PDA

View Full Version : School playgrounds

Scarybiscuits03
10-Jan-10, 16:26
Does anyone know if they have managed to clear the primary school playgrounds from ice? Particularly mount Pleasant in Thurso?

upolian
10-Jan-10, 16:27
currently cleaning the 1 in watten and making a good job,not sure about anywhere else

saba
10-Jan-10, 16:39
It's the state of the pavements getting to the schools that I am most worried about. Everyone is walking on the roads at the moment which is understandable but the kids cannot be expected to do this tomorrow.

ShelleyCowie
10-Jan-10, 16:50
It's the state of the pavements getting to the schools that I am most worried about. Everyone is walking on the roads at the moment which is understandable but the kids cannot be expected to do this tomorrow.

The same thing worries me. Even the roads in my area are massive blocks of ice. Took me 30 minutes to get to my local shop yesterday which usually takes 5 minutes.

I dont think i will be walking the kids in that to be honest, if i can barely walk on it then how can i expect them to do it? :confused

chaz
10-Jan-10, 16:51
Our road and side road are awful, not too happy about leaving house early in the dark to try to get first lot to high school bus, then home with little one in car.Then back out to get little one to school!!We still struggle to get out,not melting at all just refreezing and like a skating rink.

Ash
10-Jan-10, 17:01
i know that all schools in thurso yesterday were cleared and gritted and country schools were getting done today, my dad was one who was doing it, but like others have said the paths havent been gritted they havent been told to do them jst the schools and i fell yesterday on one of the paths that goes to mount pleasant, shoulder and arm is in agony

Lady In Bed
10-Jan-10, 17:03
Grit was put down around school on Saturday with limited effect.
Tec services were back today removing ice from the access ramp to school. Heating in the school is on so it looks hopefull.

Venture
10-Jan-10, 17:21
http://www.schoolclosures.highlandschools.org.uk/
As can be seen by the link above, many schools throughout the region are experiencing the same problems. Quite a few schools remaining closed because of health and safety issues re playgrounds and surrounding areas etc. Granted these particular school areas have had a lot more snow than we have had but that dosen't get away from the fact that it is ice that is the problem and unfortunatley we are left with an abundance of it with no hope of it shifting any time soon. It's all very well HRC organising contractors clearing inside the school area but what use is that if the children aren't able to get to school because of similar conditions on the pavements etc. If as a parent you have any concerns about your child's safety, you should contact the head teacher. Tomorrow should be interesting.;)

matelot79
10-Jan-10, 18:15
Does anyone know if they have managed to clear the primary school playgrounds from ice? Particularly mount Pleasant in Thurso?

Council workers were leaving there at half one this afternoon

Ash
10-Jan-10, 18:30
Council workers were leaving there at half one this afternoon

spoke to my dad, they gritted and cleared the steps and the ramp, and gritted the playground and removed what they could, but he says its just going to freeze over, if the schools are open 2moro im taking my daughter right into the school and surely they will have to stay in at playtime and lunch

Katy
10-Jan-10, 18:31
Maybe i'm being a bit stupid here but what happens with all the ice that will appear tonight?!

Many a morning before all this hard frost the playground at Miller was pretty bad and my wee girl fell at the top of the steps one day.

Our road at Hill of Forss is terrible with just soild ice and don't like the thought of taking the girls in the car when its like this.

Kxx

blackcat
10-Jan-10, 19:56
Has Pennyland Primary been done?