PDA

View Full Version : Fake or Real?

Stavro
17-Jan-10, 01:04
Ok, all you astronomers out there, what do you think of the latest images of the red planet? Fake or real?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1243364/Marvels-Mars-Stunning-postcards-Red-Planet.html

crayola
17-Jan-10, 01:23
Most are absolutely convincing but I think I might have found something interesting in one.

http://i49.tinypic.com/14m8hlu.jpg

Is it just me or is there something slightly odd about this photo? I can't put my finger on it but I'm getting bad vibes about it. Does anyone else get this feeling or am I seeing things that aren't really there? :confused

Stavro
17-Jan-10, 01:48
Most are absolutely convincing but I think I might have found something interesting in one.

Is it just me or is there something slightly odd about this photo? I can't put my finger on it but I'm getting bad vibes about it. Does anyone else get this feeling or am I seeing things that aren't really there? :confused

He, he. Nice one. Definitely fake, because the horizon is not level. :D

bobbyrussell09
17-Jan-10, 02:19
who cares he he

Whitewater
17-Jan-10, 02:30
Great reference Stavro. Pictures are fantastic. I recall in my distant past reading a book telling us that life on earth came from a distant planet. There are even pictures in caves the Hymalian (spelling)??? mountains of what appeared to be astronaughts in capsules sitting/lying in a take-off position very similar to what we have seen in the modern day issues from NASA and these cave drawings were engraved thousands of years ago. Gives food for fertile minds does it not?

Aaldtimer
17-Jan-10, 04:02
Great reference Stavro. Pictures are fantastic. I recall in my distant past reading a book telling us that life on earth came from a distant planet. There are even pictures in caves the Hymalian (spelling)??? mountains of what appeared to be astronaughts in capsules sitting/lying in a take-off position very similar to what we have seen in the modern day issues from NASA and these cave drawings were engraved thousands of years ago. Gives food for fertile minds does it not?

Oh Sweet Mother of Mercy, a Von Danniken(Sp) fan!
Those were from the Mayan Culture of South America I think.
Long since dismissed as sheer fantasy!:confused

gleeber
17-Jan-10, 11:34
Ok, all you astronomers out there, what do you think of the latest images of the red planet? Fake or real?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1243364/Marvels-Mars-Stunning-postcards-Red-Planet.html
Excellent photos Stavros and a testement to the technilogical abilities of modern day mankind and science in particular.
Why do you ask if they may be false?

Stavro
17-Jan-10, 18:23
Why do you ask if they may be false?

Because not everything that we are presented with is real or truthful, gleeber, as I am sure you will agree.

Leanne
17-Jan-10, 18:39
Cynic :roll:. I bet you told your kids from the start there wasn't a santa clause

bcsman
17-Jan-10, 18:42
they look real enough

Stavro
17-Jan-10, 18:47
Cynic :roll:. I bet you told your kids from the start there wasn't a santa clause

To whom are you referring?

Leanne
17-Jan-10, 18:50
To whom are you referring?

The OP of course. You yourself ;)

Stavro
17-Jan-10, 18:53
The OP of course. You yourself ;)

Then let's just say that you have lost your bet. ;)

Sapphire2803
17-Jan-10, 21:00
Fake or real?

I thought this thread was about something else entirely....

Not sure whether I'm relieved or disappointed [lol]

Invisible
17-Jan-10, 21:27
Fake or real?

I thought this thread was about something else entirely....

Not sure whether I'm relieved or disappointed [lol]

well im disappointed i thought it was gonna be something else:roll:

gleeber
17-Jan-10, 22:22
Because not everything that we are presented with is real or truthful, gleeber, as I am sure you will agree.
Well it depends what your talking about but in this case those photos are photos of our nearest planet in the universe and there should be no reason to say they are false. Is there?

crayola
17-Jan-10, 22:41
I bet you my bestest broomstick they aren't photos of the nearest planet to Earth.

northener
18-Jan-10, 15:58
I bet you my bestest broomstick they aren't photos of the nearest planet to Earth.

The moons not a planet.

It was put up there by NASA as part of a huge plot to hoodwink the public and divert attention away from the fact that the CIA were responsible for 9/11...and the sinking of the Titanic......and making milk go sour.

It's on the internet, so it must be true.....

gleeber
18-Jan-10, 18:32
I don't think crayola would chance losing her broomstick so I presume Venus is closer although both Mars and Venus are next door neighbours to Earth.
I hope my lack of knowledge does'nt stop stavros from explaining his doubts about the photos.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Jan-10, 18:40
Their real.Its one of the humans greatest achievements.The pursuit of knowledge.Some folk have spent their life on achieving these pictures.

Mind ye I have to watch what I'm saying because I once seen a picture of a black hole.Looked amazing until I found out it was a close up of Lindsay Lohans belly button.[lol][lol]

lister
18-Jan-10, 19:05
Well it depends what your talking about but in this case those photos are photos of our nearest planet in the universe and there should be no reason to say they are false. Is there?
I agree Gleeber there is no real reason to fake these.
Its like the Moon landings and all other conspiracy theories they just want to mess with the goo inside yer head..

lister
18-Jan-10, 19:07
Then again if ye look real hard ye can just see Clarkson,May and the hamsters tyre tracks in the sand,,another unreal challenge that Clarkson always wins,,;)

Stavro
18-Jan-10, 20:59
I don't think crayola would chance losing her broomstick so I presume Venus is closer although both Mars and Venus are next door neighbours to Earth.

crayola may well lose her broomstick - it would depend when she placed the bet. Sometimes Mars is closer to us than Venus.

northener
18-Jan-10, 21:08
Venus is closest. Though I believe Crayola may be referring to the Moon.

DeHaviLand
18-Jan-10, 21:12
Venus is closest. Though I believe Crayola may be howling at the Moon.

Fixed it for you Northener ^^:)

Stavro
18-Jan-10, 21:12
Venus is closest. Though I believe Crayola may be referring to the Moon.

No, sir. Venus is usually the closest, but not all of the time.

The Moon is not a planet.

Alan16
18-Jan-10, 21:24
No, sir. Venus is usually the closest, but not all of the time.

The Moon is not a planet.

Venus is the closest the majority of the time I believe, sometimes getting as close as around 40 million kilometres. Mars gets to about 55 million kilometres at its closest.

gleeber
18-Jan-10, 21:27
Right, now thats sorted out why do you think the photos could be fake?

northener
18-Jan-10, 22:38
Fixed it for you Northener ^^:)

Ah recken yer right.

northener
18-Jan-10, 22:40
Right, now thats sorted out why do you think the photos could be fake?

I'd be more interested in listening to the reasons behind why someone should think they're fake. IYKWIM:Razz

Phill
18-Jan-10, 23:18

Are you crazy?
What the hell are you doing with this?
This is classified material!
Marvin the Martian is actually a double agent for the SoroSuub Corporation.
Al Gore as his handling agent on Earth and is peddling misinformation to dupe us about global warming so SoroSuub can exploit the planets natural resources under the guise of building windmills which are actually transmitting all the worlds wealth via super high frequency telecomunicatingtransmogrificationthingy (TM).

crayola
18-Jan-10, 23:42
Some spy you are. You're just guessing while I've been flying and actually spying.....

That's Martina, she works for SuBo Corporation. You of all people should know that Martian windfarms don't use a telecomunicatingtransmogrificationthing. They transmit their power from Beauly to Albor Tholus over the collective consciousness link. :roll:

The Mars photos are real. As I still have my bestest broomstick I checked them out earlier this evening.

Stavro
18-Jan-10, 23:56
Venus is the closest the majority of the time I believe, sometimes getting as close as around 40 million kilometres. Mars gets to about 55 million kilometres at its closest.

Venus can be as far as 261 million kilometres away from us, or about 5 times farther than Mars (when Mars is at its closest).

Stavro
19-Jan-10, 00:14
The Mars photos are real. As I still have my bestest broomstick I checked them out earlier this evening.

You can't have - you lost it in the bet, remember?

http://mars1.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/realtime/odyssey.jpg