PDA

View Full Version : Schools and First Aid

Connor.
16-Jan-10, 17:26
Learned a bit of first aid yesterday as part of my course at college.

Was surprised how little I knew about most of the things discussed in the talk. The last time I recieved any kind of first aid training was in Primary school(Primary 5 or 6 i think) and since then I have not remembered any of it.

I think it should be compulsary to do first aid in high school as i'm pretty sure alot of people don't know how to react in a situation where they are faced with someone who needs first aid.

I reckon alot of deaths or life threatening injuries could be avoided if people knew how to react.

Is there anyone doing first aid in schools? I was never taught it in THS.

upolian
16-Jan-10, 17:29
i agree with you

ive been on a course and it certainly open's your eyes!

Bobinovich
16-Jan-10, 17:33
I wholeheartedly agree - in the absence of common sense from many parents thesedays, high school should prepare everyone for real life which, IMO, should also include cooking, budgeting / handling money, record keeping, DIY, even simple car maintenance (topping up, changing bulbs, etc.) and I'm sure a few others will add more to this list.

In many respects it'll be far more useful to the kids in the long run than algebra, French, etc.

Connor.
16-Jan-10, 17:46
Yeah, i think Life Skills are more important than some of the classes being taught at schools.

I for one haven't a clue about DIY and if i'm honest i probably would hire a professional to get it done properly. However that certainly costs.

Preservation of life and ones self is top of the list to be honest and it's alarming how little people know about it.

ShelleyCowie
16-Jan-10, 19:31
First aid training is something useful to know, i am St Johns ambulance trained and it really opened my eyes as to how much there was to know. All very useful.

Agree with you completely Bobinovich. I dont remember any French from school, remember very little of alot of subject tbh. And cooking was not my strong point back then even tho i did try and learn.

Teens need to learn these basic skills i think. One for the men tho is learn how to use a hoover, change the toilet roll, work a washing machine!! [lol]

No offence intended to the men who already know, but they do need to learn too! :D

Invisible
16-Jan-10, 19:52
In many respects it'll be far more useful to the kids in the long run than algebra, French, etc.

I always regret not paying attention in French and German class.

First Aid is something I would like to learn, if it was taught in High School I could have applied for that Ambulance man job

EDDIE
16-Jan-10, 20:28
I always regret not paying attention in French and German class.

First Aid is something I would like to learn, if it was taught in High School I could have applied for that Ambulance man job

Why would you regret not learning french or german the langauge is only a benifit if you are going to the country english is an international langauge there you can get buy with that.
For me its people in other langauges that benifits more buy learning another langauge like english because they can use that skill in any country becuse english is a international language.

Invisible
16-Jan-10, 20:34
Why would you regret not learning french or german the langauge is only a benifit if you are going to the country english is an international langauge there you can get buy with that.
For me its people in other langauges that benifits more buy learning another langauge like english because they can use that skill in any country becuse english is a international language.

Cos i would use it to show off

stiggy
16-Jan-10, 20:56
Totally agree with Bobinovich life skills would be a lot more useful to everybody rather than some of the silly stuff we were taught.

Basic first aid should be a must in this day and age how many people would know how to deal with someone having a seizure, or dealing with someone with diabetes.

How do we get schools to include this.

twiglet
16-Jan-10, 22:05
I had to learn first aid at college as I was training for childcare and several times since, as in various jobs, I was a first aider. It stood me in good stead when faced with heart attacks, siezures and general cuts, slips, trips and falls. It would be usefull for kids to learn this in school as you never know what life is going to throw at you.

I was also taught how to change a plug/fuse as well as basic diy, plumbing, common sense stuff like what to do if the electricity trips. Cooking was taught as well as some of the girlie stuff like how to pluck your eyebrows correctly(wasn't so keen on the girlie stuff). For some reason the tutors looked on all that as a little light relief for us in a very intensive course but it still comes in usefull today. A little basic knowlege sometimes goes a long way.

Cazaa
17-Jan-10, 00:01
Totally agree with Bobinovich life skills would be a lot more useful to everybody rather than some of the silly stuff we were taught.

Basic first aid should be a must in this day and age how many people would know how to deal with someone having a seizure, or dealing with someone with diabetes.

How do we get schools to include this.

I thought that schools did teach this in their Guidance classes (or is it PSE these days?) - We used to get the resuscitation doll out in class. Has it changed so much over the years? You obviously know more about it than me.

A lot of primary schools over here are aware of what to do if their friends have seizures or have to use a 'pen' for injecting medicine. Is it not the same over there too.

Phill
17-Jan-10, 00:24
..... some of the girlie stuff like how to pluck your eyebrows correctly

Now that is useful stuff, y'know when it comes to the weekend and I try and get mesel looking good and I can never get my eyebrows and eyeliner right. I just wish............

........wrong forum, wrooonng forum!!

bobbyrussell09
17-Jan-10, 00:38
i do agree ,but i fear some primary or secondry pupils will run away ,i did the course ,an to be fair i dont think these pupils will take it in

crayola
17-Jan-10, 01:02
I wholeheartedly agree - in the absence of common sense from many parents thesedays, high school should prepare everyone for real life which, IMO, should also include cooking, budgeting / handling money, record keeping, DIY, even simple car maintenance (topping up, changing bulbs, etc.) and I'm sure a few others will add more to this list.

Here's a novel idea........

Why not teach a bit of grammar in schools? :D

Teaching real life skills is fine but it wouldn't take very long to teach an average student all the things you've listed.

Margaret M.
17-Jan-10, 01:18
cooking, budgeting / handling money, record keeping, DIY, even simple car maintenance (topping up, changing bulbs, etc.) As parents, we need to take responsibility for teaching our kids the basics in life -- everything can't possibly be taught in school. Haul everyone away from the TV, computer, etc., and make some of these lessons a fun family activity. There is an abundance of instructional books and websites for practically every topic. Parents can easily teach their kids basic first aid and CPR.

Bobinovich
17-Jan-10, 01:41
Here's a novel idea........

Why not teach a bit of grammar in schools? :D

Teaching real life skills is fine but it wouldn't take very long to teach an average student all the things you've listed.

I agree it wouldn't take long so there's no real excuse in not doing it :D, and, as I said, they are skills which will truly be useful IRL! Anyway, teaching the simple rules of grammar shouldn't take long either, so why are so many of todays pupils leaving school with such a poor grasp of them? And yes I know some of the older ones struggled with them too, but it does seem to be more prevalent amongst more recent school leavers.

As parents, we need to take responsibility for teaching our kids the basics in life -- everything can't possibly be taught in school. Haul everyone away from the TV, computer, etc., and make some of these lessons a fun family activity. There is an abundance of instructional books and websites for practically every topic. Parents can easily teach their kids basic first aid and CPR.

I quite agree and am one of those hands-on parents who do teach/will be teaching my kids real life skills, but as I said in my original post there are many parents who do/will not make the effort :confused.

Fran
17-Jan-10, 03:34
I think everyone should learn CPR ..cardio pulmonary rescucitation.....look at the number of lives that could then be saved, when people have heart attacks, electric shock, drowning etc etc. It is good fun to learn too.

onecalledk
18-Jan-10, 11:21
I remember when i had my son 8 yrs ago and I asked the health visitor if there were any first aid courses i could take as i wouldnt have much of a clue if something happened to my son. She was going to check and then i asked and she was still going to check ....... like i said he is 8yrs old now.

i DO think it should be taught or courses run locally (i was in Inverness back then) and regularly.

For the comment about parents teaching children, i can teach my child what i know but cannot teach him something i dont. I havent done a first aid course and as far as i am aware you dont just get stuck in and do stuff without knowing what you are doing .....

K

_Ju_
18-Jan-10, 13:28

People who speak more than one language are less likely to suffer of senile diseases in the future. Speaking a foreign language can also have you understand your mother tongue better (ie: roots of words).

How are your English lessons coming along, Eddie? ;)