PDA

View Full Version : Degu's

StacNKel
14-Jan-10, 15:34
Does anyone have any experience of keeping degu's? I have had 2 girlys for about 5 months now things is they are mad for chewing (which i was told when i got them) they eaten a back door into their chinchilla house, they starting chewing the shelves off the cage now they keep chewing the wire that holds the water bottle on! Im now on the 3rd piece of wire... is there a way to stop them doing this? Or will i just have to keep replacing the wire??!! They drive me nuts but are so cute a love them to bits haha

ShelleyCowie
15-Jan-10, 16:49
Does anyone have any experience of keeping degu's? I have had 2 girlys for about 5 months now things is they are mad for chewing (which i was told when i got them) they eaten a back door into their chinchilla house, they starting chewing the shelves off the cage now they keep chewing the wire that holds the water bottle on! Im now on the 3rd piece of wire... is there a way to stop them doing this? Or will i just have to keep replacing the wire??!! They drive me nuts but are so cute a love them to bits haha

I used to have 2 male degus. they were the best pets ever!

the chances are you will have to keep replacing the wire. When i had my degus i had a 6ft cage. Made sure there were plenty of chew toys all the time. Bits of wood, toilet roll tubes. Anything really!

Also i found that when they had cleaned themselves in their sand they calmed down. So always had the sand bath in there for them and cleaned it daily.

My degus had a big wooden chinchilla house too, they chewed it to bits but i started putting more shredded paper in their bed at nights. Or i would put it in the bottom of the cage so they would have to carry it up. that kept them busy and stopped alot of chewing.

If i can remember any of the other things i used to do i will come back and tell! I had my degus for a good few years so i learned all the tricks! :Razz

Good luck tho!