PDA

View Full Version : gritters

slinky
09-Jan-10, 17:09
just curious as to why when they say they cant get every road which i understand but a young gritter driver has passed my window on my street 5 times in the space of 15 min :roll: but no grit or salt coming out mmm puzzled

wickscorrie
09-Jan-10, 17:13
they do a good job in this weather
a round of applause from me to all the drivers

slinky
09-Jan-10, 17:17
im asking a question not praising them ,there job to do i guess,

Kirdon
09-Jan-10, 17:34
just curious as to why when they say they cant get every road which i understand but a young gritter driver has passed my window on my street 5 times in the space of 15 min :roll: but no grit or salt coming out mmm puzzled

Probably passing to grit other streets or looking for ones that are impassable so he can clear them, yours is passable, hence no need to use valuable grit. Well done to all gritter drivers in my opinion.

changilass
09-Jan-10, 17:35
Slinky why not phone the service point and ask, you will probably get an official answer instead of speculation on here.

riggerboy
09-Jan-10, 20:23
maybe hes looking for his teeth, ????

weeksider
09-Jan-10, 22:39
Why send out some council staff to rural schools to clear/ice snow from when the streets/lanes in town are unwalkable and need cleaned so people can get out to shops /chemists/doctors /butchers and bookies in town

DIH
09-Jan-10, 23:24
Why send out some council staff to rural schools to clear/ice snow from when the streets/lanes in town are unwalkable and need cleaned so people can get out to shops /chemists/doctors /butchers and bookies in town

I didn't realise gritting the pavements to get to the bookies was a priority.

flowertot
09-Jan-10, 23:30

you telling me you'd rather see the streets gritted so you can get to the bookies afore the kids get to school! Take a look at yourself!!

Kevin Milkins
09-Jan-10, 23:32

That's a bit of a racist remark isn't it.:eek::lol:

BillyEspie
09-Jan-10, 23:35
Hey EVERYONE!!!! i think you's need your eyes testing for applauding the Gritters when they are totally useless, the Canisbay to Lyth road is absolutely tretcherous cause someone doesn't know how to use a snow pough properly, there is more ice on the road and this is a ***WARNING*** to EVERYONE, to becareful on the road as if anyone wants to prove me wrong then go ahead but then road is that bad that there is tracks up the road but believe me they are disgraceful for any council workers to let get in that state over this frozen period no DEFINATELY ****NO**** applaud from me!!!!!!

tonkatojo
09-Jan-10, 23:39
Hey EVERYONE!!!! i think you's need your eyes testing for applauding the Gritters when they are totally useless, the Canisbay to Lyth road is absolutely tretcherous cause someone doesn't know how to use a snow pough properly, there is more ice on the road and this is a ***WARNING*** to EVERYONE, to becareful on the road as if anyone wants to prove me wrong then go ahead but then road is that bad that there is tracks up the road but believe me they are disgraceful for any council workers to let get in that state over this frozen period no DEFINATELY ****NO**** applaud from me!!!!!!

Billy, they dropped sandy grit on the road late this afternoon, the first I have seen, mind I don't know how far they went LOL.

NLP
09-Jan-10, 23:44

It will be for some, busy busy places.

Well done to the men who do the gritting they work long hours

BillyEspie
09-Jan-10, 23:45
HA HA HA i saw that too when i took the digger out today to the lane and it wouldn't even break the ice down the lane so anyone coming to visit will have to be very very careful as it's like a massive sheet of glass on our lane and the digger doesnt even hardly mark it

tonkatojo
09-Jan-10, 23:52
HA HA HA i saw that too when i took the digger out today to the lane and it wouldn't even break the ice down the lane so anyone coming to visit will have to be very very careful as it's like a massive sheet of glass on our lane and the digger doesnt even hardly mark it

I think they must have had a bit left over from doing that bus drivers place further down from you LOL, and used it up sparsely.
I thought PSV operators licences didn't allow buses to be taken home, they had to be parked in depot's or designated places, off road.

Stack Rock
10-Jan-10, 00:50

I don't think salt is very effective on icy roads. Also a plough can clear snow but not ice. Perhaps a bulldozer is required - but the road surface would be wrecked !!!
Overall, the gritters are doing a good job in exceptional conditions.

american gal
10-Jan-10, 01:02
oh if only we could change the weather ehehhh[lol]

Rheghead
10-Jan-10, 02:19
I once read something about gritting roads with salt that was interesting in the Newscientist. The article claimed that mixing salt with snow could actually prolong the slush on the roads in the event of a thaw depending on the conditions. If no salt had been put down then melting in the event of a thaw would be faster.

2little2late
10-Jan-10, 02:26
Let's hope lessons can be learned from this winter. Maybe at the end of this financial year instead of wasting the remaining budget on trying to bodge road repairs by pouring tar into potholes and then scattering chippings onto the runny tar, why don't they buy more road salt for the following year. This way there should be plenty salt for next time.

Rheghead
10-Jan-10, 02:39
I wonder if salting roads can break down the integrity of the tarmac?

Bazeye
10-Jan-10, 04:28
If the road is too dangerous for the gritters to handle why dont they go in reverse. You know it makes sense.

taffy
10-Jan-10, 13:04
We must remember the men that drive the gritters also have to travel to work in these treacherous conditions some of them over 26 miles. At 5 in the morning this is dangerous. So I thank them for the hard work they are doing and thank them for making our school grounds safe for our children whose safety should always be a priority.:roll:

DIH
10-Jan-10, 13:31
My partner drives a council gritter lorry and I've seen how hard he's worked this winter. He's up at 5am, out in the gritter at 6am and is often not home till after 6 at night. He worked Christmas day and New Years day as well to try and keep the main roads clear. I know this is his job but its unfair to keep on blaming them for the state of the roads. I would start with the council as its them that keeps on cutting the number of gritters out on the roads. If we had more gritters and men to work them, I'm sure the roads would be a lot better. The men are only permitted to drive for a certain number of hours in a day due to tachographs in the lorries.

The main priority for the men is to try and keep the main roads open and its been pretty difficult. They have had to keep on regritting the same roads over and over because of the low temperatures and that means the side roads have been neglected. My own road and paths are like a bottle as well so I don't even get perks.

In response to Bazeye, the gritters do reverse down certain roads so they can drive on the grit themselves but would he like reversing down a road covered with so much ice/snow that your looking for any signs of where the road actually is? I'm thinking of one road in particular that my partner helps clear and its a sheer drop down if you misjudge it. The roads are sometimes so bad that the men have to stop and hand grit it before they can actually drive any further.

My partner grits/plows round the coast and when they go up there which they do daily they have to have a two man crew in case they get into any difficulties. They also have to carry survival kits in case they run into problems.

I think in the scheme of things they do a wonderful job. They can't be everywhere at once and I think people should start realising that. Get onto your councillers who actually cut the amount of gritters in use a few years ago and start complaining to them. If more people do then maybe they'll put their hands in their pockets and buy a few more and hire some more men to work them.

Alice in Blunderland
10-Jan-10, 14:09
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs138.snc3/18552_280005173221_748518221_4619996_461002_n.jpg

Keep up the good work!

horseman
10-Jan-10, 14:24
Obvious first time conclusion-young gritter driver has his eye on your young daughter.;)

balto
10-Jan-10, 14:27
the hard time the council workers are getting is terriable, they seem to be working round the clock but theat oesnt seem enough for some people, whats stopping fit and able people going out and clearing the paths near their own houses and for elderly neighbours, instead of critisizing, mayby they should help out.

Rheghead
10-Jan-10, 14:43
Is there any truth to what I've heard that Highland Council are giving away their/our grit to Glasgow and other areas even in England because they've run out of it? :confused

Kirdon
10-Jan-10, 15:09

If the digger can't mark it what do you expect a gritter to do? Once again well done to gritter drivers for going out in weather when we all stay in our houses.

Venture
10-Jan-10, 15:15
Is there any truth to what I've heard that Highland Council are giving away their/our grit to Glasgow and other areas even in England because they've run out of it? :confused
Yes you are right Rheghead.
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2010/January/2010-01-07-03.htm

Mopsy8385
10-Jan-10, 15:39
Only problem with the council is that they seem quite happy to hire assistants for those who are too lazy to actually work and hiring people for office work rather than put the money to good use eg buying more grit!!!

Rheghead
10-Jan-10, 15:42
Only problem with the council is that they seem quite happy to hire assistants for those who are too lazy to actually work and hiring people for office work rather than put the money to good use eg buying more grit!!!

just follow the link

The Council is expecting a fresh supply of salt from our suppliers in Northern Ireland. A consignment of 3,400 tonnes is expected to arrive at Invergordon Harbour tomorrow (Friday). A further 2,000 tonnes is expected at Inverness on Sunday.

poppett
10-Jan-10, 16:40
I would love to be fit to clear the path and pavement outside our house and those of elderly neighbours. Have spent a fortune on salt/grit for the path and stocks are all run out. Today I can`t get to the gate as melting snow has frozen across the path (on an incline) and it is a solid sheet of ice.

Even the constabulary in appropriate footwear are struggling to stay upright.

My disabled husband has been unable to leave the house since 26th December when he fell on the path.

My plea for a donation of ashes have fallen on deaf ears...........that does work as my late mother used to heave them out over our slide when I was young. In those days there was no snow on the roads, pavements and indeed the gardens as we had snow people built wherever we could. The youth of today don`t want to help the vulnerable elderly neighbours, just make their lives miserable with slides on the paths and throwing snowballs at any window they can.

Fran
10-Jan-10, 17:46
The small gritter did the Henrietta street pavement today, sunday. Well done to all the gritter men going out in all weathers to enable us to get out and about. thankyou.

slinky
10-Jan-10, 21:04
Obvious first time conclusion-young gritter driver has his eye on your young daughter.;)
be quight hard as my daughter lives in newcastle and she only near 10:lol:

bekisman
11-Jan-10, 13:04
On Thursday it was essential we got to Wick Hospital, tried to drive out from here and up the hill - almost made it, but it was a sheet of ice and we ended up in a ditch, the car almost turning completely over, and then the snow started. If it had not been the very kind and helpful Davy and his tractor we'd still be there, he managed to tow us to the Point road; the A836.

Down the hill past the Village Hall and almost up to Strathy North/South junction. No way, sheet of ice. But then again good Samaritans; couple of local lads; one Morag's Son, hitched their 4x4 and up and away we went to get onto the new section Strathy to Melvich. Managed to get to the Hospital, although took us over 2 hours from home to Melvich!. 9 miles? (did not come home till Saturday)

Today just a few minutes ago we had a flat-bed council truck slowly (it's still a sheet of ice) coming down our hill, spreading grit from the back with a shovel, great we thought - then over the hill roars a great big Highland Council spreader! the little truck went as fast as it could to get up by our gate, whilst being chased by the big 'un! (still hectically throwing grit out with the shovel)..
Got to our gate; the big 'un reversed into the open gate (our neighbour was taking the bin up) and spread a little there too, before heading up and away - now ain't that nice? These folks have one hell of an area to cover, but we've nothing but praise, and gratefulness to the locals who helped us so very much; thanks guys!