PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Haiti

Creme_Egg
13-Jan-10, 12:54
Im sitting here watchin the news as i do every morning and what comes on?....World disaster. Cant belive Haiti has been hit by an earthquake thousends of people dead...Then google comes on with a story that they are throwing a hissy fit over NOTHING. Nice to see where BBC News 24 prioritys are. Poor Poor Haiti!!

supernova
13-Jan-10, 13:13
My thoughts are with all the people in Haiti. It always seems to be the countries who are least equipped to deal with such disasters that are hit by them. Only wish I was in a position to go over there and help them myself. :~(

_Ju_
13-Jan-10, 13:17
It shows how privledged we are to have acess to the services we automatically feeled entitled to and demand over here. Yes we pay the taxes for them, but wecan actually see where the money goes. In poor corrupt countries, payment is due as well, but to fill the pockets of the few. When thing go wrong, those few flee and leave the poor nothing.

Rheghead
13-Jan-10, 13:57
News reports that all UN personnel in the UN mission HQ building in Port au Prince have been killed. :(

onecalledk
13-Jan-10, 14:36
hi

the earthquake is HAITI is devastating and i personally find it a bit disturbing that on the news sites there is video footage showing terrible suffering. How is this dignified or showing respect to these poor people affected. We are too much a shock reporting society. I think we are all very aware what happens during an earthquake and injuries people may suffer.....

on the comment about google its not about nothing. CHina has an atrocious human rights record and google are highlighting the fact that they cannot operate in a country where there is such vast censorship by the government. The people of china are showing their support to google earlier today on the news.

K

horseman
13-Jan-10, 15:13
Terrible reports on the news about the earthquake--
How can those poor sods who have damm all to start with-hope to recover from that! No utilities,probably had very little to start with anyway,hope the usual world support agencies get their act together -as they normally do,an do all they can to help.I would help them if I could,pop a few bob in the kitty as usual,but it makes our chuntering about the weather of late look small time.:(

wickscorrie
13-Jan-10, 16:01
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.html

how devasting for them

but the aftershocks forthis earthquake are huge as well that must have been some shift in the plates (closet nerd i am when it comes to natural events - though i'd never wish the suffering on anyone)

Bazeye
13-Jan-10, 17:36
My thoughts are with all the people in Haiti. It always seems to be the countries who are least equipped to deal with such disasters that are hit by them. Only wish I was in a position to go over there and help them myself. :~(

Least equipped to deal with it? Imagine if there was a major earthquake here. It snows here and the whole country grinds to a halt.

sam09
13-Jan-10, 20:48
How can we help? I know we are all struggling here in the U.K. with our own problems but I urge all to give some-thing to help these people. If you can donate at your local Red Cross shop or any way you can. Hand in any unwanted items to help raise funds, every little helps please. btw I have no connection to the Red Cross or any other charity.

horseman
13-Jan-10, 22:46
Well put sam,hope hope more people go your way.

joxville
13-Jan-10, 23:19
Why is the thread titled Earthquake in Tahiti? Haiti and Tahiti are almost 6000 miles apart.

golach
13-Jan-10, 23:23
Why is the thread titled Earthquake in Tahiti? Haiti and Tahiti are almost 6000 miles apart.
I did a double take at that headline also Jox, thought of pouring my beer away, and signing the pledge:eek:

Turquoise
13-Jan-10, 23:25

It's almost an anagram though so surely forgivable?? :)

Bobinovich
13-Jan-10, 23:26

I did a double take at that headline also Jox, thought of pouring my beer away, and signing the pledge:eek:

Ahem no it isnt :o :p. My apologies for any confusion - I merged two threads an didn't engage my brain quite in time...

brandy
13-Jan-10, 23:29
i dont know if this has anything to do with anything.. but just out of curiosity.. and in no way taking away from the loss of life which is a very important issue...
but.. in the last few days there was a large earthquake off the coast of california.. i think it was about a 7 magnitude.. and florida is experincing major sink holes at the moment.. is there any way that this is all related and to possible mean something worse to come?
i may have watched way to many end of the world movies.. but because a lot is going on in the same area of the globe .. continent wise.. it justkind of makes me think..
saying that.. my prayers and thoughts do go out to all the people who have been lost and to the loved ones of those grieving and trying to live thru this nightmare.

_Ju_
14-Jan-10, 00:42
They could be related. but it would take a geologist to know, Brandy. The flaws could be related. Haiti lies on a big flaw. So does California. When there is a shift in one, I would think it build up stresses in related flaws (they are relatively close to eachother, I suppose)
From what I understand, stress builds up in the flaws that can be released in lots of smaller tremores or build up greatly and then released in a great tremor. California often and mostly has smaller quakes (with some notable exceptions, offcourse) which I suppose is better.

Kodiak
14-Jan-10, 00:48
The International Charity "Medecins Sans Frontieres" have 800 staff in Haiti and are setting up clinics and helping Hundreds of people injured in the Quake. They have had to set up Clinics as 3 of their own hospitals in Port-au-Prince have suffered significant damage.

They have appealed for help and if anyone would like to donate to this Charity then please click on the link below. :-

https://rsm2.rsmsecure.com/cpterminal/cpweb.php?__utma=1.1071138371.1263425856.126342585 6.1263425856.1&__utmb=1.7.10.1263425856&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1263425856.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28or ganic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=medicines%20san%20f rontiers&__utmv=-&__utmk=80500503 (https://rsm2.rsmsecure.com/cpterminal/cpweb.php?__utma=1.1071138371.1263425856.126342585 6.1263425856.1&__utmb=1.7.10.1263425856&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1263425856.1.1.utmcsr=google%7Cutmccn=%28 organic%29%7Cutmcmd=organic%7Cutmctr=medicines%20s an%20frontiers&__utmv=-&__utmk=80500503)

This is a link to their Home Page :-

http://www.msf.org.uk/

joxville
14-Jan-10, 05:03
Ahem no it isnt :o :p. My apologies for any confusion - I merged two threads an didn't engage my brain quite in time...

<Jox sings> Bobby is a numpty, Bobby is a numpty. [lol]

retrodj
14-Jan-10, 09:51
Im sitting here watchin the news as i do every morning and what comes on?....World disaster. Cant belive Haiti has been hit by an earthquake thousends of people dead...Then google comes on with a story that they are throwing a hissy fit over NOTHING. Nice to see where BBC News 24 prioritys are. Poor Poor Haiti!!

And parts of the UK are worried about running out of grit, Puts things in to perspective. Watching the news last night and seeing all those people sitting in the street, covered in dust and blood. Seeing those mums with their injured children really was heartbreaking.

Humerous Vegetable
14-Jan-10, 11:46
This news was absolutely heartbreaking. It seems to be the unluckiest nation on earth, so far as natural disasters go. Does anyone know why there doesn't seem to have been any warning whatsoever given? Surely, with all the sophisticated seismological equipement scattered around the globe, something should have been picked up?

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 13:39
Thank goodness that God moves in mysterious ways and has his reasons for this, Heaven forbid if we lived in a Godless world and things like this happen willy nilly at random.:~(

brandy
14-Jan-10, 15:36
wow rheg how sympathetic you are.. im so glad you dont have to deal with things like comon human decency. instead lets be sarcastic as all get out.. in our nice comfy home where we have everything at our finger tip.. and use a horrible tragedy as a way to poke at religion.. grow up you creep
if any one wants to censor me for the above.. go ahead.. i for one am fed up with his snide remarks.

Rheghead
14-Jan-10, 20:05
wow rheg how sympathetic you are.. im so glad you dont have to deal with things like comon human decency. instead lets be sarcastic as all get out.. in our nice comfy home where we have everything at our finger tip.. and use a horrible tragedy as a way to poke at religion.. grow up you creep
if any one wants to censor me for the above.. go ahead.. i for one am fed up with his snide remarks.

I tired of being insulted by people like you, totally unprovoked. I'm insulted by the fact you maintain that there is a God which is capable of mass murder and you love him for it. What is more primitive?

brandy
14-Jan-10, 20:27
lets see... how often do i give people a hard time about their personal beliefs? how often do i go on to posts that have nothing to do with religion and start running my mouth about how stupid it is to belive in something other than some one else. honestly i could care less what your personal beliefs are.. but you have done nothing but run your mouth to who ever would listen or have the pure misfortune to read your biggoted hate filled mongering.
yes, im tired of it.
this post was completly unsuitable for that post, and if there was any decency in you, you would not have posted it.
im sorry you are a sorry piece of an excuse for humanity. i dont guess you can help the way you are.
if you want to be an atheist more power to you.. but do you have to be so closed minded and hateful to everyone that has a dif. belief system than you?
i dont like you.. im sure there are others that dont like you...im sure there are loads of people that dont like me.. boo hoo.. at least im honest and tell people that yes im christian and stand up for my beliefs.. and i dont go around telling them that they are commiting child abuse for indoctrinating their children, or that a real God wouldnt do bad things.. blah blah blah..
grow up a little..
quit hating so much..
and try and post appropriatly.. ie, when people are talking in sympathy over a horrible act of nature.. and you start throwing you bigotry in.. thats not appropriate.. this post is prob. not appropriate.. and will be the last one i put on this subject.. but it is time that some one told you to your face you are an ass

crayola
16-Jan-10, 14:20
lets see... how often do i give people a hard time about their personal beliefs? how often do i go on to posts that have nothing to do with religion and start running my mouth about how stupid it is to belive in something other than some one else. honestly i could care less what your personal beliefs are.. but you have done nothing but run your mouth to who ever would listen or have the pure misfortune to read your biggoted hate filled mongering.
yes, im tired of it.
this post was completly unsuitable for that post, and if there was any decency in you, you would not have posted it.
im sorry you are a sorry piece of an excuse for humanity. i dont guess you can help the way you are.
if you want to be an atheist more power to you.. but do you have to be so closed minded and hateful to everyone that has a dif. belief system than you?
i dont like you.. im sure there are others that dont like you...im sure there are loads of people that dont like me.. boo hoo.. at least im honest and tell people that yes im christian and stand up for my beliefs.. and i dont go around telling them that they are commiting child abuse for indoctrinating their children, or that a real God wouldnt do bad things.. blah blah blah..
grow up a little..
quit hating so much..
and try and post appropriatly.. ie, when people are talking in sympathy over a horrible act of nature.. and you start throwing you bigotry in.. thats not appropriate.. this post is prob. not appropriate.. and will be the last one i put on this subject.. but it is time that some one told you to your face you are an ass
A good rule of thumb for any forum is 'don't post when you've lost your cool' because it often leads to a rude unstructured intemperate rant.

Stavro
16-Jan-10, 19:45
Thank goodness that God moves in mysterious ways and has his reasons for this, Heaven forbid if we lived in a Godless world and things like this happen willy nilly at random.:~(

I agree with brandy.

Rheghead, your sarcastic comment was totally inappropriate for this thread and if you had any decency you would simply apologise, instead of compounding your error. [evil]

This tragedy is awful.

Stavro
16-Jan-10, 19:59
Whether you agree or not is irrelevent, fact is God causes these events for his own reasons. It might have summat to do with all the voodoo stuff in Haitian culture which may annoy God. History tells us that Faith in God is bolstered by such events amongst the most affected so it must be God's will.

I am not going to get engaged in some "debate" with you on this thread, though I know that is what you want.

I also knew that you would not apologise. Pathetic.

Start an appropriate thread and I'll discuss it with you there. Until then, grow up mate.

sweep
16-Jan-10, 20:19
RH why do you think its your raison d'etre to
1. wind people up
2. say black is white for the sake of it
3.Always dissagree for reaction

what sort of person are you?

every post of yours is the same!
aggressive, smug, self centred come to mind...

how many posts??

have you ever thought about taking up a hobby to get you away from C. org...

Stavro
16-Jan-10, 21:02
RH ...
how many posts??

Good question. Far, far too many, in my opinion, though he seems to be busying himself at the moment by deleting some of them. :eek:

The next best thing to an apology, I suppose.

bekisman
16-Jan-10, 22:30
I'm not stirring things with Reggy, but as an Atheist myself (Humanist leaning) and as a ex-Fire-fighter and military, I've seen things that will always stay with me; horrible things. But I have no argument with anyone turning to their 'Gods' when they need to in such situations as this - how can it harm me.

Any string of comfort is of help.. some poor sod right now, clinging on to hope as their life ebbs away under some collapsed building, I do not begrudge in any way, their right to cling onto their beliefs in their final moments..

As Dave [Tynan O'Mahoney] Allen - an atheist - used to say ""Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"

Phill
16-Jan-10, 22:35
Kinda back on topic....ish

is there any way that this is all related and to possible mean something worse to come?Highly probable they were connected, seems they are along the same fault line.

i may have watched way to many end of the world movies.. Yep!

with all the sophisticated seismological equipement scattered around the globe, something should have been picked up?
Unfortunately it's not really a predictable thing. Tectonic plates are constantly shifting around the globe, only by inches as one pushes under another. A fault line is where they are pretty much pressing against each other, slowly this pressure builds and builds and builds and eventually something gives and this is unfortunately the result.

They may know where but not when, and the equipment generally records what is going on.

Margaret M.
17-Jan-10, 01:01
I am in awe of the bravery of the rescue workers from all nations. I don’t know if I would have the courage to slither into a crumbled building in search of survivors. Disasters like these remind us how very lucky we are and spotlight the true heroes in this world.

brandy
17-Jan-10, 02:58
found this tonight on cnn...
it is a list of charities that you can trust. also gives you information on what each one does and what any donation you make will be going for. i swear i just keep on wanting to grab up as many of those babies as i can and bring them home.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1004