PDA

View Full Version : who do u tip?

dereek
13-Jan-10, 17:38
Hi,

who tips who at christmas? For example.. scaffy men, postie or paperboy?

just curious

Derek

joxville
13-Jan-10, 17:42
No one, they get paid to do a job.

tonkatojo
13-Jan-10, 19:56
Its the Postie and coal man for us, we used to tip the bin men but stopped because the bins just got chucked where ever when emptied :(

riggerboy
14-Jan-10, 11:00
everyone gets a tip from me ,, normally it`s dont stand up in a canoe

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-10, 11:15
I dont tip :confused

Im sorry but cant afford to be doing that right now!

Well done to the posties and bin men though. They do their jobs in awful weather, i know i couldnt do it!

horseman
14-Jan-10, 12:25
Allways the paper boy-girl.

exothermic
14-Jan-10, 13:45
Bin men - they don't have to but the bin back where it sits during the week or go fetch it if I forget to put it out.
Postie - they don't have to leave the post/parcel somewhere safe rather than leaving a card for me to go fetch from Post Office which is miles away.

Its the going-that-bit-extra that's being tipped, not the "doing the job they're paid to do".

So a tip's a nice way of saying thank you.

tonkatojo
14-Jan-10, 14:26
Bin men - they don't have to but the bin back where it sits during the week or go fetch it if I forget to put it out.
Postie - they don't have to leave the post/parcel somewhere safe rather than leaving a card for me to go fetch from Post Office which is miles away.

Its the going-that-bit-extra that's being tipped, not the "doing the job they're paid to do".

Is this a yes you do tip or a no you don't tip ??.

telfordstar
14-Jan-10, 14:26

Very well said.

George Brims
14-Jan-10, 19:10
Pole dancers

ragdollyanna
14-Jan-10, 19:29
I tend not to tip - because before you know it - we'll be like the USA who tip EVERYONE!! I was on a trip recently and according to the travel guide I should be tipping a different amount for reception, wait staff, bar staff, porters, room service and cleaning staff - I was skint and confused before I even left my hotel!

A smile, a thank-you and maybe a box of chocolates at Christmas is a far better plan!

scorpion
14-Jan-10, 19:57
Aren`t you a postie yourself Dereek , you should know if you`ve been tipped or not !!!

George Brims
15-Jan-10, 10:37
I tend not to tip - because before you know it - we'll be like the USA who tip EVERYONE!! I was on a trip recently and according to the travel guide I should be tipping a different amount for reception, wait staff, bar staff, porters, room service and cleaning staff - I was skint and confused before I even left my hotel!

A smile, a thank-you and maybe a box of chocolates at Christmas is a far better plan!
Ah but here's the weird thing, even though there's a lot more tipping in general in the US, this thing of tipping the postie, bin man etc at Christmas doesn't happen here at all.