PDA

View Full Version : Police rapped for riot shield sledge stunt! lol

annemarie482
14-Jan-10, 18:16
found this on yahoo news, made me smile!

Police rapped for riot shield sledge stunt[/URL]

[URL="http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100114/video/vuk-police-rapped-after-shield-sledge-st-49bfa63.html"]Video: Police rapped after shield sledge stunt (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/slideshow/crime-photos.html?imageUrl=/itn/20100114/r_p_itn_uk/puk-1263484544-uk-98e2cd484-5cafa0b804be)

"A passer-by filmed the moment Thames Valley Police officers arrived at the slope in Berkeley Road, Boars Hill, Oxford, in a riot van.
One is then seen clambering on to the shield, and is advised by a colleague: "You've got to hold on to the straps." Another officer appears to be filming the incident on his mobile phone as the policeman is pushed down the slope, to a shout of: "Whatever happens, keep smiling!"
He then travels down the hill towards a ditch, to the obvious amusement of his three colleagues watching.
Superintendent Andrew Murray, Oxford City commander with Thames Valley Police, said: "The snow has a habit of bringing out the child in all of us.
"I have spoken to the officers concerned and reminded them in no uncertain terms that tobogganing on duty, on police equipment and at taxpayers' expense is a very bad idea should they wish to progress under my command."
Rick Latham, who filmed the 41-second clip before posting it on YouTube website, said he initially thought police were going to tell him off when they caught him attempting to slide down the slope in a kayak.
He said: "We thought they were going to give us a hard time. Then they asked how slippy the snow was, and one of them grabbed the shield, then another one went down on it as well. I asked if I could film it and they said that was fine. They said something like: 'We're only human'." "

absolutely brilliant!
glad to know there's a bit of light hearted fun going on out there!
some folk just take things too seriously.
delighted!:lol:

Kodiak
14-Jan-10, 18:23
So they slid down a slope and had a bit of fun, nothing wrong with that at all. I wish I was able to do the same, good on them I say.

annemarie482
14-Jan-10, 18:26
quite agree! looks good fun! :D

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-10, 18:48
I just read that story when i was on my bt mail. Thot it was hilarious! good on em! [lol]

Bazeye
14-Jan-10, 19:46
Not the sharpest pencils in the box though are they, allowing it to be filmed.

Liz
14-Jan-10, 20:27
I totally agree in that they were just having some fun and doing no harm.:lol:

Geo
14-Jan-10, 20:33
It was on the news earlier. It's nice to see them being able to relax for a bit and have some fun.

floyed
14-Jan-10, 20:37
I think its brilliant and funny:D

Invisible
14-Jan-10, 21:50
bahahahahahahaha

donnick
14-Jan-10, 21:51
YES i too found this very funny and i am sure as most people thought the same they were enjoying the lovely weather :lol:

horseman
14-Jan-10, 23:18
So is that to say they have a humourous side,dammed if it ever came across to me.

Phill
14-Jan-10, 23:22
Well I think this just shows just what an abject waste of space these police officers are.
It is my money that is paying for this, our taxes that should be put towards crime prevention and detection is being pished up the wall by a bunch of bone idle, waste of space rozzers.

The country is being brought to it's knees through crime, we dare not walk the streets at night. We fear for our belongings and our safety and this bunch of intrepid crime fighters are actually performing like children instead of doing their well paid job.

They should be ashamed of themselves, why aren't they out there loading the speed cameras with film or parked up at the side of the road waiting for the villains blistering along at 65mph.

~~Tides~~
15-Jan-10, 00:31
The country is being brought to it's knees through crime, we dare not walk the streets at night. We fear for our belongings and our safety and this bunch of intrepid crime fighters are actually performing like children instead of doing their well paid job.

Is that well crafted subtle irony or have you accidentally swallowed a daily mail?

Aaldtimer
15-Jan-10, 04:25
It reminds me of my days in the RAF when I was part of the Ground Servicing Flight at RAF Scampton.
We had a lot of Police personal radios to repair with broken aerials.
I discovered the cause one day when returning a couple of them to the police section!(Unannounced)
I found a couple of grown men using their personal radios having a fencing session with the aerials fully extended like rapiers!:roll:

Suitably abashed, the repairs seemed to fall off after that.:)

Phoebus_Apollo
15-Jan-10, 10:10
They should be ashamed of themselves, why aren't they out there loading the speed cameras with film or parked up at the side of the road waiting for the villains blistering along at 65mph.

Come,Come - they are too busy in the office filling in paper work and keeping their tootsies warm to be sitting at the side of the road.

BINBOB
15-Jan-10, 11:17
I totally agree in that they were just having some fun and doing no harm.:lol:

Ditto..........they are human too.;)

BRIE
15-Jan-10, 11:18
I say well done to them for having a bit of fun! These officers deal with the countries worst be it fatal accidents to armed robbery & I think they need to take time out every now & again just to remind themselves they are normal human beings:)

BINBOB
15-Jan-10, 11:18
Well I think this just shows just what an abject waste of space these police officers are.
It is my money that is paying for this, our taxes that should be put towards crime prevention and detection is being pished up the wall by a bunch of bone idle, waste of space rozzers.

Uhhhhhh...get a life .....get a sledge...............have fun..............laugh......:lol:;)

Kirdon
15-Jan-10, 11:46
well done! they should be praised no repremanded, they have shown the police in a different light and proved most of them are human. No harm done and they are on a break.

Phill
15-Jan-10, 12:17
Is that well crafted subtle irony or have you accidentally swallowed a daily mail?

Subtle! Not often that is used in any descriptions of me, nor is well crafted for that matter!

As for the Daily Mail, pah. I only ever read the best investigative journalism that David Sullivan could offer.

Phill
15-Jan-10, 12:19
get a sledge............

I had a sledge but some theivin' perp nicked it while these bozos were too busy Stress Testing Her Majesty's safety equipment at our convenience.

northener
15-Jan-10, 12:47
I had a sledge but some theivin' perp nicked it while these bozos were too busy Stress Testing Her Majesty's safety equipment at our convenience.

Ahhhh, now we're getting down to the real reason for being Mr Grumpy....

You're jealous because you can't go sledging!:Razz

Turquoise
15-Jan-10, 13:04
Well, they are just pretending to be 'down with the kids' in my opinion. They could have waited until they were off duty, but they just wanted to show off with their 'sledges'. If I was there and had asked for a shotty on their sledge, what do you think the answer would be?

Fair enough they are only human, that's quite obvious but I'm quite sure most employers would be less than impressed if their employees were sledging on duty, instead of doing their work???

Pooch
15-Jan-10, 13:15
How magic is that hill I'm totally jealous but stupid guys lettin it get recorded should of known it would go on internet and get in trouble for it. pritty classic though :lol:

BINBOB
15-Jan-10, 14:25
shame ......hope u get it back.;)

northener
15-Jan-10, 16:14
I wouldn't say they've got into trouble over it. Their Chief has been put in a position where he's got to say something...so he's 'had a word'. I'd say the underlying message would be "don't get caught doing it":Razz

Phill
15-Jan-10, 16:32
I wouldn't say they've got into trouble over it. Their Chief has been put in a position where he's got to say something...so he's 'had a word'. I'd say the underlying message would be "don't get caught doing it":Razz

That's why the law is so soft these days, RB would have 'em hung for sure.

Phill
15-Jan-10, 16:43
What I wanna know is what sort of place is it when the feds are wandering round with riot gear all the time?

Or is it 'coz they were frikened of snowballs so they took their shields out wiv 'em.

I guess it's better than the US where they take a gun to the snowball fight.....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8425683.stm

Camra
16-Jan-10, 23:10
Trident.....Ploughshares
Riotshields.......Sledges

Good to see the Thin Blue line making a start!

sandyr1
17-Jan-10, 23:10
Remember what Sir Robert Peel said in the early 1800's when the London Metropolitan Police was formed.....

'The Police are the Public and the Public are the Police'.

Still rings true today.

_awayoflife_
18-Jan-10, 13:17
i dont understand why people had such a problem with this, i think its brilliant, its shows people that the police are just normal people, having a laugh and good them i say, life doesnt always have to be deadly serious :)

Anji
18-Jan-10, 14:54
Okay, they were daft letting themselves be filmed, but it's not as if it was a heinous crime.
The police are like the rest of society. Some have a sense of humour and some don't.
Let's face it, most of us have had a good laugh at the clip, and anything that makes us laugh can't be all bad.

lister
18-Jan-10, 19:21
I had a laugh as these coppers did,,leave em be,,later on that day they might have needed to deal with all sorts with professionalism and integrity and serve the public.
Who needs reprimanded here is the stuffed peakcap who delt the warnings ,he's not human but a highly paid government puppet doing this politically instead of with common sense...