PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Raptors

ducati
17-Jan-10, 11:42
Hi I wonder if anyone can supply a definitive list of all the birds of prey to be seen in Caithness and Sutherland.

I've identified all the ones you see frequently but on occasion I have seen birds in the distance that I don't immediately recognise when I haven’t had binoculars handy.

I know there are web sites but have found that what people actually see doesn’t necessarily correspond.

Thanks

Kenn
17-Jan-10, 13:30
Would be a problem to supply a definitive list as birds will turn up from time to time in the most unlikely places.
Like yourself there has been the odd occasion when I have seen birds ,either silhouetted against the sun or too far away to make a positive identification.
Have seen all the following which I trust may be of help to you.
Buzzard,Hen Harrier,Merlin,Peregrine,SparrowHawk,Shrike(Which I don't think is a resident,)and I know that there hasve been a few sightings of Sea Eagles and Golden Eagles that some times stray into the county and over the border to the south there are Ospreys and Kites.
I presume that you are meaning raptors and not such other predatory birds such as Skuas and the like.
Hopefully there are others who can be more specific than myself.

ducati
17-Jan-10, 13:36
Thanks for that, I've seen all the above except for Shrike and Golden Eagle (in Caithness) I had a great time watching a nest on Mull last spring.

I saw a large bird around about Golspie heading home from Inverness a few weeks ago that I thought might have been a juvinile White Tailed Sea Eagle. Does anyone know of any in that area?

nirofo
17-Jan-10, 16:35
Here's a list of all the Raptors etc that breed or have bred in Caithness and are regular or occasional visitors. There may well be others that are occasional or have occurred on passage.

Sea Eagle
Golden Eagle - breeder
Osprey - breeder
Buzzard - breeder
Red Kite
Black Kite
Peregrine - breeder
Gyr falcon
Kestrel - breeder
Merlin - breeder
Hobby
Goshawk - breeder
Sparrowhawk - breeder
Hen Harrier - breeder
Marsh Harrier - breeder
Barn Owl - breeder
Short-eared Owl - breeder
Long-eared Owl - breeder
Tawny Owl - breeder
Snowy Owl
Eagle Owl
Red-backed Shrike - Visitor, occasional breeder
Great Grey Shrike.

nirofo.

ducati
17-Jan-10, 22:33
Here's a list of all the Raptors etc that breed or have bred in Caithness and are regular or occasional visitors. There may well be others that are occasional or have occurred on passage.

Sea Eagle
Golden Eagle - breeder
Osprey - breeder
Buzzard - breeder
Red Kite
Black Kite
Peregrine - breeder
Gyr falcon
Kestrel - breeder
Merlin - breeder
Hobby
Goshawk - breeder
Sparrowhawk - breeder
Hen Harrier - breeder
Marsh Harrier - breeder
Barn Owl - breeder
Short-eared Owl - breeder
Long-eared Owl - breeder
Tawny Owl - breeder
Snowy Owl
Eagle Owl
Red-backed Shrike - Visitor, occasional breeder
Great Grey Shrike.

nirofo.

Brilliant, thanks for that-I've a way to go then!