PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Ban on Wild Fowl Shooting during Cold Snap

Rheghead
11-Jan-10, 20:38
I see the Scottish Government has slapped a temporary shooting ban over the whole of Scotland till 18th January on shooting birds which are covered by Schedule 2 Part 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Eg Coot, Tufted duck, Gadwall, Goldeneye, Canada, Greylag, Pinkfoot geese, Mallard, Moorhen, Pintail, Golden Plover, Pochard, Shoveller, Common Snipe, Teal, Wigeon and Woodcock.

Anybody affected by this and do you support the Government's postion?

Leanne
11-Jan-10, 21:00
Its been a few weeks now... I agree with it to a degree - if lots die off due to no food in the cold weather then there's less for next year :(

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-10, 21:09
Bit late Rheg, ban came into force a week ago. No responsible wildfowler will be upset by the ban. When you're shooting for the table, theres no point in shooting birds that are so emaciated by lack of feeding that you could barely find enough meat to make a bowl of soup.

Leanne
11-Jan-10, 21:18
Bit late Rheg, ban came into force a week ago. No responsible wildfowler will be upset by the ban. When you're shooting for the table, theres no point in shooting birds that are so emaciated by lack of feeding that you could barely find enough meat to make a bowl of soup.

Good point :)

northener
11-Jan-10, 21:32
I'm suprised to see Golden Plover on that list, I thought they were protected?

Aaldtimer
11-Jan-10, 21:48
I'm suprised to see Golden Plover on that list, I thought they were protected?

Me too Northener!:eek:

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-10, 21:48
All species of birds are protected Northener. But there is an "Open List" allowing certain species to be shot during certain times of the year. Golden Plover are on the open list.

northener
11-Jan-10, 22:20
Bloody hell, things sure have changed since I shot back in the 70's! I never even realised that bird protection worked 'in reverse' as it were (ie, protected unless stated otherwise).

I'll stick to dogs and ferrets, I know what I'm doing with them......sort of.:Razz

Stavro
11-Jan-10, 23:42
I see the Scottish Government has slapped a temporary shooting ban over the whole of Scotland till 18th January on shooting birds which are covered by Schedule 2 Part 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Eg Coot, Tufted duck, Gadwall, Goldeneye, Canada, Greylag, Pinkfoot geese, Mallard, Moorhen, Pintail, Golden Plover, Pochard, Shoveller, Common Snipe, Teal, Wigeon and Woodcock.

Anybody affected by this and do you support the Government's postion?

I have no problem at all with this ban, since I am a vegetarian. :)

Kathy@watten
11-Jan-10, 23:57
Was aware and am observing the birdy no shoot, and by personal choice am not doing any shooting of any birds just now, but has anyone noticed how skinny all the bunnies are just now? Took the russells for a game of bunnies the other night and they caught 8 but between them you couldn't feed a family of 4 and have dog feeds. They must be hungry as there has been no grass out and about for weeks and what they do find they must use more energy foraging than calories gained eating it......perhaps Scottish slimmer might try this next...just an idea!

northener
12-Jan-10, 00:04
Was aware and am observing the birdy no shoot, and by personal choice am not doing any shooting of any birds just now, but has anyone noticed how skinny all the bunnies are just now? Took the russells for a game of bunnies the other night and they caught 8 but between them you couldn't feed a family of 4 and have dog feeds. They must be hungry as there has been no grass out and about for weeks and what they do find they must use more energy foraging than calories gained eating it......perhaps Scottish slimmer might try this next...just an idea!

The rabs down on the dunes at Sinclair Bay have been noticeable by their absence, I hope they're feeding on a night.

Kirdon
13-Jan-10, 14:17

Behind this 100%.