PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite country?

redeyedtreefrog
11-Jan-10, 21:29
You're not allowed to say Britain, the UK, Scotland or whatever country you were born in.

Rheghead
11-Jan-10, 21:35
My favorite country is Argentina. I spent 6 weeks there in 1979. It is a country of contrasts both geographical and demographical. It is has its problems but no country is so beautiful on so many levels due to it extending from near the tropics to the Antarctic circle.

Invisible
11-Jan-10, 22:17
um...............Big Country
I would probably say Canada

joxville
11-Jan-10, 22:27
I've never been there but *Iceland has held an attraction to me from a young age.

*The country, not the shop.

northener
11-Jan-10, 22:32
I've never been there but *Iceland has held an attraction to me from a young age.

Get yourself up there Joxy, it's a fantastic place*. I was going to say Iceland myself, but seeing as you've already said it I'll go back and think of summat different.

*and the women are stunning.......

chaz
11-Jan-10, 22:36
Italy has to be mine brings back childhood memories:D

elamanya
11-Jan-10, 22:43
Oh Canada..... roll on the 2nd of july for another visit, Calgary/Saskatoon .

Phill
11-Jan-10, 22:45
Belgium!

It's just sooo interesting. Spent nearly 4 hours there, but then saw sense and ed off.

ShelleyCowie
11-Jan-10, 22:50

I have wanted to go there for years* looks lovely there!

*cant say from a young age because im not as old as you are Jox! ;)

shazzap
11-Jan-10, 22:57

Get yourself up there Joxy, it's a fantastic place*. I was going to say Iceland myself, but seeing as you've already said it I'll go back and think of summat different

*and the women are stunning.......

I would love to visit Iceland and see the hot pools.

annemarie482
11-Jan-10, 22:58
i'm breakin the rules and sayin my favourite

BONNIE SCOTLAND!:D

there's no place i'd rather be. x

Alan16
11-Jan-10, 23:01
New Zealand for me. A beautiful country.

bingo1
11-Jan-10, 23:02
id say since theres no place like home scotland but as were not allowed to say that it will have to be america i went orlando it was amazing.:D

canuck
11-Jan-10, 23:07
By ruling out the country of our birth then I get to claim Scotland as my favourite.

sandyr1
11-Jan-10, 23:10
Ohhhhhhhhhh Canada!

canuck
11-Jan-10, 23:17
Ohhhhhhhhhh Canada!

Excellent choice!!!! :)

golach
11-Jan-10, 23:34
Hard to choose, been to so many countries in the World, Canada has some fond memories, New Zealand has beautiful scenery, Japan was an eyeopener, but I have to say Canada if it was sunny and did not have black flies [lol] And 3/4s of them speak & understand Scottish

northener
11-Jan-10, 23:56
I've got to say that I do like Canada. I have many fond memories of Halifax N.S. in fact I should have taken up the job offer from the Canadian Coastguard whilst there......damndamndamn....

However, seeing as Icelands gone to Joxy, I'll say Greenland - Holsteinsborg (or Sisimuit to give it it's proper name) http://www.greenlandinpictures.com/sisimiut.html

Berthed alongside in the town, you could fish off the back end of the ship and haul out no end of 15 -20lb cod. Stunning scenery too.

Kathy@watten
12-Jan-10, 00:13
I personnally like Germany soooo much particularly Bavaria, food and beer good, people not stereo typically german at all, climate similar to our own which suits me! lovely scenery and great for activities other than eating struddles and quoffing the beer back. Fab tack shops too...bonus! There is grass growing in the fields unlike some places with crispy grass. Not a sand sea and sangria girl at all, what with us having the best beaches why travel for a few feet of pre stood in sand with sweaty beach neighbours....yuck!

roadbowler
12-Jan-10, 00:51
yep, swam the geothermal pools in iceland in january many years back when i was pregnant. Twas braw! Really want to do a trip, orkney, fair isle, shetland, faroes, iceland, greenland, labrador. Personally, scotland is the best... Never finished exploring with all the islands. Switzerland and slovenia good too!

wickscorrie
12-Jan-10, 00:52
usa but state of florida in particular the mouses home for me any day
so i will second bingo1

Fran
12-Jan-10, 00:55
Singapore, where i lived for many years and Majorca

chef4celebrations
12-Jan-10, 01:37
i would have to say germany i love the people and the food not to mention the beer, spent a few years there, and i also speak the lingo very well i am told, but for the winter i would have to move to my other home which is NZ, had xmas out there in 2001 on the beach havin a bbq and a beer...lol

Kenn
12-Jan-10, 01:51
Well I must opt for Greece..great place to visit with stunning sceenery, good food,fantastic music and lovely people.

Venture
12-Jan-10, 09:04
I'm with you on all counts Lizz. Don't think I shall ever forget the scenery, especially the beaches on Corfu.:cool:

Fstevens
12-Jan-10, 10:46
Have to say Switerland, sooo like Scotland which I love.:)

jimbews
12-Jan-10, 11:24
Well I must opt for Greece..great place to visit with stunning sceenery, good food,fantastic music and lovely people.

I'll second that. As long as it's not at the height of summer.

Roll on June :)

Symi this year (if all goes according to plan).
Stifado, pastitsio (that's me drooling already).

pat
12-Jan-10, 12:18
My favourite is Canada, next comes Singapore, Germany, Holland, Spain and Greece as long as it is not amongst the tourists, just getting to know the locals and living as they do is great in most countries.

I like the relaxation and switch off time in Ireland - both north and south.

piratelassie
12-Jan-10, 12:24
Greece, any island will do, warm weather and friendly people...:D

Thumper
12-Jan-10, 12:45
Without doubt my favourite is Canada,I love the place so much!x

Angela
12-Jan-10, 12:49
I'll second that. As long as it's not at the height of summer.

Roll on June :)

Symi this year (if all goes according to plan).
Stifado, pastitsio (that's me drooling already).

Greece for me too :) and most especially Symi - I've been there many times over the past 20 odd years. :D

Have a wonderful time, Jim.

riggerboy
12-Jan-10, 13:30
mine is afganistan wonderful place fully of scantily clad women mind you the men are a bit over protective of their donkeys and sand dune, lot of americans there just now but you just have to put up with them, few british there to, all seem to wear the same sort of clothes, never mind each to their own,

Green_not_greed
12-Jan-10, 13:38
It would have to be the US - either Colorado or Arizona. I worked in Colorado for a while, just north of Denver. In early summer, it was often about 100F on the valley floor, but a couple of miles up in the mountains, you'd gone to over 12,000 feet, where the roads still had 4 feet of snow on either side! The scenery was stunning. Likewise Arizona, where the Grand Canyon is - as they saw - awesome.....

domino
12-Jan-10, 15:53
I think that after Slovenia it must be Norway. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking.

horseman
12-Jan-10, 16:19
Germany is great for me,Belgium is complete pants,but the US of A is the ace in the hole for me. Especially Florida as eldest son an family have just moved there.No too keen on the thought of the snap snaps thou'.;)

newpark
12-Jan-10, 16:35
For a holiday destination for me it's USA been all over and loved everywhere although Goodland Kansas was very very boring.
To live would have to be middle east but not Dubai as it's just a massive construction site.

redeyedtreefrog
12-Jan-10, 17:03
mine is afganistan wonderful place fully of scantily clad women mind you the men are a bit over protective of their donkeys and sand dune, lot of americans there just now but you just have to put up with them, few british there to, all seem to wear the same sort of clothes, never mind each to their own,

LOL! that made me laugh so hard.

Mine is Norway, no particular reason.

tonkatojo
12-Jan-10, 17:19
LOL! that made me laugh so hard.

Mine is Norway, no particular reason.

Norway you say I would have thought this would have been it LOL.

The Red-eyed Tree Frog (Agalychnis callidryas) is an arboreal hylid native to Neotropical rainforests in Central America.

But if your partial to evergreens Norway's OK. ;)

Rheghead
12-Jan-10, 17:35
Mine is Norway.

You obviously are rich or don't drink pints of beer! :) What is it now over there, £10 a pint, poor things! :~(

Skifter
12-Jan-10, 18:57
Definitely Iceland. Went there a few years ago what an amazing place.

oldmarine
12-Jan-10, 19:52
I will follow the rules and not name my homeland USofA. My first experience away from the states was Samoa in the South Pacific. It was so peaceful, warm and beautiful there and the people were charming. After WW2 my job travels started taking me to European places. I have been to many places throughout Europe and Asia, but I will have to raise Bonny Scotland as my favorite due to the nice repception of its people and its scenery. I often refer to it as my home away from home. The country I least like is France. I made one trip there on business. I visited the many places where my fellow citizens lost their lives during WW2. Their remains are still buried there. The short time I was there I felt that I, as a citizen of the USA, was not welcomed there. It was close to the feeling of Yank go home. I have been told that around Normandy where many Yanks lost their lives it is not like that. I certainly hope this is true.

redeyedtreefrog
12-Jan-10, 22:24
Ah, the wonders of Kenya...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbYtASAakAI&feature=channel

neepnipper
12-Jan-10, 22:24
I love Turkey (the place not the bird, don't even have that on Christmas Day!), beautiful scenery ans lovely people, have been there loads of times and have always enjoyed it.

I visited Israel when I was younger and loved it, apart from the bullet holes in the windscreen of the coach in Jerusalem!

Whitewater
12-Jan-10, 23:34
It has to be Australia for me, land of great contrasts and has everything, and their leaders take no crap from imigrants.

ragdollyanna
13-Jan-10, 10:40
For me it's Italy. I used to live there and the lifestyle was fantastic. They were so family orientated and they had "festas" for anything and everything.... balloons, bikes.... cheese! Any excuse for a party! And the nightclubs - everyone having a great time but without any agro that comes with people being absolutely blazing, as seems to be the British mentality! (And I'm not saying I'm totally innocent here);)