PDA

View Full Version : moving north

Tom Cornwall
13-Jan-10, 16:57
we were sitting in a local cafe,(in North Walsham), when a couple (we don't know them), came over and asked us where our accent was from...we said Caithness..and they said that they recognised it and that they are moving up to Halkirk, shortly, to live...they have a cottage already there, and know the area fine..so we wished them well in their retirement and I hope that you Halkirk folks welcome them to the area permanently...we didn't ask them for their names...so keep your eyes open..thanks

trix
13-Jan-10, 17:22
hope ye promoted 'e org tom :D

Scunner
13-Jan-10, 17:57
Speaking from experience, you need to be resident in Halkirk for at least 25 years before you are a 'local'.

Phill
13-Jan-10, 18:25
Speaking from experience, you need to be resident in Halkirk for at least 25 years before you are a 'local'.

Crikey! That soon, I thought is was a couple of generations.

:eek:

philupmaboug
13-Jan-10, 18:30
Norfolk......Halkirk.......Banjo's! they are all the same aren't they?

Tom Cornwall
13-Jan-10, 19:44
hope ye promoted 'e org tom :D

I forgot....I must be getting to THAT age....

murrays25
13-Jan-10, 19:52
bit harsh here guys there are some decent halkirk folk that will welcome them. the couple must have been impressed by the village by the time they picked halkirk over the rest of caithness!!!!!!!!!

BINBOB
13-Jan-10, 19:57

Well I am along way off,only done 2!!;)But my heart will always be in Dundee!!!

roadbowler
13-Jan-10, 20:11
yous dundonians are all the same! Lmao:Razz

BINBOB
13-Jan-10, 20:55
yous dundonians are all the same! Lmao:razz

thank u....;)

Stavro
13-Jan-10, 20:58
Takes a while to get to know the locals and vice-versa. Halkirk is a picturesque village. Positives and negatives can be more or less the same depending on the way you view a given situation. Being yourself and finding like-minded people makes the transition easier. :)

horseman
13-Jan-10, 22:39
Halkirk is a lovely wee place.:)

golach
13-Jan-10, 23:15
yous dundonians are all the same! Lmao:Razz
Dundonians?? Jings Crivinns, help ma Boab, they are ingan bridie eaters, and berry pickers [lol]

Aaldtimer
14-Jan-10, 03:42
Dundonians?? Jings Crivinns, help ma Boab, they are ingan bridie eaters, and berry pickers [lol]

Guilty as charged!:) Canna get a decent ingin bridie noo'adays ava!:confused
Wallaces is no more!

BINBOB
14-Jan-10, 05:59
:lol::lol:

Lingland
14-Jan-10, 09:23
we were sitting in a local cafe,(in North Walsham), when a couple (we don't know them), came over and asked us where our accent was from...we said Caithness..and they said that they recognised it and that they are moving up to Halkirk, shortly, to live...they have a cottage already there, and know the area fine..so we wished them well in their retirement and I hope that you Halkirk folks welcome them to the area permanently...we didn't ask them for their names...so keep your eyes open..thanks
Ye mean to say yer both still spekan with yer local accent efter all this tim cause its been a long time since ye left weel done

Tom Cornwall
15-Jan-10, 14:47
Ye mean to say yer both still spekan with yer local accent efter all this tim cause its been a long time since ye left weel done

we always spoke posh :)

skylight
15-Jan-10, 19:32
Lovely to see the Rede Trix..