PDA

View Full Version : Cant get warm.

cuddlepop
10-Jan-10, 15:57
With this bitting easterly wind it feels even colder than it did yesterday.

I have on a long sleeved tshirt,vest top over it,polo neck,cardigan and now my body warmer and two pair of socks in the house.....jeans too.:lol:

Storage heater is on in living room but its still cold.Sun is shining outside and some of the snow has thawed.My daughters back bedroom is warmer than thew living room because the sun is shining through both her windows.

Its ok for the government to tell us to put the heating on and worry about the bills later but when your already on a card meter there's only so much of your money you can put in it and £40 for us is our maximum.:(

changilass
10-Jan-10, 16:03
Have a grt beeg bowl of porridge and warm yoursen from the inside oot.

ShelleyCowie
10-Jan-10, 16:15
Our livingroom takes until the late afternoon to warm up. The rest of the house is always cold, but today im not finding it too cold but thats cos i have hardly sat on ma bum.

Usually at night instead of putting the gas fire on i will get a blanket and wrap it around me. i dont see the point in wasting gas if its just me in the livin room.

cuddlepop
10-Jan-10, 16:19
Have a grt beeg bowl of porridge and warm yoursen from the inside oot.

Just made myself a cup of soup so my tummy is now warm but my feet are freezing.:(

At night the dog will be cuddled up beside me on the sofa with the blanket round both of us and a hot water bottle at my feet.:)

tonkatojo
10-Jan-10, 16:25
I don't know, these younger generations are getting are getting softer. you's should have seen the conditions we collected wilks ( winkles ) carrying 4stn bags up from the shore through 9" of snow. :(
If your cold go out for 10 mins then come indoors and feel the difference.

cuddlepop
10-Jan-10, 16:28
I don't know, these younger generations are getting are getting softer. you's should have seen the conditions we collected wilks ( winkles ) carrying 4stn bags up from the shore through 9" of snow. :(
If your cold go out for 10 mins then come indoors and feel the difference.

I grew up in the 60's in a tenament in Glasgow with lino on the floor and one heater in the living room.
We use to joke it was warmer outside.

I'm getting soft in my old age,thats what it is.:lol:

tonkatojo
10-Jan-10, 16:40
I grew up in the 60's in a tenament in Glasgow with lino on the floor and one heater in the living room.
We use to joke it was warmer outside.

I'm getting soft in my old age,thats what it is.:lol:

Lino and a heater!!, we had bare boards and half a candle between 6 of us LOL.;)

Ricco
10-Jan-10, 17:11
With this bitting easterly wind it feels even colder than it did yesterday.

I have on a long sleeved tshirt,vest top over it,polo neck,cardigan and now my body warmer and two pair of socks in the house.....jeans too.:lol:

Storage heater is on in living room but its still cold.Sun is shining outside and some of the snow has thawed.My daughters back bedroom is warmer than thew living room because the sun is shining through both her windows.

Its ok for the government to tell us to put the heating on and worry about the bills later but when your already on a card meter there's only so much of your money you can put in it and £40 for us is our maximum.:(

I am sitting in a T and jeans in the conservatory with one small oil heater going. Feel quite warm - but then, I rarely feel the cold. Don't wear jeans if you are cold - you need some tracksuit bottoms or something. I would say that you may have too many layers and are simply getting clammy inside.

Kevin Milkins
10-Jan-10, 17:38
Lino and a heater!!, we had bare boards and half a candle between 6 of us LOL.;)

I can feel a bit of Monty Python coming on.:lol:

Scene Script:

Joe: Imagine us, sitting in the fanciest pub in England, drinking our Chateau de Chauclea wine.

Jen: Right you are, 30 years ago we would have been lucky to have had a cup of tea.

Joe: Cold tea.

Jen: Yes, without sugar or milk.

Joe: Or tea.

Jen: In a cracked and filthy cup.

Joe: We used to be so poor that we would drink tea out of a rolled-up newspaper.

Jen: You were lucky to have a newspaper, we used to have to suck our tea out of a damp cloth.

Joe: We were poor but we were happy.

Jen: We were happy because we were poor.

Joe: Right you are, my daddy said that dollars would never buy happiness.

Jen: That’s because he never had any money, the bloody beggar.

Joe: When I was young we used to live in a house with big holes in the roof.

Jen: You had a house? You were lucky! We used to live in a bottle cap, 23 of us in the middle of the ocean.

Joe: Well, I say it was a house, actually it was a room — all 36 of us, and we had only half a floor. We had a big hole in the middle of the floor and we used to huddle next to the wall for fear we would fall in.

Jen: You were lucky! We used to live in a hallway.

Joe: Well, you were lucky! We used to live in an abandoned septic tank in the middle of the garbage dump.

Jen: You lived in a septic tank? You were lucky! We lived in a paper sack in the bottom of a toxic waste dump. Every morning we would awaken to nuclear waste being dumped on us until we glowed.

Joe: Actually, the house I was telling you about was no more than a hole in the ground, covered with twigs.

Jen: Well, you were lucky! We were evicted from our hole. We had to live in the bottom of the lake.

Joe: You were lucky to live in the bottom of a lake. There were 150 of us living in a shoe box in the middle of a road. We dreamed of living in a lake.

Jen: You were lucky to live in a shoe box. We lived in a brown paper bag. All 300 of us! Got up at 6 a.m., ate a crust of stale bread, and worked in the mills for 12 hours. When we got home Dad would beat us and put us to bed with no dinner.

Joe: Well you were lucky! We used to get up at 3 a.m., strain the lake clean with our teeth, eat a cup of hot gravel, work 15 hours at the mill and when we got home our Dad would beat us about the head and shoulders with a broken beer bottle and use us for kitty litter.

Jen: We dreamed of that! We used to live in a rusty tin can in the middle of the road. One hour after sunset we would clean the road with our tongues, eat a handful of cold gravel and work 20 hours at the mill with no pay! When we got home our Dad would cut us up with a dull Gensu knife and use us for cheese fondue.

Joe: Well, you were lucky! That was luxury. We used to get up in the morning at 10 at night — which was half an hour before we went to bed - eat a hunk of dry poison — work 29 hours a day at the mill and when we got home our parents would kill us and dance around our grave singing "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah."

Jen: But you tell that to the kids today and they simply don’t believe you.
Based On An Old Classic Monty Python Sketch

Fran
10-Jan-10, 17:42
Halogen heaters are very good, cheap to run, very bright and a good heat. Thankfully i have gas, nice and cosy, and use the halogen heater when i get home from working.
Cuddlepop, heres a big hug from me to warm you up....and if all the orgers send you a hug you will soon be warm x

shazzap
10-Jan-10, 17:46
I think it has been milder over the last couple of days.
But i sympathise with all of you with storage heaters as IMO they are rubbish.

EDDIE
10-Jan-10, 18:03
Well at the moment my radiotors are hot but the room is cold im using a convector heater it fairly throws the heat out quickly and thats making the room warm

cuddlepop
10-Jan-10, 18:18
I am sitting in a T and jeans in the conservatory with one small oil heater going. Feel quite warm - but then, I rarely feel the cold. Don't wear jeans if you are cold - you need some tracksuit bottoms or something. I would say that you may have too many layers and are simply getting clammy inside.

My legs are the only part of me thats warm must be the extra layer of fat there.:lol:

Not an once of "clammy" on me just cold to the touch.
Warmer outside when I was walking the dogs but even they dont want back out the winds so biting cold.:eek:

Sandra_B
10-Jan-10, 18:45
This is my first year dealing with storage heaters and I think they're rubbish! The kitchen is so cold the bottle of olive oil sitting on the counter is solidifying.

shazzap
10-Jan-10, 19:10
This is my first year dealing with storage heaters and I think they're rubbish! The kitchen is so cold the bottle of olive oil sitting on the counter is solidifying.

It seems a lot of the homes up here have storage heating.

ShelleyCowie
10-Jan-10, 19:46
It seems a lot of the homes up here have storage heating.

sadly yes. Im consider myself very lucky to have gas central heating. But my sister has storage heaters and they cost a fortune to have on. They are not even that warm either :confused

shazzap
10-Jan-10, 19:53
sadly yes. Im consider myself very lucky to have gas central heating. But my sister has storage heaters and they cost a fortune to have on. They are not even that warm either :confused

Yes i have gas, but saying that you cannot beat solid fuel/ radiators for the heat it gives off. The only thing with that is making it.

roadbowler
10-Jan-10, 19:54
i agree. Storage heaters are terrible had them in my last place. Just have wood burning stove now tho and my hoose is roastin!

tonkatojo
10-Jan-10, 19:56
Yes i have gas, but saying that you cannot beat solid fuel/ radiators for the heat it gives off. The only thing with that is making it.

Got to agree with the solid fuel bit, we have a rayburn and the whole house is like toast, no problems with the making of it as well, the wife does it LOL.;)

shazzap
10-Jan-10, 19:59
i agree. Storage heaters are terrible had them in my last place. Just have wood burning stove now tho and my hoose is roastin!

We had a multifuel stove on the last boat we had and a diesel on the other. ( Going off thread ):roll:

But i know what you mean they are warm, although i can't imagine them heating a big house with an upstairs on their own without radiators.

Liz
10-Jan-10, 20:02
I really can't understand why so many people are saying storage heaters are rubbish?

We got them installed earlier this year and the house is so lovely and toasty during this really cold spell and costing about £33 a week which is much cheaper than coal would have been.Also the house used to get really cold during the night which isn't the case now as house warm all the time.

We have cavity wall insulation, new doors and windows, and increased our loft insulation as well so maybe this has made the difference?

tonkatojo
10-Jan-10, 20:02
We burn 2 bags of anthracite a week which is £15.50 a bag in the rayburn, all the house is roasting 24/7 with hot water as well, in fact we have to run some off at times. The washing is bone dry over night from the clothes horse with no condensation whatsoever.
Not bragging this is true.

shazzap
10-Jan-10, 20:08
Got to agree with the solid fuel bit, we have a rayburn and the whole house is like toast, no problems with the making of it as well, the wife does it LOL.;)

Tonkatojo, your not an MCP are you? :roll:;)

tonkatojo
10-Jan-10, 20:10
Tonkatojo, your not an MCP are you? :roll:;)

"MCP", I am no good at decyphering these abreviations, help me out please.

Liz
10-Jan-10, 20:12
Sorry you can't get warmed up Cuddlepop.:(

You should get yourself a Slanket (there are other names). It is basically a blanket with sleeves and is lovely and toasty.

tonkatojo
10-Jan-10, 20:12
Tonkatojo, your not an MCP are you? l:;)

forget the last post, got it LOL.
NO I am not just disabled. :(

Cheeky one. ;)

Caithness Lass
10-Jan-10, 20:13
I find the best way to heat up my house is to light the fire. Makes the whole house warmer too :):)

roadbowler
10-Jan-10, 20:19
shazzap. Yea, i dunno about a big hoose but, mine is wee and we roast in here. Good insulation tho must be because we haven't been burning anymore wood than before the cold snap. I also prefer the dry heat of wood heat and cheap too!

shazzap
10-Jan-10, 20:20
forget the last post, got it LOL.
NO I am not just disabled. :(

Cheeky one. ;)

After the Tintgel fiasco, i now don't know when your jesting with me or not.

Sorry if i caused offence.

shazzap
10-Jan-10, 20:22
shazzap. Yea, i dunno about a big hoose but, mine is wee and we roast in here. Good insulation tho must be because we haven't been burning anymore wood than before the cold snap. I also prefer the dry heat of wood heat and cheap too!

Is wood cheap?
How much do you use on a cold day, and how much does it cost.
Just curious.:)

tonkatojo
10-Jan-10, 20:26
After the Tintgel fiasco, i now don't know when your jesting with me or not.

Sorry if i caused offence.

It takes more than that to offend me, sticks n stones and all that LOL.
A good "beaver" fur coat is good an all.;)

shazzap
10-Jan-10, 20:29
It takes more than that to offend me, sticks n stones and all that LOL.
A good "beaver" fur coat is good an all.;)

LOL[lol][lol]

Caithness Lass
10-Jan-10, 20:34
Is wood cheap?
How much do you use on a cold day, and how much does it cost.
Just curious.:)

We got wood from the dunnet forest log sale last year. Cant remember how much it was but we bought 4 bags and we've just opened the fourth one. Go down to the sale this Saturday (16th) and check it out

changilass
10-Jan-10, 20:36
Sorry you can't get warmed up Cuddlepop.:(

You should get yourself a Slanket (there are other names). It is basically a blanket with sleeves and is lovely and toasty.

Mum got one of yon slanket thingies for christmas from my wee sis.

She looks like cadfell wondering round the house, hubby thinks she looks like a hobbit, but she aint got hairy feet so will stick with Cadfell lol.

She says it is toastie warm.

poppett
10-Jan-10, 20:43
I have a fleecy blanket for when it is really cold, and it goes into the duvet cover at night too.

Have seen folk make them into poncho style garments as well.

Warm up soon CP

_Ju_
10-Jan-10, 20:45

And when it got really cold, you lit the candle!;)

cuddlepop
10-Jan-10, 20:48
Lovely and warm now as the oven been on most of the afternoon cooking dinner and storage heaters now warming the place nicely.
Darent venture upsairs as the only heating we have is wee electic fires in the bedrooms.

Storage heaters work but not in an upstairs house.Our bungalow was too warm at times.

Would love to open the fire again and get a wood burning stove but its not my house.:(

That slanket thing sounds a good idea,as long as the dogs didnt think it is a coat and it s walkies time.:lol:

shazzap
10-Jan-10, 20:50
Lovely and warm now as the oven been on most of the afternoon cooking dinner and storage heaters now warming the place nicely.
Darent venture upsairs as the only heating we have is wee electic fires in the bedrooms.

Storage heaters work but not in an upstairs house.Our bungalow was too warm at times.

Would love to open the fire again and get a wood burning stove but its not my house.:(

That slanket thing sounds a good idea,as long as the dogs didnt think it is a coat and it s walkies time.:lol:

I feel for you. No heating upstairs.

tonkatojo
10-Jan-10, 20:51
And when it got really cold, you lit the candle!;)

Did you live in the same street ?? LOL.;)

cuddlepop
10-Jan-10, 20:56
[quote=tonkatojo;643145]Did you live in the same street ?? LOL.;)

I'm sure he means the "close" light candle.;)

tonkatojo
10-Jan-10, 20:59
[quote=tonkatojo;643145]Did you live in the same street ?? LOL.;)

I'm sure he means the candle that was nicked from the close that gave the light.;)

Nicked !!, nowt was nicked in those days, in fact we never locked our doors. We only had half a candle because we gave next door the other half. ;)

cuddlepop
10-Jan-10, 21:00
[quote=cuddlepop;643149]

Nicked !!, nowt was nicked in those days, in fact we never locked our doors. We only had half a candle because we gave next door the other half. ;)

Oh I forgot, everything was borrowed to be returned at a later date no less.;)

tonkatojo
10-Jan-10, 21:02
[quote=tonkatojo;643153]

Oh I forgot, everything was borrowed to be returned at a later date no less.;)

Nah, your on aboot Glasgow, I'm on about "Canny Tyneside" LOL.;)

roadbowler
10-Jan-10, 23:07
well, you could do wood for as cheap as 50 quid a year plus a bit of fuel if u get a 3 month permit from the forestry which we've done previously. Howevrr, this year have been frquenting the dunnet log sale. It's ace. £35 worth of the rings will do me four weeks at least in the coldest months plus a fiver in fuel to dunnet and back works out at a tenner a week. Hardly any work compared to the forest route. Get it home chopped and stacked in 3-4 hours whereas the forestry stuff you have to saw up and isn't near the quality out of dunnet.

Vistravi
10-Jan-10, 23:18
When i walk to work my feet through a pair of trainer socks, other longer socks and then thick fluffy socks are likes blocks. I have bad circualtion in my feet so i blame it on that. The cold just makes it worse.

But the rest of me is nice a toasty as i have a top, my work tshirt, a cardigan thing, my scarf and my jacket. I also wear leggings under my work trousers. I'm just glad i won't be huge in the winter as i don't know how much more use i'll get out of my waterproof jacket with all that on!

I suppose it is a good thing our flat is so small as it doesn't take much to warm it up. We still wear jumpers though as like yourself we can't afford to keep putting money into the meter and then using it in a matter of days on just heating.

Venture
11-Jan-10, 00:30

Here's what a slanket looks like cuddlepop. OK for curling up on the sofa but kind of hard to walk around with or do the housework in.:lol:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/slankets/index.html

Liz
11-Jan-10, 00:42
You can get them cheaper here Cuddlepop but you can get them by other names.http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?LH_LocatedIn=1&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=3&_nkw=slanket&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_salic=3

I am sure that Tesco sell them as well.

Yes as Venture said not for moving around in!:eek:

For me the two best warmer uppers are a lovely hot bath and a hot water bottle. Not at the same time though!:lol:

ShelleyCowie
11-Jan-10, 00:44
You can get them cheaper here Cuddlepop but you can get them by other names.http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?LH_LocatedIn=1&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=3&_nkw=slanket&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_salic=3

I am sure that Tesco sell them as well.

Yes as Venture said not for moving around in!:eek:

For me the two best warmer uppers are a lovely hot bath and a hot water bottle. Not at the same time though!:lol:

Oooh hot water bottles are good cos my hands always get really cold. But they always seem to go missing after i have filled one :roll:

Vistravi
11-Jan-10, 01:10
Oooh hot water bottles are good cos my hands always get really cold. But they always seem to go missing after i have filled one :roll:

Who's the culpurt? the big bairn or the small bairns? lol ;)

ShelleyCowie
11-Jan-10, 09:37
Who's the culpurt? the big bairn or the small bairns? lol ;)

All o them! :eek: Hence why i dont bother anymore, cos i dont get it for long! :lol:

cuddlepop
11-Jan-10, 10:27
All o them! :eek: Hence why i dont bother anymore, cos i dont get it for long! :lol:

get yourself a big fluffy pink one dont think OH will pinch that one.;)

Still cold today so going for a bath,college back on so if the house to myself....bliss.

Mother Bear
11-Jan-10, 22:23
I find that wearing a scarf indoors, as well as the usual layers to keep warm, works really well.........even a wooly hat too! You lose a lot of body heat through your head! Those 'welly socks' are good at keeping feet warm too...think I got mine at CLB in Thurso......you don't have to wear them only with wellies.

BINBOB
12-Jan-10, 05:40
I have to say that I am very lucky in that I can keep my heating on at all times if need be.............have even kept it on low during the night recently.This is very first night for 2 weeks it is off at night...bit milder.My dogs do have coats for bedtime from OCTOBER onwards,except my basset.........she has a pink fleeecy blanket.I know spolied doggies,but that is the way I like it.

I aso keep my overnight electric blanket on during the night.I am sorry that people are cold...........:(

_Ju_
12-Jan-10, 09:44
Binbob, I don't know if it is an urban legend or not, but since I was small it was always grafically impressed on me never to fall asleep with the electric blanket on. Electrocution wasn't what scared me most, from the stories my parents told, but the being slow roasted one terrified me. So much that I loo at all electric blankets with mistrust and stillrefuse to use them.....

I must try to find out if it is urban legend...

ShelleyCowie
12-Jan-10, 10:03
Binbob, I don't know if it is an urban legend or not, but since I was small it was always grafically impressed on me never to fall asleep with the electric blanket on. Electrocution wasn't what scared me most, from the stories my parents told, but the being slow roasted one terrified me. So much that I loo at all electric blankets with mistrust and stillrefuse to use them.....

Most modern electric blankets are alot safer than they used to be. The overblanket that i have is awsome! you can click it on to come on for 1 hour, 3 hours or 12 hours. You can also set it so that it comes on in 3 hours time (say 7pm for bed at 10pm)

If you set the electric blanket on for the 12 hours it will stay on at a very low heat. And for the 1 or 3 hour setting the electric blanket switches off automatically.

BINBOB
12-Jan-10, 11:08

Thanks ,Ju ,but my electric blanket is an ALL NIGHT ONE......have used one for years ,without issues.I know what u mean ,though........have known a friends one that went on fire,many years ago.Thankfully,no one suffered.

I think technology has come on a bit since then and I buy a NEW blanket every 2 years.I would not be without one.Thank u for ur concern though.;)

BINBOB
12-Jan-10, 11:10
Most modern electric blankets are alot safer than they used to be. The overblanket that i have is awsome! you can click it on to come on for 1 hour, 3 hours or 12 hours. You can also set it so that it comes on in 3 hours time (say 7pm for bed at 10pm)

If you set the electric blanket on for the 12 hours it will stay on at a very low heat. And for the 1 or 3 hour setting the electric blanket switches off automatically.

That is great....and like mine,but I have an underblanket...would NEVER leave the house with it on .;)

ShelleyCowie
12-Jan-10, 11:20
That is great....and like mine,but I have an underblanket...would NEVER leave the house with it on .;)

Im wanting to switch to an underblanket, my OH is allergic to the material of our electric blanket so it only goes on just before bed to warm it up, or when he is on night shift i wrap it around me the whole night :lol:

BINBOB
12-Jan-10, 11:40
Im wanting to switch to an underblanket, my OH is allergic to the material of our electric blanket so it only goes on just before bed to warm it up, or when he is on night shift i wrap it around me the whole night :lol:

Could not live without it Shelley..........:)

Angela
12-Jan-10, 12:22
Could not live without it Shelley..........:)

I agree with you there, Binbob. I bought my first ever electric blanket last year and I couldn't be without one now. It's an under blanket you can leave on overnight. :)

My flat has big rooms with high ceilings and is quite impossible to keep warm in sub zero temperatures, even with the heating on at full blast, so on the coldest days I've just retired to bed for a wee while and felt instantly warmed up...utter bliss! :D