PDA

View Full Version : Black Ice tonight!!

kas
14-Jan-10, 22:38
There is black ice on the A9 down to Scrabster and probably in other places too. Got the shock of my life as the car was reading +1 and its not been too cold today. Take care.
I was only going at 15mph when I lost control.

dragonfly
14-Jan-10, 22:56
hope you're ok Kas, it can give you quite a shock!

I once wrote off my Dad's car as in town it was fine but went round the corner at Lady Janetswood and lost it! ended up sideways in the ditch :(

Stavro
15-Jan-10, 00:15
Sensible to let other drivers know in advance. Better to be safe than sorry! :roll:

sweetpea
15-Jan-10, 00:35
I got caught out at Watten Loch a couple of years ago with the temperature being higher and I slid off the road!

windness
15-Jan-10, 10:18
I think people rely on car temp readings too much. I read recently that it can freeze at +2C so take care everyone.

Tugmistress
15-Jan-10, 11:42
Thanks for the text last night kas! the first shimmy we took was just on the last level approach to berriedale coming north which wasn't too bad but the next one just as we hit the 30 limit coming in to thurso was a wierd feeling, unit going one way trailer going the other, better half soon popped in to manual and controlled it and we were pre warned for the scrabster brae thanks to you :)

viking
15-Jan-10, 20:06
Thank you for taking the time to pass this on. I hope you didn't get too much of a fright.

kas
15-Jan-10, 22:36
I was fine, I had tried to straighten the wheel when turning on to the road and the car just went all over the shop. I am a sterio type woman driver(...... LOL )and put the brakes on. They made a funny noise and didnt work like normal so I thought there was something wrong with the steering and brakes of the car and phoned OH.
Only when I stopped and got out of the car did I realise it was icy as i was nearly on my backside.
OH came to the rescue and informed me that it was the ABS that had kicked in with the brakes.

Someone was not so lucky on the A9 coming into Thurso as there was a van in the ditch there last night.

Glad you got up the road ok Tuggs.

Stavro
16-Jan-10, 00:20
OH came to the rescue and informed me that it was the ABS that had kicked in with the brakes.

Phew, thank goodness! :roll: