PDA

View Full Version : Hardy Shrubs info

mccaugm
01-May-06, 17:38
Hi,

I have a small garden bed at the side of my house, I have managed to plant 5 shrubs/spreading plants so far (with help from a lovely chap in homebase whos name escapes me).
I have 2 more spaces left for shrubs/spreading plants - any suggestions as I am not very green fingered. Also with Caithness weather being so unpredictable, do I have to water outdoor plants everyday?

Halkirk chickie

janette
02-May-06, 13:32
Try some potentilla, they come in various colours, or/and Hebe, they keep their leaves in winter, so you have some colour throughout the year. Either or these don't grow very tall, so safe from the wind, especially today

good luck

mccaugm
03-May-06, 18:19
Thanks for the tip, will take it on board. Probably drag my husband to Homebase again unless anyone knows of a better garden centre local to Halkirk.

Halkirk chickie

janette
03-May-06, 22:45
have you tried Mrs Sinclair, Shinvall Garden Centre , on the left at Glengolly, as you approach Thurso from Halkirk - she is very good and can tell you if and what will survive in Caithness. Her bags of compost are the same price as Homebase, and yes she is local