PDA

View Full Version : Jawlock

celtic1888
12-Jan-10, 01:57
I get jawlock every wee while, just wondering if anyone knows how to fix it?
My jaw locks everytime a go to open my mouth when eating etc and can be sore.. any ideas?

thurso_123
12-Jan-10, 02:00
Yeh dont open your mouth so wide just for a piece hahahahahahhahahahahah

Fat Man

BINBOB
12-Jan-10, 05:30
I get jawlock every wee while, just wondering if anyone knows how to fix it?
My jaw locks everytime a go to open my mouth when eating etc and can be sore.. any ideas?

U should mention it to ur dr.poor u.

Kevin Milkins
12-Jan-10, 10:27
Not sure how to fix it, but if it is contagious, please could you give Mrs M a kiss for me.:Razz

spurtle
12-Jan-10, 11:40
Go to the dentist, it may be that you grind your teeth at night, as I did.I was given a plastic splint to cover my bottom teeth at night, it went away the next day, after 6 months of not being able to open my mouth properly.

Gronnuck
12-Jan-10, 13:32
It could be a form of cramp. OH says she occasionally has the same but she rubs the underside of her chin to ease it off but the ache takes a while to subside.

Geo
12-Jan-10, 13:59
I sometimes get cramp under my jaw when I yawn. Man it's agony!

Kodiak
12-Jan-10, 15:26
This could be Jaw Joint Disfunction, have a look here :-

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/jaw_joint_problems.html

horseman
12-Jan-10, 16:06
Jawjock-sounds awful-is it akin to lockjaw?
Not that I am familiar with either, but the concept sounds yuuk-
Listen to the good advice on here an all the best to you.

BINBOB
12-Jan-10, 17:47
Not sure how to fix it, but if it is contagious, please could you give Mrs M a kiss for me.

:lol::lol:[lol]

Whitewater
12-Jan-10, 23:41
I know a few people I would like to see with lock-jaw, particularly when I want some peace and quiet.

Connor.
13-Jan-10, 01:30
Quick google comes up with

Don't chew chewing gum and avoid biting ice
Try massaging your jaw
Ibruprofen to reduce inflammation
Also, icepacks because it might be swollen

Ricco
13-Jan-10, 18:40
My sister had that when she was young. The physio had to manipulate her jaw to increase the depth of the socket and stop it popping out of place. Not too painful, I woould guess, as my sister if something of a woose. :D

Fran
14-Jan-10, 01:16
Lockjaw is a spasm of the masseter (jaw)muscle or a bacterial diesease or an infective disease of the central nervous system. go to your gp who will prescribe antibiotics, sedatives and muscle relaxants.

Torvaig
14-Jan-10, 02:09
Lockjaw is a spasm of the masseter (jaw)muscle or a bacterial diesease or an infective disease of the central nervous system. go to your gp who will prescribe antibiotics, sedatives and muscle relaxants.

Lockjaw is tetanus; jaw lock is a different condition.

©Amethyst
14-Jan-10, 12:52
Go to the dentist, it may be that you grind your teeth at night, as I did.I was given a plastic splint to cover my bottom teeth at night, it went away the next day, after 6 months of not being able to open my mouth properly.

Oh the joys of Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction! I had the same thing happen to me, although my GP had referred me to the Oral Surgery department at Raigmore (in case you don't have a private dentist)... Although I know someone with a splint who pays for hers, £50 every time it wears out.

Was supposed to live on a liquid diet for about 8 months or so, it didn't happen lol, but the splint certainly helps me, although now and then I catch myself clenching my teeth during the day so have been told to wear it during the day, too :(

BTW, Connor suggests something that can make a huge difference - don't chew gum if you get pain in your jaw. I used to chew gum for a little bit after lunch as I refused to brush my teeth at work.

I also have to hold my jaw shut when I yawn (which if in public gets some funny looks, but at least I know why I'm doing it - rest of the world doesn't have to) so that the muscles don't get strained.

I have also got a piece of paper (somewhere) with excercises on it to help strengthen the temporalmandibular. If you would like me to scan and e-mail I will if I can, feel free to PM me.

Ricco
15-Jan-10, 21:55
Nope - a good physio. The one that treated my sister used to grip her jaw from below so that his thumb pressed on one hinge and his fingers pressed on the other and then he moved her jaw up and down, repeatedly. About 1/2 hour each time; took several weeks of visits but he eventually wore the sockets a little deeper so that her jaw was secure. Never bothered her again.