intended.

thebigman
19-Jan-10, 20:54
Get your uncle to call 01955 607737 and explain the situation. EHO will visit for health & safety inspection and raise smoking issues during inspection.

EDDIE
20-Jan-10, 19:42
Sometimes its easy to come onto a forum and give the correct reply in reporting the offender but its a whole lot different when its your problem and it could come back on you.

M R
20-Jan-10, 19:49
Sometimes its easy to come onto a forum and give the correct reply in reporting the offender but its a whole lot different when its your problem and it could come back on you.

Agreed, BEFORE you think about Grassing on someone in YOUR work place, there are lots of things to consider.

Try and sort it out face to face, there to much back stabbing (bleeps) that are willing to do just that because they have no balls to say it to your face.

If they were to take this issue by the horns and nothing has changed, then, ONLY then would i even think about taking it further.

Whitewater
20-Jan-10, 23:10

Well said Eddie, so true. You have to tread very lightly with this sort of thing.

northener
21-Jan-10, 10:53
I would make sure there are posters up first?

Cabbies are the worst for smoking in the taxi! Why do they not get done?.......

Because people come on here complaining about them instead of reporting them to the Taxi Inspectorate?

Just a thought.........