PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Cookers, slow cookers etc

Rheghead
17-Jan-10, 04:40
They used to be all the rage in the 70s and 80s but my perception is that they aren't being used as often today. Does anybody still use them and do you recommend them?

Metalattakk
17-Jan-10, 06:05
I use a slow cooker sometimes. It's brilliant for soup and stew and casseroley-type stuff.

Simple too, just chuck the stuff in, add water and off to work. When you get home, it's ready to go.

Now, if you were talking about Breville Sandwich Toasters and the pointless Soda Stream, however.... ;)

EDDIE
17-Jan-10, 09:00
I think it will be like most kitchen gadgets you use it for a month or so and then it gets parked up in cupboard and never used again.
The only thing i use all the time is the steamer that is handy and you dont need to keep an eye on it compared to a pan.
The thing with slow cookers its ok walking away and leaving it but the downside with that is you shouldnt leave any electrical equipment on if you are going out in case of a fire

golach
17-Jan-10, 09:04
I use both, just learning about my slow cooker, everything has been a success so far.

Katy
17-Jan-10, 09:31
I love using our slow cooker for stews etc, meat is lovely and tender and use our steamer the whole time too!

My hubby will only eat carrots when done in the steamer...seems to make them tasty doing them in the steamer. And like someone said far easier as you don't have to keep an eye on pans!

Kxxx

Bobbin
17-Jan-10, 10:30
I quite often use my slow cooker and steamer. Fancy a pressure cooker but I think I'd be scared of it. :eek:

starflower
17-Jan-10, 11:18
I love my slow cooker its a great way to make healthy meals in one pot for all the family, especially when you are working all day and dont always feel like making dinner when you get home. Wouldn't be without it.:D

flowertot
17-Jan-10, 11:25
wouldn't be without either. Pressure cooker brilliant for making soup etc.

Mrs Bucket
17-Jan-10, 11:27
Slow cooker everytime I use it all the time it is the only gadget that has lasted the test of time and I have had a fair few. I even use it for steamed puddings never fails.

ShelleyCowie
17-Jan-10, 11:42
I would love to have a slow cooker. I think it will be on my birthday list! :Razz i cook alot of stews and things so it would be good to have!

My granny has used pressure cookers for years and years. She is an absolute pro at it. When i had a go, i mucked it up! Lol.

miller30
17-Jan-10, 12:03
My hubby bought me a slow cooker and it makes the best stew ever!! Even the children who wernt keen on stew before love it done in the slow cooker.

Havent been brave yet and tried much eles in it though.

Fluff
17-Jan-10, 12:05
They became popular again a few years ago. I would like to get one at some point, mmm, stew!

shazzap
17-Jan-10, 12:19
I cook stew, curry, joints of meat and chicken.
I find it best to brown your meat off first.

We used to have a pressure cooker they are good if you want something cooked quickly.

Phill
17-Jan-10, 12:26
Aye, big up for slow cookers and steamers. As Metalattakk says, lob it in the slow cooker and off to work, that's what the wife does and she can dish it up for me when she gets in.

Also the steamer is crackin for perfect rice, curry in the slow cooker, rice in the steamer, job done.

We've also got one of those lean mean grill thingy's, wifey is very adept at using that as a sandwich toaster. It's also good for grillin' healthy (ish) kebabs!

Hoida
17-Jan-10, 12:27
Use slow cooker couple of times a week sometimes more often,stews,chicken, joints of meat etc, etc also good for rice pudding.
Also have asteamer which don't use very often usually if we have visitors.:D

annemarie482
17-Jan-10, 14:44
they're not unpopular. its just people are turning to "fast food"

i use mine most days as the family dinner is then ready to eat when i come home from work! brilliant. it keeps your meats really tender too.

would be lost without it.

teenybash
17-Jan-10, 14:57
I use my pressure cooker all the time and wouldn't be without it......everything tastes lovely and saves such a lot of time.

joxville
17-Jan-10, 15:03
I use a pressure cooker and a steamer, occassionally the sandwich toaster too.

Margaret M.
17-Jan-10, 15:24
I love the crockpot and steamer. Pressure cookers scare me -- years ago when I was on vacation at my in-laws something cooking smelled good. I don't know how pressure cookers are designed nowadays but back then there was a weight thingie on top of the lid so when I tried to lift the lid up to peek inside, the weight came off in my hand and steam shot to the ceiling.

Dog-eared
17-Jan-10, 16:05
I use a pressure cooker most weeks.

Rheghead
17-Jan-10, 23:56
I think the slow cooker gets most people's vote might be worth an investment.

bekisman
18-Jan-10, 00:08
Got one of these Crockpots: http://www.pots-and-pans.co.uk/acatalog/Crockpot_Saute_Slow_Cooker__7500_Model.html (http://www.pots-and-pans.co.uk/acatalog/Crockpot_Saute_Slow_Cooker__7500_Model.html) very pleased with it - shove some chopped up carrots, swede, onions, chunks of meat, hot water switch it on and 8 hours later; delicious!

Fran
18-Jan-10, 01:54
Slow cooker is great, i now have a small one, and it cooks the meat so tender. Put everything in and come home later and it is ready.
At night make the porridge and get up to a ready made hot breakfast....lovely.

Slow cookers are only £10 in Tesco...a bargain.

Kevin Milkins
18-Jan-10, 01:59
Mrs M is my slow cooker, (she seems to take forever to cook the dinner):lol:

It's been a while since we have used our slow cooker, but we have had the same one for many years it and always does the job very well.:Razz

We used to have one of those sandwich toaster things, I liked to put a slice of bread, then some baked beans, then a slice of corned beef, and then top it off with some more beans and another slice of bread, Mmmmmm, a bit of brown sauce, perfect. It used to seal the sandwich into two separate halves, but you had to be careful because they always turned out red hot. Not sure what happened to that thing.:confused

joxville
18-Jan-10, 02:12
Mrs M is my slow cooker, (she seems to take forever to cook the dinner)

It's been a while since we have used our slow cooker, but we have had the same one for many years it and always does the job very well.

We used to have one of those sandwich toaster things, I liked to put a slice of bread, then some baked beans, then a slice of corned beef, and then top it off with some more beans and another slice of bread, Mmmmmm, a bit of brown sauce, perfect. It used to seal the sandwich into two separate halves, but you had to be careful because they always turned out red hot. Not sure what happened to that thing.:confused

It's probably in the cupboard along with the foot spa, the soda stream, the electric knife, electric tin opener, beaded seat cover, hostess trolley, the coffee maker; and my favourite-the goblin teasmade. ;)

[lol]

Fran
18-Jan-10, 02:15
You will have to buy a new one Kevin, they are only £10 in Tesco.

joxville
18-Jan-10, 02:18
Get them in Tesco Kevin, bargain at £10.

Kevin Milkins
18-Jan-10, 10:11
You will have to buy a new one Kevin, they are only £10 in Tesco.

Get them in Tesco Kevin, bargain at £10.

First job this morning is Tesco, (coincidently) I might have a shot at a new one of them.:Razz
I think the one we used to have was a Breville.

Kevin Milkins
18-Jan-10, 10:26
It's probably in the cupboard along with the foot spa, the soda stream, the electric knife, electric tin opener, beaded seat cover, hostess trolley, the coffee maker; and my favourite-the goblin teasmade. ;)

[lol]

You missed out the JML veg slicer, apple peeler, egg separator,and the fondue set, Jox.:lol:

Phill
18-Jan-10, 12:21
You missed out the JML veg slicer

JML!! What a purveyor of tat....erm fantastic labour saving devices.
Where would we be without JML.

Yeah, a few quid better off.

northener
18-Jan-10, 13:43
We've got the Mother Of All Pressure Cookers at schloss Northener, we've had it since the mid eighties and only stopped using it for cooking recently because the rubber seal finally gave up the ghost and I can't find a replacement.

But it still gets used for boiling partans and blue chiels these days because it's so big.

We use a steamer for cooking all our veg, great it is. And Mr Formbys' lean mean gorilla machine is great for belly pork and chops.:Razz

Kevin Milkins
18-Jan-10, 14:34
I just picked up a new sandwich toaster from Tesco for £8-49, and it's brilliant.:Razz
I tried a beans and corn beef filling and it was every bit as good as I remember, I enjoyed so much I tried a beans with cheese filling and that was even better.:D

I feel this is just the start of a beautiful relationship,:roll: thanks for starting this thread Rheghead, and a good rep is on it's way.

dolly
18-Jan-10, 14:48
They have spare parts for pressure cookers in Shearers Wick.Not a lot but worth a try!

Fran
18-Jan-10, 17:42
I must pop round to Kevins house for a toasted cheese and onion sandwich toastie yummy...im hungry now!!

You'd be surprised what you can find in shearers dolly!!!

Thumper
18-Jan-10, 18:14
I use my slow cooker all the time,its great for stews etc and makes a fantastic stifado!Couldnt do without it now.x

joxville
18-Jan-10, 18:42
We've got the Mother Of All Pressure Cookers at schloss Northener, we've had it since the mid eighties and only stopped using it for cooking recently because the rubber seal finally gave up the ghost and I can't find a replacement.

My sister still uses my late mother's Prestige pressure cooker that was bought in the 70's so I assume spares are still available for it.

northener
18-Jan-10, 18:52
Well, it's a Tefal, so maybe I ought to look a bit harder - it's a good cooker at the end of the day.

joxville
18-Jan-10, 18:55
Try here Mr N. http://www.tefal.co.uk/tefal/Consumer_service/Questions_and_answers/HomeQuestionsAndAnswersTemplateFile.aspx?NRMODE=Pu blished&NRNODEGUID=%7b2227EA9D-A589-4421-84FD-D4502FBE92CA%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fConsumer%2bservice%2fQuestions%2b and%2banswers%2ffaqs_home%2ehtm%3fDdlFamily%3d%7bA E5DC443-FF1C-4941-9CE0-CDFBA57BD35B%7d&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest&DdlFamily=%7BAE5DC443-FF1C-4941-9CE0-CDFBA57BD35B%7D#q29 Bottom of the list tells you how to get spares.

northener
18-Jan-10, 20:18
Try here Mr N. http://www.tefal.co.uk/tefal/Consumer_service/Questions_and_answers/HomeQuestionsAndAnswersTemplateFile.aspx?NRMODE=Pu blished&NRNODEGUID=%7b2227EA9D-A589-4421-84FD-D4502FBE92CA%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fConsumer%2bservice%2fQuestions%2b and%2banswers%2ffaqs_home%2ehtm%3fDdlFamily%3d%7bA E5DC443-FF1C-4941-9CE0-CDFBA57BD35B%7d&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest&DdlFamily=%7BAE5DC443-FF1C-4941-9CE0-CDFBA57BD35B%7D#q29 Bottom of the list tells you how to get spares.

Thangyou koind zurr. Never underestimate the power of the .Org:Razz

It doesn't list my 8ltr Sensor on there, but I've a feeling that one of the alternatives is actually the same gasket. I will investigate further.

Whitewater
19-Jan-10, 01:20
We use slow cookers, steamer and pressure cookers, all great and all have their specific uses. But I must admit I once came home to soup dripping of the ceiling when I was using the pressure cooker, filled it too full, a bit of vegatable was pushed up into the 'Blow Off' blocking it, so the safety valve eventually blew. Mrs Whitewater was not pleased, in fact she made me repaint the ceiling.

sweetpea
19-Jan-10, 01:52
The slow cooker is ok if you like your food stewed to death and the pressure cooker is ok for soup.

Fran
19-Jan-10, 04:11
Just leave it on for a shorter period of time. i leave porridge on all night on "low" and it is perfect in the morning.

Mrs Bucket
19-Jan-10, 09:21
Elecric knlfe is another favourite of mine. Slices bread nicely thick or thin.

Rheghead
19-Jan-10, 10:32
Just leave it on for a shorter period of time. i leave porridge on all night on "low" and it is perfect in the morning.

I just do mine in the micro for 3 mins, job done.

golach
19-Jan-10, 10:54
I just do mine in the micro for 3 mins, job done.
Me as well, nae trouble and nae mess.

annthracks
19-Jan-10, 13:10
Slow cooker's used for stew and curries etc, only use pressure cooker when we go to my parents (boiled tatties in 5 mins), but thinking of buying a new one for up here now.

annthracks
19-Jan-10, 13:13

[lol]

AHA!! found the soda stream, thanks joxville, now to get "bizzy with the fizzy" :)

changilass
19-Jan-10, 13:17
Soda stream would get used more often if I could still get hold of the concentrates, its expensive to have them posted.

Having said that, it is used most days as I love lime and soda.

Pressure cooker is used at least once a week, don't have a slow cooker, but do have a low setting on the oven and a casserole dish, so same thing.

Kathy@watten
19-Jan-10, 13:49
Due this post I racked out my slow cooker and have made a casserole, forgotten how handy and whatnot it was! dinner will be ready and warm when I get in tonight!

topotheuk
19-Jan-10, 13:58
"Due this post I racked out my slow cooker and have made a casserole, forgotten how handy and whatnot it was! dinner will be ready and warm when I get in tonight! "

hahaha me too. Have busy day and out to college early tonight, so bunged ma steak and veg into the slow cooker and hopefully it will be fine for the men folks for their tea tonight :)

golach
19-Jan-10, 16:47
Soda stream would get used more often if I could still get hold of the concentrates, its expensive to have them posted.
Having said that, it is used most days as I love lime and soda.

What flavours would you like Changi, I think the Homebrew shop across the road sells them or used to, I can enquire.

bekisman
19-Jan-10, 17:23
Anyone remember Rena Ware? http://www.renaware.com/Our+Products/Rena+Ware+Cookware/default.aspx (http://www.renaware.com/Our+Products/Rena+Ware+Cookware/default.aspx) bought a complete set when living in Singapore in the 1960's; 'Waterless cooking' it was:
'Waterless cooking is a healthy method to prepare your food, but it requires special cookware that can often be expensive. Since many people have been using their waterless cookware for 40 years and more, the cost becomes reasonable when spread out over the years of use. The major problem people have is that the plastic handles need replacement after all those years."

Mine was still being used til about 1990's expensive, but good

Mother Bear
19-Jan-10, 20:17
I have it! When I moved in with a new partner 7 years ago, he 'encouraged' me to get rid of a lot of my own stuff as he had 'all we needed'. Alas, I let the Renaware go, and consequently regretted it. My Mum also had a set, but her cooking days are almost over,so it gets little used. Last time I was 'home'..down South, I parceled up her set and posted it back to me up here, so I have Renaware once again.[and no partner!]
I do think the food tastes so good cooked in these pans, min water, maximum efficientcy......better on a gas cooker tho, whereas I only have electric, and not so easy to control the low heat. This set was bought in the early '70's! Are you sure you can't still get replacement handles?

George Brims
19-Jan-10, 20:23
Look on eBay. I found a seal for our British-made pressure cooker on the US eBay.

George Brims
19-Jan-10, 20:30
We have a slow cooker, which is used mostly in winter time for soup, or year-round for however-many-kinds-of-beans-they-have-at-the-supermarket chili. We never used our pressure cooker. I only tried to track down a seal (see previous posting) so I could sell it complete. We have a bread maker and it gets used when we take a fancy to it, then not for ages again. Ditto the waffle maker. For toasty sandwiches it's the wee plastic bags and the ordinary toaster.
I don't know if they are selling them in the UK, but the Sodastream just reappeared on the US market with the main flaw fixed. It now makes a decent sized bottle instead of those tiny things they used to have.
The new fad over here is those one-shot coffee makers, where you buy the coffee in wee plastic tubs. Very expensive way to make coffee, but very handy I'm sure.

Ricco
20-Jan-10, 21:01
I used my slow cooker tonight, to make a casserole. We use it a lot for making casseroles and I heartily recommend one. The pressure cooker gets a lot of use as well but not as a pc - only as a heavy based pan.

Phill
20-Jan-10, 21:31
I have Renaware once again.[and no partner!]

You Renawared your partner!! :eek::eek:

'spose less hassle than a divorce.

Phill
20-Jan-10, 21:33
Due this post.....

...... I'm 'avin a nice sshteak and a portion of red wine!

Oooops, wrong thread!

Fran
21-Jan-10, 00:58
........................and what about the rice cooker? £10 in Tesco

Dadie
21-Jan-10, 21:36
The slow cooker is used regulary in my house!
The pressure cooker has never been used as a pressure cooker since I had to scrape soup from the ceiling but it is a nice big pan:lol:
My fave household toy is the steam cleaner at the moment...
The worst thing lurking in the kitchen cupboards is a grapefruit segmenter thingy that has never been used..

George Brims
22-Jan-10, 19:13
That would be a good thread - what have you had the longest and never used, but never thrown away. Ours is a yogurt maker received as a wedding present. Hope I'm remembering correctly that it wasn't from anyone in Caithness!

northener
22-Jan-10, 21:04
That would be a good thread - what have you had the longest and never used, but never thrown away. Ours is a yogurt maker received as a wedding present. Hope I'm remembering correctly that it wasn't from anyone in Caithness!

Funnily enough, we got one for a wedding present as well..and that's never been used either.