PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes these stories write themselves.

joxville
16-Jan-10, 17:11
From MSN NEWS:

The floor of a weight watchers clinic in Sweden collapsed beneath a group of people taking part in a weight loss programme. According to a report in Swedish English-language newspaper, The Local, the dieters were queueing up to see how many pounds they had lost in the past week. One person reportedly told another newspaper that "there was a huge thud, before the floor collapsed along the walls in one corner of the room." A Weight Watchers consultant told The Smalandsposten newspaper: "We're going to have to find replacement premises." The cause of the collapse is still being investigated by local authorities, and none of the people involved were injured.

When I saw the headline I hoped it had happened in America, still funny none the less. :)

Whitewater
17-Jan-10, 02:53
Just reading the post as a retired engineer, I have to ask if the floor was fit for purpose. Obviously not. Somebody should get their bum kicked.

Margaret M.
17-Jan-10, 03:04
From MSN NEWS: When I saw the headline I hoped it had happened in America,

Why were you hoping for that?

joxville
17-Jan-10, 03:15

Because, rightly or wrongly, Americans are perceived by us utterly health conscious Brits as a nation of fatties.

Margaret M.
17-Jan-10, 03:46
Because, rightly or wrongly, Americans are perceived by us utterly health conscious Brits as a nation of fatties.

And the U.K. pots are just a few pounds behind the U.S. kettles now. Last report I saw, U.S. has a 66% obesity rate and the U.K. waddled into 2nd place with 60% -- both countries had better get their fat bums up and moving.

Stavro
17-Jan-10, 03:47
From MSN NEWS:

The floor of a weight watchers clinic in Sweden collapsed beneath a group of people taking part in a weight loss programme. :)

A weighty business indeed! :lol:

joxville
17-Jan-10, 15:21
And the U.K. pots are just a few pounds behind the U.S. kettles now. Last report I saw, U.S. has a 66% obesity rate and the U.K. waddled into 2nd place with 60% -- both countries had better get their fat bums up and moving.

Personally, I couldn't care less how obese both nations are, if they want to eat themselves into an early grave then so be it. Genuine health issues aside, if they can't respect their bodies then why should I waste time worrying on their behalf.

Sporran
17-Jan-10, 20:07
When I saw the headline I hoped it had happened in America, still funny none the less. :)

I was shocked at the number of fatties I saw on my visit home to the UK, this past autumn - both in England and Scotland. So it's definitely a *growing* problem over there too. I'm no Twiggy by any means, but I felt slim in comparison with some of the folk I saw. And it wasn't just middle-aged people - some were in their twenties!

joxville
18-Jan-10, 00:49
Does better living and working conditions contribute to the obesity problem? Very likely, considering that years ago most work was done manually, whereas now there are machines to do it. Plus, children don't tend to play energetically anymore, it's all PS3's and Xbox's these days.
I don't know what the figures are for the UK but I found this info when I did a search on the US obesity problem: Approximately 127 million adults in the U.S. are overweight, 60 million obese, and 9 million severely obese. http://obesity1.tempdomainname.com/subs/fastfacts/obesity_US.shtml

Interestingly, I also found this site,(here (http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html)), which gives a projected US and World population figure. Refresh your browser every few seconds and the figures will change.

Margaret M.
18-Jan-10, 03:47
Last report I saw, U.S. has a 66% obesity rate and the U.K. waddled into 2nd place with 60%

This should read 66% overweight/obese rate and the U.K. 60% -- almost half of those percentages are the obesity rates.

Sporran, I agree, at one time there used to be a noticeable difference in the weight of the people in the U.S. compared to the U.K. but now the body size of both populations look very much alike.

Anji
18-Jan-10, 15:10
I was shocked at the number of fatties I saw on my visit home to the UK, this past autumn - both in England and Scotland. So it's definitely a *growing* problem over there too. I'm no Twiggy by any means, but I felt slim in comparison with some of the folk I saw. And it wasn't just middle-aged people - some were in their twenties!

And some are a lot younger.
There seem to be a lot of tubby toddlers, children and teenagers around. Unless they get their eating habits sorted, the problem will only get worse as they get older.

onecalledk
18-Jan-10, 15:28
when i was a teenager we didnt have fast food and ready meals, we ate real food and we werent over weight. Then the US sent us MacDs and the like and diet food. The worst thing in the world is diet anything, full of nasty chemicals and will make you put weight ON.

Perhaps we need to put home economics back into schools and teach children about real food (not something that takes 2mins in the microwave) and how our bodies work in relation to what we put in them.

Too often walking down the street I see toddlers with bottles full of juice or coke, what hope do these kids have if there first drinks are full of sugar. The health visitor when my son was little told me if I didnt want him to eat or drink something bad for him, not to introduce it into his diet. To this day he only drinks milk and water, has tried fizzy drinks but doesnt like them, but likes the IDEA of them, advertising aimed at kids is practically brain washing them.

K

K