PDA

View Full Version : wick - halkirk temp difference

over-the-ord
11-Jan-10, 08:26
i left wick last night at 9.37pm car temp was 3 slowly on my route home the temperature dropped, got to halkirk looked again -12 couldnt believe it was 15 degrees colder than wick, never seen a big diference like that before :~(

chaz
11-Jan-10, 08:33
i left wick last night at 9.37pm car temp was 3 slowly on my route home the temperature dropped, got to halkirk looked again -12 couldnt believe it was 15 degrees colder than wick, never seen a big diference like that before :~(

It was the same the other night it was 2 in wick and at our house between watten and spital it was -11 , i was amazed at the diference:eek:

rob1
11-Jan-10, 11:04
Last night after leaving westfield it was -11oc and by the time I got to Thurso it was 0. BRRRRRRR

kmahon2001
11-Jan-10, 11:46
This is why the weather forecasts on the TV, and on the various websites such as the BBC and the Met Office, are a complete waste of time. They only indicate the weather on the coast, such as Wick, Scrabster or even Aberdeen and yet the weather just a bit inland is completely different. It's the same in the summer. The weather people tell you the maximum temperature is going to be 18-20 degrees and yet in Halkirk it's 27 or 28 degrees. Why do they always set their weather stations in coastal areas?:roll:

Kodiak
11-Jan-10, 15:22
It is also the reason why there have been no DWP Payments for the Cold Weather. It has been below Freezing in Thurso but not in Wick. Since the DWP goes by the Met Office in Wick then according to the Rules no Paymets were necessary even though we have had more than 7 nights well below freezing.

As to why Weather Stations are on the Coast, this I believe is a hang over from when Lighthouses were Manned. I was a Lighthouse Keeper for 25 Years and nearly every Manned Station was also a Weather Reporting Station for the Met Office. All Lightkeepers were trained Weather Observers and they used to report the Weather direct to the Met Office on the hour and evey hour, 24/7. This was ideal for the Met Office as Lighthouses were Manned 24/7 and there was always at least one Lightkeeper on duty to do the weather report.

stekar
11-Jan-10, 17:30
According to STV it was minus 21 degress at Altnaharra last night, glad I'm where I am near the coast.

Phoenix200416
11-Jan-10, 17:39
According to STV it was minus 21 degress at Altnaharra last night, glad I'm where I am near the coast.

I was watching that weather forecast today. It was showing a big difference in temps between wick and where I am! It was -19C last night :eek: