PDA

View Full Version : Is overtaking outlawed in Caithness?

DocStone
14-Jan-10, 13:05
A stupid question you may think, but after my experiences of travelling between Wick and Thurso every day for the last few years, and especially the last two days I am beginning to wonder.

It doesn't matter if it is a tractor, a council lorry or one of Simpson's cranes - as sure as poop smells there will be three cars sitting right on it's rear bumper that just will not overtake. It doesn't matter if it is doing 40 mph and the road ahead is clear and there is absolutely no risk in the maneuver they will not budge, they will just totter along not giving a flying thingy about the cars behind that could over take it, but because there are now 4 vehicles to overtake and no space between them they are unable to do so (unless you are the show off in the Focus RS that blew past the lot of us on Tuesday morning - oh how I cursed my 1.4 Diesel engine :D )

I am sorry, but if you cannot safely ovetake a vehicle doing 40mph on a straight road with no traffic coming towards you then you should not be on the road. End of. Get the bus and do us other road users a favour. If you can't even leave a space between you and the slow moving vehicle for others to overtake then you are a danger to yourself and other drivers.

Congratulations, you are on top of my pooplist for today - closely followed by people that cannot indicate and those that slam on the brakes when a car comes towards them when it is dark.

Arrgh. With sprinkles on top.

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 13:10
Has it occurred to you that not everyone needs to overtake and are happy just to follow with the flow of the traffic? 40 is ample speed in a 60 zone.

NickInTheNorth
14-Jan-10, 13:15
Has it occurred to you that not everyone needs to overtake and are happy just to follow with the flow of the traffic? 40 is ample speed in a 60 zone.

while agreeing with your viewpoint rheghead I also have sympathy with the point of view expressed by DocStone; fair enough let folks travel as slow as they like, but why can they not leave space to overtake. I firmly believe it is just ignorance of good driving practise and a total disregard of other road users.

DocStone
14-Jan-10, 13:16

40 mph is not an ample speed if you are holding up traffic, in fact by doing so and not allowing traffic to overtake then you are breaking the highway code and can be liable for prosecution.

If you want to sit at 40mph then fine, but allow other road users who wish to sit at the speed limit the opportunity to overtake. Kinda the whole gist of my post really.

NickInTheNorth
14-Jan-10, 13:17
The Highway Code

Overtaking (162-169)

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 13:24
40 mph is not an ample speed if you are holding up traffic, in fact by doing so and not allowing traffic to overtake then you are breaking the highway code and can be liable for prosecution.

So what you are proposing is that people who are doing 40mph should slow down to hold up traffic even more. Face/palm If you can't overtake at 40 you canna overtake at 50 or 30.

DocStone
14-Jan-10, 13:31
So what you are proposing is that people who are doing 40mph should slow down to hold up traffic even more. Face/palm If you can't overtake at 40 you canna overtake at 50 or 30.

No, try again.

I am proposing, pay attention now, that if you do not wish to overtake a slow moving vehicle that you allow enough space between you and the slow moving vehicle so that other vehicles can overtake you. You can still drive at 40mph but you do not have to be 10ft from the bumper of the vehicle in front.

So you can remove your palm from your face now. ;)

cherokee
14-Jan-10, 13:33
I must agree with DocStone !

I think his whole point is, if some drivers are quite happy to follow said vechicle then thats fine, but do other drivers the courtesy of allowing a gap when they are trying to overtake.
I quite often come upon this scenario and it is pretty frustrating if you are in a hurry to get somewhere and the driver in front takes not a blind bit of notice, but just carries on tootling along behind the tractor/lorry or whatever slow moving vechicle it should be.

Being courteous to other drivers should be mandatory when the situation arises I would have thought :roll:.

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 13:41
No, try again.

I am proposing, pay attention now, that if you do not wish to overtake a slow moving vehicle that you allow enough space between you and the slow moving vehicle so that other vehicles can overtake you. You can still drive at 40mph but you do not have to be 10ft from the bumper of the vehicle in front.

So you can remove your palm from your face now. ;)

All I'm saying is that 40 is ok in a 60 zone if you want to do that but you seem to think otherwise. ;)

wkgeorge
14-Jan-10, 13:42
Not everyone knows the road, especially in the dark, and its not so easy to overtake if this is the case.

NickInTheNorth
14-Jan-10, 13:46
All I'm saying is that 40 is ok in a 60 zone if you want to do that but you seem to think otherwise. ;)

I've certainly not seen anyone suggesting any different. :D

DocStone
14-Jan-10, 13:46

I give in. Seriously.

My problem is with drivers that will not overtake a slow moving vehicle yet will not allow other vehicles to overtake them.

Either overtake when it is safe to do so or allow enough space between you and the vehicle in front so that other road users can safely overtake you. If they cannot do that then they are a danger on the road and should not be driving.

Is that clear enough?

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 13:47
I've certainly not seen anyone suggesting any different. :D

Sorry I must have got the wrong end of the stick.:lol:

DocStone
14-Jan-10, 13:52
Sorry I must have got the wrong end of the stick.:lol:

40 mph is not an ample speed if you are holding up traffic

Yes, you have.

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 13:55
Is that clear enough?

Clear as mud. We all drive to our abilities and the law. What you are suggesting is that some drivers who may be unhappy about raising their speed will have to drive in such a way which is uncomfortable for them and shouldn't be on the road by comparison with your own standards. Maybe your standards are typical of ultra-sharp relexes, bully for you. If we were all like that then we'd have no accidents. Logan's drive here we come.

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 13:56
40 mph is not an ample speed if you are holding up traffic

Yes, you have.

No I haven't, has it occurred to you that 40mph is the correct speed and the mainstream traffic needs to slow down?

changilass
14-Jan-10, 13:57
You are deliberately missing the point now.

What is being suggested, is to leave a gap for folks to overtake into, rather than driving up the exhaust pipe of the car in front.

Not everyone is happy driving at 40 either.

horseman
14-Jan-10, 13:57
The entire concept is pants.Every last one of us has their own idea of what is permissable driving;)
Super sign off line bye the way.

DocStone
14-Jan-10, 13:59
Clear as mud. We all drive to our abilities and the law. What you are suggesting is that some drivers who may be unhappy about raising their speed will have to drive in such a way which is uncomfortable for them and shouldn't be on the road by comparison with your own standards. Maybe your standards are typical of ultra-sharp relexes, bully for you. If we were all like that then we'd have no accidents. Logan's drive here we come.

You are either deliberately being obtuse, or you fail to understand safe driving practise.

You want to drive at 40mph then that is fine. If you do not wish to overtake other vehicles then that is also fine. I do not have a problem with that. OK?

However, if by doing so you are preventing other road users from overtaking within the speed limit then you are driving without due care and attention, and are liable to prosecution.

Is that any clearer?

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 14:01
You are deliberately missing the point now.

What is being suggested, is to leave a gap for folks to overtake into, rather than driving up the exhaust pipe of the car in front.

Not everyone is happy driving at 40 either.

Not easy if some speed merchant is up yer backside because they want to overtake otherwise said merchant will pile into back bumper.

NickInTheNorth
14-Jan-10, 14:02
the actual speed at which vehicles are driving is totally irrelevant. The highway code requires that if someone wishes to overtake you should not obstruct them.

Indeed as I highlighted above if you need to slow down to allow someone to overtake you should do so.

Don't forget, even if you are driving at the posted speed limited for that stretch of road there are sometimes going to be people that wish to overtake you. Some with a lawful excuse, others without. Even in that situation you should not do anything to hinder their overtaking.

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 14:03
You are either deliberately being obtuse, or you fail to understand safe driving practise.

You want to drive at 40mph then that is fine. If you do not wish to overtake other vehicles then that is also fine. I do not have a problem with that. OK?

However, if by doing so you are preventing other road users from overtaking within the speed limit then you are driving without due care and attention, and are liable to prosecution.

Is that any clearer?

I've never stopped anyone from overtaking. Why are you getting your knickers in a twist? Seems to me you are too impatient to listen to anyone's opinion, least alone overtake when its safe...

DocStone
14-Jan-10, 14:08
I've never stopped anyone from overtaking. Why are you getting your knickers in a twist? Seems to me you are too impatient to listen to anyone's opinion, least alone overtake when its safe...

Ach, complaint to admin sent, you are a troll, and now you are making it personal. No wonder I hardly post on here.

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 14:10
the actual speed at which vehicles are driving is totally irrelevant. The highway code requires that if someone wishes to overtake you should not obstruct them.

The trouble regardless of the speed I'm going, I can leave 20 feet in front of me and the van in front and that will be enough for some idiot to pull in and I could leave 400 feet and it is not enough for someone else.

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 14:11
Ach, complaint to admin sent, you are a troll, and now you are making it personal. No wonder I hardly post on here.

Well that opinion goes two ways. At least I don't go crying to teacher when things don't go my way.;)

FutureMix
14-Jan-10, 14:14
I agree with DocStone driving well posted!!!

I have already posted in a similar thread that slow drivers should have flashing lights and be treated similar to tractors to ensure the safety of the normal road users.

Dont get me started on the lack of indicator use and even worse the OH my god theres a car on the other side of the road coming towards me Im going to have to apply my brakes sharply brigade!!

changilass
14-Jan-10, 14:16
Never saw you previous post, but thats a great idea.

bish667
14-Jan-10, 14:18
This topic always comes under debate every few weeks or so on this forum. Well worth a read for a laugh :lol:

This will never come to an agreement by all parties [lol]

cherokee
14-Jan-10, 14:27
[quote=DocStone;644881]I give in. Seriously.

I think that is really your best course of action here Doc.;)

Rheghead is on a roll here, and I'm sorry, but whilst we all understand exactly what you mean, you will always get the one who either doesn't or doesn't want to!

JNMWick
14-Jan-10, 14:32
Reghead is a idiot who should have his license taken away, just like many other road users. It's people like him that drive along at 40mph that cause serious accidents for other road users. 40mph is not ample! If you cannot drive at 60mph in a 60 limit then you would not pass your driving test. It is seen as causing unnecessary obstructions on a public highway.
If you can't drive faster than 40mph do all us normal drivers a favour and use the bus!! ;)

telfordstar
14-Jan-10, 14:34
You guys have major handbags out issues, he said this, he quoted that, act your age eh debating about this is one thing being totally childish is another. I for one am a learner driver and I HATE overtaking at any poing road clear or not so I guess im one of the few who would just stay behind the car/van/lorry/simpsons crane that makes me feel comfortable. Im sure folk have reasons why they dont over take. My advice if you dont like it just dry your eyes and get on with it, or take alternative means of travel.

telfordstar
14-Jan-10, 14:35
Reghead is a idiot who should have his license taken away, just like many other road users. It's people like him that drive along at 40mph that cause serious accidents for other road users. 40mph is not ample! If you cannot drive at 60mph in a 60 limit then you would not pass your driving test. It is seen as causing unnecessary obstructions on a public highway.
If you can't drive faster than 40mph do all us normal drivers a favour and
use the bus!! ;)

Just to let you know 50mph is acceptable in a 60mph zone having recently sat a driving test and was told by examiner.

JNMWick
14-Jan-10, 14:37
Not 40mph then!

Thank you telfordstar :D

sweep
14-Jan-10, 14:39
docStone unfortunately your post has caught reghead's eye. this guy Always has the opposite view. don't let him wind you up. if you don't rise to his bait maybe he'll go away...

Invisible
14-Jan-10, 14:47
If you can't drive faster than 40mph do all us normal drivers a favour and use the bus!! ;)

Rheghead didn't say he drives along at 40mph. He is just saying that it's acceptable and not to get your knickers in a twist over it.

cherokee
14-Jan-10, 14:50
Sweep :-

As the song goes - "You took the words right outta my mouth" !!

WELL SAID :) !!!

shazzap
14-Jan-10, 14:50
This is from the highway code.

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when

Invisible
14-Jan-10, 14:52
This is from the highway code.

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when

Is there a minimum speed for cars?
I know some tractors can only go 20mph and heavy vehicles 50mph

changilass
14-Jan-10, 14:55
TBH this thread wasn't started to discuss speed limits. It was the inability of some to allow others to overtake - regardless of speed.

All that folks need to do is give consideration to others.

If you want to go faster, then don't drive up someones exhaust blasting your horn to get by, and if you like to go slower, again don't drive up the exhaust of the car in front not allowing a space for others to overtake into.

It aint rocket science.

shazzap
14-Jan-10, 14:56
Is there a minimum speed for cars?
I know some tractors can only go 20mph and heavy vehicles 50mph

Built-up areas *
Single carriage-ways
Dual carriage-ways
Motorways
Type of vehicle
mph (km/h)
mph (km/h)
mph (km/h)
mph (km/h)
Cars & motorcycles
(including car-derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight)
30 (48)
60 (96)
70 (112)
70 (112)
Cars towing caravans or trailers
(including car-derived vans and motorcycles)
30 (48)
50 (80)
60 (96)
60 (96)
Buses, coaches and minibuses
(not exceeding 12 metres in overall length)
30 (48)
50 (80)
60 (96)
70 (112)
Goods vehicles
(not exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
30 (48)
50 (80)
60 (96)
70 (112) **
Goods vehicles
(exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
30 (48)
40 (64)
50 (80)
60 (96)

shazzap
14-Jan-10, 15:00
TBH this thread wasn't started to discuss speed limits. It was the inability of some to allow others to overtake - regardless of speed.

If you want to go faster, then don't drive up someones exhaust blasting your horn to get by, and if you like to go slower, again don't drive up the exhaust of the car in front not allowing a space for others to overtake into.

It aint rocket science.

This like any post on here leads to discussion on a wider area then the one originally stated. But agree with you that we all do need to be considerate.

M R
14-Jan-10, 15:22
A stupid question you may think, but after my experiences of travelling between Wick and Thurso every day for the last few years, and especially the last two days I am beginning to wonder.

I am sorry, but if you cannot safely ovetake a vehicle doing 40mph on a straight road with no traffic coming towards you then you should not be on the road. End of. Get the bus and do us other road users a favour. If you can't even leave a space between you and the slow moving vehicle for others to overtake then you are a danger to yourself and other drivers

Drives me mad as well. Ignore Reghead, normally looking to pick little holes in anyones post.

sweetpea
14-Jan-10, 15:28
What annoys me is the amount of cars with badly adjusted headlights, only one working or even worse the blue ones. Some cars I've passed have one headlight going one way and another the oipposite direction.

Invisible
14-Jan-10, 15:55
What annoys me is the amount of cars with badly adjusted headlights, only one working or even worse the blue ones. Some cars I've passed have one headlight going one way and another the oipposite direction.

I agree.............

jaykay
14-Jan-10, 16:00
DocStone has a very good point. There are some drivers that will happily drive behind slow moving vehicles like tractors and bikes for mile after mile when there are ample overtaking oppertunities. I beleive these people are a danger on the road and should have their driving licences removed.

Invisible
14-Jan-10, 16:02
DocStone has a very good point. There are some drivers that will happily drive behind slow moving vehicles like tractors and bikes for mile after mile when there are ample overtaking oppertunities. I beleive these people are a danger on the road and should have their driving licences removed.

I would say it's a bit harsh to be banned from driving for being over cautious.

golach
14-Jan-10, 16:40
As a non driver, can I ask a question, been having look at the Highway Code and I cannot find anywhere in the HC thats says Overtaking is compulsory?

badger
14-Jan-10, 16:43
Don't forget, even if you are driving at the posted speed limited for that stretch of road there are sometimes going to be people that wish to overtake you. Some with a lawful excuse, others without. Even in that situation you should not do anything to hinder their overtaking.

To a certain extent that's right if it's going to annoy someone so much they overtake dangerously but in fact if you are driving at the posted speed it's illegal for anyone to overtake you. That's why it is illegal to drive at more than 60 anywhere up here, even when overtaking.

Having said that, why do some people feel they have a right to attack anyone driving at 40 in a 60 limit? It's not the speed that's the problem, it's the consideration for others. As others have said, if you want to drive at 40 that's fine so long as you're not preventing anyone overtaking. What's so complicated?

Katy
14-Jan-10, 16:46
When I was up for my driving test I failed the first time for NOT overtaking a bike....I didn't feel it was safe to do so as I couldn't see if anything was coming but the driving tester failed me for hesitation.....

shazzap
14-Jan-10, 16:48
To a certain extent that's right if it's going to annoy someone so much they overtake dangerously but in fact if you are driving at the posted speed it's illegal for anyone to overtake you. That's why it is illegal to drive at more than 60 anywhere up here, even when overtaking.

Having said that, why do some people feel they have a right to attack anyone driving at 40 in a 60 limit? It's not the speed that's the problem, it's the consideration for others. As others have said, if you want to drive at 40 that's fine so long as you're not preventing anyone overtaking. What's so complicated?

Couldn't agree more.
The speed limit is just that. You cannot go over that speed.
It is a guide, you drive to what road and weather conditions dictate.
Also what you as a driver are comfortable with.

northener
14-Jan-10, 17:23
It's a pretty straightforward situation, really. As a few have pointed out the key is consideration for other roadusers.

If you're behind a Stevens wagon doing 40 in a 60 and aren't happy/dont want to overtake then that's fine. Just bear in mind that your positioning will either help or hinder those behind you who wish to make progress. We all have a responsibility not to cause other people problems - even if the overtaking car is going to break the speed limit...that is no concern of yours. Help out others and guess what? Most people will try to help you.

This feeling of goodwill and sensibility does not extend to the brainless dipsticks who sit right up the backsides of wagons and buses weaving about like a drunk because they want to overtake but don't have the intelligence to drop back to improve their vision...now they really should be taken off the road.

Oh, and to the gormles prat who pulled out of Tescos and crawled down towards Hill Ave at 15mph whilst gawping across the fields to the right:

It's no good blowing your horn and flashing your lights at me when I overtake. Try looking in your mirrors occasionally. I aren't doing anything wrong...you pillock.:roll:[lol]

cherokee
14-Jan-10, 17:39
Lets get back to the original topic guys ;)

Doc, I think, has given up the ghost on his/her thread, and personally I feel sorry for them!!!!!!!

To come on here only once in a wee while, only to be utterly slated by other members, in my book, is absoluetly galling [evil] !!!!!!!

Iffy
14-Jan-10, 17:44
It's not often that I partake of an argument on here (I know better !!!!:roll:)

But I honestly think that DocStone has had a heck o' a hard time, and I must admit that I totally agree with him / her !!!

Certain posters should maybe back off a bit ...... eh ??? :roll::roll:

northener
14-Jan-10, 17:45
Lets get back to the original topic guys ;)

Doc, I think, has given up the ghost on his/her thread, and personally I feel sorry for them!!!!!!!

To come on here only once in a wee while, only to be utterly slated by other members, in my book, is absoluetly galling [evil] !!!!!!!

Sorry, but I think Doc wasn't happy with the fact that someone chose to take him to task on his topic. I really don't see that challenging a viewpoint is 'having a go', I can see both viewpoints and both have merits.

If you can't take a bit of flak, then you really shouldn't post on here. 'Reporting' and such behaviour over a minor disagreement strikes me as dummy spitting.

Doc, if you're reading this, I've nothing against you personally, I'm sure you're a fine chap, but chill out, dude.:Razz

Invisible
14-Jan-10, 17:50
It's not often that I partake of an argument on here (I know better !!!!:roll:)

But I honestly think that DocStone has had a heck o' a hard time, and I must admit that I totally agree with him / her !!!

Certain posters should maybe back off a bit ...... eh ??? :roll::roll:

I would say it's more a debate than argument, but as its a public forum you should be free to express your views whether others agree or not, or even if its against the thread subject and not being accused of trolling.

DocStone's confidence may have been knocked, but this thread shouldn't put them of coming back to the org.

BINBOB
14-Jan-10, 17:51

It doesn't matter if it is a tractor, a council lorry or one of Simpson's cranes - as sure as poop smells there will be three cars sitting right on it's rear bumper that just will not overtake. It doesn't matter if it is doing 40 mph and the road ahead is clear and there is absolutely no risk in the maneuver they will not budge, they will just totter along not giving a flying thingy about the cars behind that could over take it, but because there are now 4 vehicles to overtake and no space between them they are unable to do so (unless you are the show off in the Focus RS that blew past the lot of us on Tuesday morning - oh how I cursed my 1.4 Diesel engine :D )

I am sorry, but if you cannot safely ovetake a vehicle doing 40mph on a straight road with no traffic coming towards you then you should not be on the road. End of. Get the bus and do us other road users a favour. If you can't even leave a space between you and the slow moving vehicle for others to overtake then you are a danger to yourself and other drivers.

Congratulations, you are on top of my pooplist for today - closely followed by people that cannot indicate and those that slam on the brakes when a car comes towards them when it is dark.

Arrgh. With sprinkles on top.

It is certainly not compulsary either..............be patient!!!;)

George Brims
14-Jan-10, 18:50
Here's a couple of points from when I lived in Hawaii. The Big Island has a lot of smaller roads, and some of the main ones have a lot of bends so it's hard to overtake. The other similarity to Caithness is the almost total lack of people using their signals, and a great tendency for people to pull out in front of you instead of waiting until you pass by.

Anyway, there are two rules that might help in Caithness, in fact Scotland in general. First, if you have more than two vehicles behind you, you must pull over to let them pass as soon as there's a place to do it. When the roads had a lot of big sugar cane trucks, this was strongly enforced. The second rule is that you must not drive slower than 15mph below the limit, conditions permitting. This would make driving 40mph in a 60 zone illegal. There was one road in particular that had a lot of morning traffic coming in from the country, and the cops would frequently pull over a bunch of people for that one. They often ticketed the same people for simultaneously breaking the first rule as well.

onecalledk
14-Jan-10, 19:05
when learning to drive my driving instructor would pull me up for not driving at 6omph on a clear road with excellent visibility. Weather conditions determine the speed you drive at. The recent spate of horrendous weather and young males driving at 70mph on the roads is also a hazard, ok til you try to brake ??!!!!!!!!

you CAN fail your driving test for not driving at the speed limit and for not overtaking ........

K

Jeid
14-Jan-10, 19:19
I drive every day for a living, and I agree with the OP. It's very frustrating when people drive 40mph up some other vehicles rear. I don't mind people driving at 40mph if that's what they're comfortable with. As long as they are decent enough to let other user who do drive at 60mph, overtake.

When it's dark, I drive a bit slower than I usually do, but if someone driving faster comes behind me, I always let them overtake.

I dunno how many people drive to Inverness or up west often, but there are signs that say to allow faster vehicles to pass. It's all about letting the traffic flow and not having big tail backs. It causes frustration in other drivers and can lead to accidents. It's courteous to let quicker vehicles pass by.

This thread is a bit of a joke, Rheghead just came in and was deliberately obtuse by the looks of things. I agree, if you wanna drive at 40, cool. If you don't wanna overtake, cool. Just let people by.

Jeid
14-Jan-10, 19:22
Not easy if some speed merchant is up yer backside because they want to overtake otherwise said merchant will pile into back bumper.

If you put your brakes on, they'll be forced to put their brakes on. It's not difficult.

It aint rocket science.

Good post, agree with this.

when learning to drive my driving instructor would pull me up for not driving at 60mph on a clear road with excellent visibility. Weather conditions determine the speed you drive at. The recent spate of horrendous weather and young males driving at 70mph on the roads is also a hazard, ok til you try to brake ??!!!!!!!!

you CAN fail your driving test for not driving at the speed limit and for not overtaking ........

K

I dunno about fail, but they certainly mark you down for it. I was always told to get up to speed ASAP whether it's 30mph, 40mph or 60mph.

rainbow
14-Jan-10, 20:40
I was a passenger in a car on Tuesday morning going from Wick to Thurso, and a Focus passed us - was it the same one?? I like my speed, and overtake the whole time (as I can get VERY frustrated when stuck behind a row of traffic), however the driver of my car was being cautious (as I would also have been) as there was still a bit of snow on the road between Oldhall and the top of the Causeymire, and the ice had not totally disappeared. I thought the Focus was very foolish, and when we got to Thurso it was only 1 car in front of us - so what was the point in overtaking.
I can see your point that people should overtake when necessary but on Tuesday morning I personally agree with folks that going slower than normal 40mph due to the road conditions was a case of safety for all.

northener
14-Jan-10, 21:13
If you put your brakes on, they'll be forced to put their brakes on. It's not difficult....

I'll take you to task on this point, Jeid. It's preferable to gently ease off the gas until you have extra space in front of you rather than braking. This could just inflame the situation.
But having said that, I've braked myself when I've had somebody right up my arse and being deliberately agressive..but generally it's not a good idea.

....I dunno about fail, but they certainly mark you down for it. I was always told to get up to speed ASAP whether it's 30mph, 40mph or 60mph.

Regarding 'marking' it depends upon the situation, The criteria as always is what the road and conditions will allow. So it's never black and white on the test.

Jeid
14-Jan-10, 21:39
I'll take you to task on this point, Jeid. It's preferable to gently ease off the gas until you have extra space in front of you rather than braking. This could just inflame the situation.
But having said that, I've braked myself when I've had somebody right up my arse and being deliberately agressive..but generally it's not a good idea.

Regarding 'marking' it depends upon the situation, The criteria as always is what the road and conditions will allow. So it's never black and white on the test.

I've had aggressive drivers right behind me and found this was a piece of their own medicine. Taking my foot off the accelerator is something I tend to do more than braking, but I was simply making a point that it wasn't impossible to make space. You understand :)

When I was learning, I had conditions much like this, worse on some occasions and I was told what was acceptable speeds. But the point was, get to that speed. Same with coming into town from country, I was always told to get to 30 and try not to drop below. Anyway, we're going off topic a bit. Most tests are sat in suitable driving conditions for you to get to 30/40/60mph.

The roads here are clear and have been for a couple of days. They're well gritted between Thurso and Wick so 60mph isn't unrealistic. 50mph if you wanna be cautious I think and a few people were doing that (one was doing 30mph...) but they were willing to let people pass.

ducati
14-Jan-10, 21:57
I find if you don't let your speed drop below 130 140 then the rest of the traffic is just a sort of amorphous fog that doesn’t really bother you.[lol]

JimH
14-Jan-10, 21:57
I think you will find that Driving too slowly, regardless of the speed, is marked down on the driving test as "Not making normal progress" and yes you can fail a driving test for it if it is excessive.

northener
14-Jan-10, 22:07
I find if you don't let your speed drop below 130 140 then the rest of the traffic is just a sort of amorphous fog that doesn’t really bother you.

See what I mean about Ducati riders becoming ruthless Outlaw bikers.;) Shame on you sir!:Razz

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/image-library/land/333/b/blackwidows.jpg

ducati
14-Jan-10, 23:01
Bad Ducati, Bad Bad[evil]

Leanne
14-Jan-10, 23:21
It's preferable to gently ease off the gas until you have extra space in front of you rather than braking. This could just inflame the situation.

That is what they teach you in the advanced driving courses

No I haven't, has it occurred to you that 40mph is the correct speed and the mainstream traffic needs to slow down?

That isn't what the law says :roll:

_Ju_
14-Jan-10, 23:24
If you cannot drive at 60mph in a 60 limit then you would not pass your driving test.

A speed limit is not a target speed.

M R
14-Jan-10, 23:31
It may not be a ( Target Speed ) but it's the limit at which you can apparently drive safely in good conditions.

I personally prefer 100, most enjoyable on a good day.

Can anyone convert my import to mph please :lol:

Leanne
14-Jan-10, 23:42
It may not be a ( Target Speed ) but it's the limit at which you can apparently drive safely in good conditions.

I personally prefer 100, most enjoyable on a good day.

Can anyone convert my import to mph please :lol:

But that's speeding!!! By a fraction over 2mph :lol:

©Amethyst
14-Jan-10, 23:59
I now refuse to drive in Caithness. I only have a provisional licence, but have driven to Thurso from down south a few times, each time as soon as reaching Caithness whilst driving at 60MPH I had cars behind me where it felt like I was about to get driven over!

I have heard of people being pulled over for driving under 40MPH in a 60MPH zone before now. Heck, I even got pulled over once by the police because I couldn't get 2nd gear after pulling away from traffic lights... it was as if that car had an allergic reaction to 2nd gear though - never happened in any other car lol.

Doubt I'll be passing any time soon though, seem to have a fear of driving - yet when I do I don't like to drive too slow, but won't speed - it's finding a comfortable balance, leaving plenty of space and not being intimidated by other drivers (last one is the one I struggle with).

Turquoise
15-Jan-10, 00:02
I now refuse to drive in Caithness. I only have a provisional licence, but have driven to Thurso from down south a few times, each time as soon as reaching Caithness whilst driving at 60MPH I had cars behind me where it felt like I was about to get driven over!

I have heard of people being pulled over for driving under 40MPH in a 60MPH zone before now. Heck, I even got pulled over once by the police because I couldn't get 2nd gear after pulling away from traffic lights... it was as if that car had an allergic reaction to 2nd gear though - never happened in any other car lol.

Doubt I'll be passing any time soon though, seem to have a fear of driving - yet when I do I don't like to drive too slow, but won't speed - it's finding a comfortable balance, leaving plenty of space and not being intimidated by other drivers (last one is the one I struggle with).

Trust me...if you can drive in Caithness, you can drive anywhere!

Invisible
15-Jan-10, 00:07
Trust me...if you can drive in Caithness, you can drive anywhere!

True, roundabouts in the city are a doddle compared to the one at the end of Bridge Street in Wick

Turquoise
15-Jan-10, 00:12
True, roundabouts in the city are a doddle compared to the one at the end of Bridge Street in Wick

Don't. Even. Get. Me. Started.

DocStone
15-Jan-10, 01:04
Sorry, but I think Doc wasn't happy with the fact that someone chose to take him to task on his topic. I really don't see that challenging a viewpoint is 'having a go', I can see both viewpoints and both have merits.

If you can't take a bit of flak, then you really shouldn't post on here. 'Reporting' and such behaviour over a minor disagreement strikes me as dummy spitting.

Doc, if you're reading this, I've nothing against you personally, I'm sure you're a fine chap, but chill out, dude.:Razz

Northener, if you actually take the time to read my post, and the subsequent replies, you would see that he wasn't challenging my viewpoint, he was in fact challenging a viewpoint he himself made up so that he could create an arguement, at no point did he recognise my actual topic - failing to show other road users due care and consideration. I agreed with almost everything he said, yet he still failed to acknowledge my original point. It also isn't the first time he has done this.

I just cannot stand trolls - they destroy debate and seek out emotional response just for the fun of it - I report them, I always have and I always will, nothing to do with dummy spitting. Give me reasoned debate any day, people who know me know I love a good bit of the banter, but when people are deliberately avoiding the main thrust of the debate, then they are offering nothing.

If this message board had an ignore function I would use it, but until then, I will click that red triangle when I see fit.

Trust me, there was no dummy spitting, more resigned sighing ;) I am as chilled as can be :D

changilass
15-Jan-10, 01:08
Doc there is an ignore function within your user cp.

DocStone
15-Jan-10, 01:11
Doc there is an ignore function within your user cp.

I thank you ;) Normally find it in the drop down menu when you click their name!

sweetpea
15-Jan-10, 01:23

I was taught to ease of the gas too.

BINBOB
15-Jan-10, 11:05
When I was up for my driving test I failed the first time for NOT overtaking a bike....I didn't feel it was safe to do so as I couldn't see if anything was coming but the driving tester failed me for hesitation.....

Still better to be safe than sorry.........u did the right thing.;)

Katy
15-Jan-10, 13:33
Still better to be safe than sorry.........u did the right thing.;)

Have to agree Binbob, at the time I wasn't best pleased for failing for something so silly (in my eyes!) but then I thought about it and if overtook and hit something or knocked the guy of his bike I would have failed!! So i think it was a bit if I did overtake I would of failed and because I didn't I did fail....never mind passed 2nd time ;) xx

BINBOB
15-Jan-10, 14:23
Have to agree Binbob, at the time I wasn't best pleased for failing for something so silly (in my eyes!) but then I thought about it and if overtook and hit something or knocked the guy of his bike I would have failed!! So i think it was a bit if I did overtake I would of failed and because I didn't I did fail....never mind passed 2nd time ;) xx

I passed 2nd time too.......because I did not see a motorbike........fair enough.He was going at great speed and came out of nowhere........as they do.:Dx

bekisman
15-Jan-10, 14:31
As a driver that regularly goes over to Tesco, Wick (88 mile journey) I quite often get held up by someone driving along at c40mph on the Watten to Thurso road, with cars behind - each with a few yard gap - who are quite happy to do the same speed behind.

Fair enough, overtaking not compulsory, but why should I, who's got another 30-40 miles to go be inconvenienced by a 'block' of traffic of 50 yards. Basic etiquette dictates you leave a reasonable space for following traffic to overtake safely, by slotting in, leaving the more leisurely to continue on their way - there, what was difficult about that?

Tom Cornwall
15-Jan-10, 14:41

that driver would not be up your backside if you left enough room for him to pass...slow drivers cause as many accidents as faster ones...if you drive at 40 in a 60 limit do you drive at 20 in a 30 limit or 5 in a 20 limit ...if one doesn't have the confidence to drive at sensible speeds relating to the traffic, perhaps one should get on a bus...if one comes along

M R
15-Jan-10, 14:44
slow drivers cause as many accidents as faster ones...if you drive at 40 in a 60 limit do you drive at 20 in a 30 limit or 5 in a 20 limit ...if one doesn't have the confidence to drive at sensible speeds relating to the traffic, perhaps one should get on a bus...if one comes along

Agreed..Get the BUS :P

ducati
15-Jan-10, 15:14
I passed 2nd time too.......because I did not see a motorbike........fair enough.He was going at great speed and came out of nowhere........as they do.:Dx

Motorbikes do not come "out of nowhere" they are travelling down the road.

Is the inability of most myopic car drivers to see them a cultural problem or is it that car drivers only have a very narrow size to sight ratio? If this were the case then they equally wouldn’t see pedestrians, pushbikes, prams, quad bikes, horses and the current crop of ridiculous "city" cars.

ducati
15-Jan-10, 15:31
And thats another thing. If you want a city car, live in a bloody city. Don't drive around Caithness at 40MPH.

(see how I got back to the point?):cool:

_Ju_
15-Jan-10, 15:51
And thats another thing. If you want a city car, live in a bloody city. Don't drive around Caithness at 40MPH.

Then ban 4x4's from normal roads and towns!

Y'all complaining about the way people drive here? People are very considerate, calm and careful drivers when compared with other places in the world. I think that driving here is great.

ducati
15-Jan-10, 16:12
[quote=_Ju_;645489]Then ban 4x4's from normal roads and towns!

Why?

ducati
15-Jan-10, 16:15
Then ban 4x4's from normal roads and towns!

Y'all complaining about the way people drive here? People are very considerate, calm and careful drivers when compared with other places in the world. I think that driving here is great.

Why Ban 4x4s?

_Ju_
15-Jan-10, 17:21
Because accidents with 4x4's are more dangerous to "normal" cars and pedestrians. Apparently there are also studies that indicate that 4x4 driver are proportionately envolved in more accidents than those of ordinary cars (feeling of invincibility of the 4x4 drivers, because of the hieght and size of their vehicle?).

PS: the generalization to all 4x4's is as intentional as the sweeping reference to city cars.

PPS: My main point is that here we are lucky to (generally) have a defensive and preventative driving attitude up here in Caithness, and that is great. Even if it means that sometimes you get stuck in a queu behind a tractor doing 40 mph for a few minutes. I'd rather loose a minute of my life than my life in a minute.

Mik.M.
15-Jan-10, 18:00
Tractor 40mph? Oh yeah!!

Happy Guy
15-Jan-10, 18:11
The Highway Code

Overtaking (162-169)

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

I have tried to follow this converation and work out who is saying what, and got totally confused, However whatever anyone thinks, there is no question that what Nick-in-the-North says, is correct, clear and the proper procedure as the Highway Code makes clear - its a shame that we dont all always follow best practice

Boozeburglar
15-Jan-10, 18:24
Tractor 40mph? Oh yeah!!

What is strange about that?

Mik.M.
15-Jan-10, 20:00
When did you last see a tractor doing 40mph?

chiel
15-Jan-10, 20:02

mik,i i mind right ,jcb do one called a fast trac,speed in the region of 55mph,and still be driven by a 16 yr old:eek:

Mik.M.
15-Jan-10, 20:07
mik,i i mind right ,jcb do one called a fast trac,speed in the region of 55mph,and still be driven by a 16 yr old:eek:
Anyone got one of those up here? All the tractors I get stuck behind are only doing about20-25mph.I still overtake them as soon as it`s safe(even in the bus).

scoobyc
15-Jan-10, 21:23
Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=644867#post644867)
The Highway Code

Overtaking (162-169)

I have tried to follow this converation and work out who is saying what, and got totally confused, However whatever anyone thinks, there is no question that what Nick-in-the-North says, is correct, clear and the proper procedure as the Highway Code makes clear - its a shame that we dont all always follow best practice
+1 shame we couldn't spread the word more actively:)

sharona
15-Jan-10, 21:47
slow ness can cause accidents

Boozeburglar
15-Jan-10, 22:11

Yesterday.

I am in Inverness, and I don't know where you are but I used to drive one at somewhere near that speed.

Modern tractors.

Fast tractors.

Exotic machines.

;)

Whitewater
16-Jan-10, 00:13
Reading this thread you all remind me of this song by Colin Campbell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rpisHOTRbU

wickscorrie
16-Jan-10, 01:01
I drive a HGV in Caithness for a living and every day at some point I have to take evasive action with someone,trying to overtake with no thought for you or other motorists.They do not seem to recognize what their actions may cause a serious accident,with a serious possibility of fatalities.We try to be as courtious as we can by allowing vehicles to overtake us when it is safe to do so.So slower moving vehicles have a thought when you see the traffic building up behind you and allow the traffic through to cut out the frustration which leads to road rage and more seriously accidents.

M R
16-Jan-10, 02:57
Bloody well said scorrie

Gronnuck
16-Jan-10, 09:22
[quote=DocStone;644854]It doesn't matter if it is a tractor, a council lorry or one of Simpson's cranes - as sure as poop smells there will be three cars sitting right on it's rear bumper that just will not overtake. It doesn't matter if it is doing 40 mph and the road ahead is clear and there is absolutely no risk in the maneuver they will not budge, they will just totter along not giving a flying thingy about the cars behind that could over take it, but because there are now 4 vehicles to overtake and no space between them they are unable to do so (unless you are the show off in the Focus RS that blew past the lot of us on Tuesday morning - oh how I cursed my 1.4 Diesel engine :D )
quote]

:roll: I wonder how DocStone gets on during the summer when the roads fill up with continental motorhomes travelling in convoy while their owners enjoy our scenery. ;)

Mik.M.
16-Jan-10, 10:38
Yesterday.

I am in Inverness, and I don't know where you are but I used to drive one at somewhere near that speed.

Modern tractors.

Fast tractors.

Exotic machines.

;)
Modern Tractors,Fast Tractors,Exotic Machines.................Caithness................ ..Nah No way.

tonkatojo
16-Jan-10, 10:49
slow ness can cause accidents

Yeah :eek: :confused

lasher
16-Jan-10, 13:47
I drive a HGV in Caithness for a living and every day at some point I have to take evasive action with someone,trying to overtake with no thought for you or other motorists.They do not seem to recognize what their actions may cause a serious accident,with a serious possibility of fatalities.We try to be as courtious as we can by allowing vehicles to overtake us when it is safe to do so.So slower moving vehicles have a thought when you see the traffic building up behind you and allow the traffic through to cut out the frustration which leads to road rage and more seriously accidents.
You must be the only Hgv driver that thinks like that, most of them don't care if the are holding up 1 or 20 cars!!!

lasher
16-Jan-10, 14:08
That is the biggest load of rubbish i have heard, the speed limit should be increased not decreased!!!

bekisman
16-Jan-10, 16:12
'That is the biggest load of rubbish i have heard, the speed limit should be increased not decreased!!!'

Fully agree - especially on M roads (having used the Germans)

Miss Mack
16-Jan-10, 20:11
Your kidding...... right !!!:eek:

golach
16-Jan-10, 20:16
'That is the biggest load of rubbish i have heard, the speed limit should be increased not decreased!!!'

Fully agree - especially on M roads (having used the Germans)
Where are the "M" roads in Kaitness?, the majority are "B" roads, the maximum speed should be the speed of the fastest tractor. [lol]

bekisman
16-Jan-10, 20:30
Golach: "Where are the "M" roads in Kaitness?, the majority are "B" roads, the maximum speed should be the speed of the fastest tractor."

Well you want to see our road: The 'U' 155 - I kid you not!

BINBOB
16-Jan-10, 22:37
That is the biggest load of rubbish i have heard, the speed limit should be increased not decreased!!!

Noooooooooooo way.[disgust]

Whitewater
17-Jan-10, 02:38
I can only refer you back to Colin Campbells song. Read the thread again folks, what you have all said and just think about it. Isn't it all just nonsence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rpisHOTRbU

Whitewater
17-Jan-10, 02:48
But I must admit that I get frustrated from time to time when driving along, thats when I'm on my tractor and all you so and sos are blowing your horns at me and calling me names, and I can lip read as well.

Vistravi
17-Jan-10, 14:56

I agree with what you have said to rheghead but i don't think the speed limit should be increased by much if anything at all.

Noooooooooooo way.[disgust]

I don't agree BINBOB. I'm worried my partner and i will have to move back to thurso through no choice in the near future untill we can get back on our feet and he has a permanent job again. We certainly don't want to if we can help it as we both like the inverness life. It suits us as its not too busy and its not too quiet. I really don't fancy the idea of going into labour early (which due to history of preeclampisa in my mum that ensured she had to have me early is very likely!) and then having to make the trek to inverness in labour if our baby waited that long! Given that all my siblings were also three to two weeks early hardly likely.
Now if my partner or whoever was driving to inverness to get to raigmore could not go above 40 mph due to a ridicolous cut in the speed limit i'd be made much worse!
Yes if some drivers want to drive at 40 mph then thats fine, they just shouldn't expect everyone else to agree with them and be happy stuck behind them. It annoys me how arrogant some of the drivers who drive at 40 mph on a 60 mph road are and i am only a passenger.

Vistravi
17-Jan-10, 14:58
[quote=DocStone;644854]It doesn't matter if it is a tractor, a council lorry or one of Simpson's cranes - as sure as poop smells there will be three cars sitting right on it's rear bumper that just will not overtake. It doesn't matter if it is doing 40 mph and the road ahead is clear and there is absolutely no risk in the maneuver they will not budge, they will just totter along not giving a flying thingy about the cars behind that could over take it, but because there are now 4 vehicles to overtake and no space between them they are unable to do so (unless you are the show off in the Focus RS that blew past the lot of us on Tuesday morning - oh how I cursed my 1.4 Diesel engine )
quote]

:roll: I wonder how DocStone gets on during the summer when the roads fill up with continental motorhomes travelling in convoy while their owners enjoy our scenery. ;)

Properly like alot of other people, get a bit annoyed and try to pass them as soon as its safe to do so. ;)