PDA

View Full Version : Ruined shoes?

Fran
14-Jan-10, 01:19
I have ruined my new leather shoes with the snow and salt. i have white marks all over them. Someone suggested rubbing a potatoe over my shoes but this doesnt work. Any suggestions please?

sweetpea
14-Jan-10, 01:23
Maybe that vanish stuff and a good hard brush?

dx100uk
14-Jan-10, 02:32
tesco babywipes
then polish with the correct colour shoe polish

it is solely dry salt in dry leather.

dx

joxville
14-Jan-10, 04:43
I have ruined my new leather shoes with the snow and salt. i have white marks all over them. Someone suggested rubbing a potatoe over my shoes but this doesnt work. Any suggestions please?

Was it the inside or outside of the potato you used? If the shoes are a dark colour why not try gravy? :)

Tristan
14-Jan-10, 08:20
Vinegar can help remove the salt.

dragonfly
14-Jan-10, 08:23
if its leather (and the shoes are dry) a potato cut in half and rubbed over the salt marks and left overnight usually works.

other than that have you tried seeing if the shoe shops have anything?

fender
14-Jan-10, 08:47
Try sawdust or sellotape (sic) Works for me!!!!!!

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-10, 10:09
try some of the ideas here, get a boot polish the same colour.

But once you have restored them put a protector spray on them. You get it in most shoe shops (sold it in DE's when i worked there and they still do sell it)

Spray them, leave it to dry for about 2 minutes and this will protect the leather from salt and getting marks. Re-spray every couple of months! :D

There was a plus side to working in a shoe shop

riggerboy
14-Jan-10, 10:51
how about just open the bin and throw them in ????

horseman
14-Jan-10, 12:45
how about just open the bin and throw them in ????

Nothing better than starting the day off with a good laugh:D
Sorry Fran;)

pat
14-Jan-10, 13:16
peel the tattie Fran, give a fair rub on the marks, leave to dry, polish in usual way then apply leather protector.

If really desperate use the inside of a banana skin, leave then polish and apply protector.

cuddlepop
14-Jan-10, 14:07
This has happened to my suede boots and have been using the protector Shelly so what will take the salt out of suede.?:(

Would imagine loads of people have this problem,I've even got grit marks on our black hall carpet.
Almost looks bleached.:(

badger
14-Jan-10, 16:46
Yukky menu - potatoes, bananas, gravy, vinegar, all on top of salt leather.

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-10, 17:55
This has happened to my suede boots and have been using the protector Shelly so what will take the salt out of suede.?:(

Would imagine loads of people have this problem,I've even got grit marks on our black hall carpet.
Almost looks bleached.:(

Go into your local shoe shop/shoe repair. get a suede cleaner. Its a spray aswell but comes with a wee brush on the top of the can. Its a good cleaner and only costs a couple of £.

Make sure you re-protect your boots on a regular basis in weather like this. The salt can get through it so i would advise doing it once a fortnight to keep them safe! I know i wud rather buy a can of protector instead of finding new boots!

Good luck :Razz

cuddlepop
14-Jan-10, 20:36
Go into your local shoe shop/shoe repair. get a suede cleaner. Its a spray aswell but comes with a wee brush on the top of the can. Its a good cleaner and only costs a couple of £.

Make sure you re-protect your boots on a regular basis in weather like this. The salt can get through it so i would advise doing it once a fortnight to keep them safe! I know i wud rather buy a can of protector instead of finding new boots!

Good luck :Razz

Thanks Shelly will have to wait until someone goes to Inverness as we cant get anything "different" here.Have bought the cherry blossom multi purpose spray but it wont be as could as the suede cleaner.:(

Ricco
15-Jan-10, 21:52
Cobblers! No... seriously! Take them to a good cobbler, if anything can be done he'll know what to do.

joxville
16-Jan-10, 00:00
try some of the ideas here, get a boot polish the same colour.

But once you have restored them put a protector spray on them. You get it in most shoe shops (sold it in DE's when i worked there and they still do sell it)

Spray them, leave it to dry for about 2 minutes and this will protect the leather from salt and getting marks. Re-spray every couple of months! :D

There was a plus side to working in a shoe shop

Cheap shoes perhaps? :)

I couldn't work in a shoe shop, I'd find it sole destroying. ;)

joxville
16-Jan-10, 00:02
Cobblers! No... seriously! Take them to a good cobbler, if anything can be done he'll know what to do.

He'll phone riggerboy. [lol]

riggerboy
16-Jan-10, 18:50
He'll phone riggerboy. [lol]

no point i`ll just
hang him hang him hang him

ShelleyCowie
16-Jan-10, 19:02

Well maybe i did get a wee discout, and i still do cos my mum is the manager! [lol]

bobbyrussell09
16-Jan-10, 22:50
i know how you fell fran ,i ruined a pair o ma trainers cause o the grit ,they went blue on bits ,dont know how much urs cost but mine were 50 pound an thats to much to thow away

bobbyrussell09
16-Jan-10, 22:52

Can always rely on joxville to come out with a dry bit of sense of humour

Miss Mack
29-Jan-10, 19:53
its always a good idea to give new shoes a polish or a spray with protector before their first outing ;)!

S&LHEN
29-Jan-10, 20:08
Banana skins sounds disgusting but it does work :lol: