PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the snow

munron
10-Jan-10, 16:29
Loving all your photos, I have a thing about Caithness weather pictures and sunset/rise. I did ask Santa for a new camera but I must have been bad, so will put it on my to do list.

Here is one of my efforts from the other day

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p216/munron_photos/P1070060.jpg

Last nights sky

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p216/munron_photos/P1090002.jpg

froal
10-Jan-10, 21:33
Both good photo's but like the last nights sky best as the dyke stands out really well against the nite sky :D

munron
10-Jan-10, 22:11
Thanks Froal, I am fascinated how people "see" photos to take, with that I mean how to frame etc. Mine are a hit or a miss but I love taking a half dozen and seeing what works. I have no eye really for a photo but i was please how the wall came out

Mystical Potato Head
11-Jan-10, 20:42
Well done Munron.Like how you've captured the snow falling in the first shot.

Rictina
11-Jan-10, 20:50
Munron, I'm the same with santa & the lack of a camera, lol.

Fab shots you have there, I especially like the second one its very dramatic.

froal
11-Jan-10, 21:52
Thanks Froal, I am fascinated how people "see" photos to take, with that I mean how to frame etc. Mine are a hit or a miss but I love taking a half dozen and seeing what works. I have no eye really for a photo but i was please how the wall came out
I must put more of mine on i've been taking enough of them but i mainly take photo's with my Camera phone thou..!! and my main camera runs out of juice when i need it most...!!:confused

munron
11-Jan-10, 21:52
Aww guys thanks for your comments, I have to say that I am just a happy snapper but I feel that photos - old and new - capture a moment in time that wont ever come back. I dont mean that to sound as though I need to get out more, I just love photos. Anyway this is another photo I took the other day and this is why I need a new camera, the lilac and pinks were more vibrant in real life.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p216/munron_photos/P1070046.jpg

Mystical Potato Head
11-Jan-10, 22:41
Soon cure the vibrancy(is that a word?)with a wee bit of photoshopping,not that i know anything about vibrant images..........;)

munron
11-Jan-10, 23:05
Soon cure the vibrancy(is that a word?)with a wee bit of photoshopping,not that i know anything about vibrant images..........;)

Thanks MPH, but doesnt photoshopping then make it not real? See this is where I jist dinna know, although I have done it on photos of myself but then there is a reason :)

Mystical Potato Head
12-Jan-10, 00:19
Thanks MPH, but doesnt photoshopping then make it not real? See this is where I jist dinna know, although I have done it on photos of myself but then there is a reason :)

Does it matter if its real or not?Its not like its a scientific document,its just a photo of a landscape.As i have said before,artists paint a picture in whatever style they choose so why cant a photographer be allowed to do the same,it is just an interpretation of a scene,even in the days of film,image manipulation went on a lot more than ppl think.

They way i look at it is,its your photo and you can do whatever you like with it,i do with mine and i dont give a stuff about the anti photoshop brigade, and if we all did our photos "as is" wouldn't it be really boring looking at the same pictures done in the same style over and over again.We all like different things,a good example is of a photo i posted on here not too long ago,130 views and not one comment yet the same photo on another forum had 145 views and 35 comments,so was it a good or bad photo?Orgers didnt like it or me or both but Flickr members did.
Maybe i should take the hint.;)

munron
12-Jan-10, 09:48
Your right you should do what you want with your photos, I just lack the techie knowledge to do something like that an yet maintain what I wanted to achieve with the picture.

The photos on here from yourself and others are fantastic

North Light
12-Jan-10, 19:19
munron,

Particularly like the third photo.

re. Photoshoping, I'm with mph here, but I will add to mph's comments.

Define what is a "real" photograph. All digital cameras produce an image, the data is converted into a photograph either by a computer in the camera, or in the case of RAW images in a computer outside the camera, the resulting images are not an exact reproduction of what we saw with our eyes in terms of colour, contrast etc.
Exactly the same arguments can be used for film, the resulting image depends on how the film reacts to light and colours, and for print film an additional variable is the paper and printing.

There are techniques to allow you to replicate the colours, contrast and brightness, these involve using colour charts in one of the images, this will allow the image to be adjusted to remove colour casts, set the colour temperature correctly, adjust the black point, the white point etc........
..... oh, this involves photoshoping!....... and then perhaps we need to take into account that we don't all see colours in the same way!!

For the majority of us the joy of photography is to be able to produce what we want whithout getting hung up on what is real or not, if other people like what we do, great, if thet don't, does that take our on personal enjoyment away? No.

Keep the photos coming.

jean
12-Jan-10, 19:39
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/workingcockerspaniels/IMG_1038.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/workingcockerspaniels/lairg.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/workingcockerspaniels/IMG_1024.jpg

jean
12-Jan-10, 19:43
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/workingcockerspaniels/P1000180.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/workingcockerspaniels/P1000196.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/workingcockerspaniels/P1000147.jpg

munron
12-Jan-10, 20:33
munron,

Particularly like the third photo.

re. Photoshoping, I'm with mph here, but I will add to mph's comments.

Define what is a "real" photograph. All digital cameras produce an image, the data is converted into a photograph either by a computer in the camera, or in the case of RAW images in a computer outside the camera, the resulting images are not an exact reproduction of what we saw with our eyes in terms of colour, contrast etc.
Exactly the same arguments can be used for film, the resulting image depends on how the film reacts to light and colours, and for print film an additional variable is the paper and printing.

There are techniques to allow you to replicate the colours, contrast and brightness, these involve using colour charts in one of the images, this will allow the image to be adjusted to remove colour casts, set the colour temperature correctly, adjust the black point, the white point etc........
..... oh, this involves photoshoping!....... and then perhaps we need to take into account that we don't all see colours in the same way!!

For the majority of us the joy of photography is to be able to produce what we want whithout getting hung up on what is real or not, if other people like what we do, great, if thet don't, does that take our on personal enjoyment away? No.

Keep the photos coming.

Thanks for your comments re the photo. But hecky guys I didnt mean anything at all by my "real" comment apart from I want to see on my camera what I have seen outside. I have no hang ups at all with what people do with their photos, I dont even have photoshop and therefore I cannot comment on its benefits or not. I have the very basic Corel package which allows me to cut - it is so basic that scissors would be more beneficial.

So please please dont think I was hopping on any bandwagon as I am too clueless to know anything, my question was genuine and innocent and I have to say I have not been the latter for a very long time :)

Jean your photos are lovely, thanks.

Mystical Potato Head
12-Jan-10, 20:56
No worries munron,never thought you were jumping on any bandwagon for a second.

Its a topic of many a debate/argument and there is no correct answer,everything depends entirely on your personal taste.Enjoying what you do is more important than anything else,as NL touched upon.

munron
12-Jan-10, 21:13
BUT....what you guys could tell me is does it matter what camera you have? I have an Olympus and apart from being waterproof and 7.1 mps I dont think that it does much else, its about 4 years old.

As mentioned I wanted a good camera from santa but will a really good camera help me take better / clearer / crisper photos?

North Light
13-Jan-10, 00:49
munron,

Sorry, I obviously did not express myself properly, do not get hung up about photoshop or not, also very importantly do not fall into the trap of the equipment thing.
Some of my personal favourites from last year were taken on a compact camera.
You have caught some images that give you a real feeling of the weather over the last few weeks, for me your third photograph captures the subtle colours of winter.

So more photographs please, and remember the more you take, the better you get!