PDA

View Full Version : Please don't melt the snow!

Kathy@watten
09-Jan-10, 00:34
Oh no tonight the temp is well above freezing, my house is like a sauna and everything is melting outside! I have grown accustomed to the snow and ice and only today was in converstion regarding the seasonal weather for Winter, and we can cope with this as this is what you would expect from our weather. If the snow all melts we will have a mess, the mud will return and I for one will have to take my horses inside so as to protect the ground (they have enjoyed a spell out on the snow) My kids have enjoyed the cold snap and have become good sledgers and have tired themselves out during the winter sunshine between snow flurries, everyone has gone to bed of their own volition by 7pm.....as a mum this can only be a good thing! I like the winter clothes and all the hats and gloves on my heaters and sledges at the back door it is what winter should be. Don't get me wrong I also like Spring to be Spring like, Summer to be Summery and look forward to Autumn and the lovely blustery weather we get. Hasn't the snow added to the Christmas feeling and made the county look all picture postcardy? Everything will look all green when it goes with a green promise of Spring around the corner, just thought I would post a cheery thread tonight.........if the snow has to go can we please roll out Spring?

lorry
09-Jan-10, 00:38
hi kathy
am in florida just now and enjoying some warmer weather than you are.
Ta-ra, see you in a few days!!!! :lol:

Kathy@watten
09-Jan-10, 00:42
Hope Florida is good and warm, be ready for the snow and have your thermals on at the airport it has been a bit chilly, I personally like the snow and dread it's demise.....will have a lot of neddies to cart back in and muck out like the big twit that I am! Don't fancy jet lag and the shiver much....good luck and safe journey home!

Gronnuck
09-Jan-10, 08:29
Snow - what snow? We've never had any here in Scarfskerry! :confused

Stack Rock
09-Jan-10, 09:57
Snow - what snow? We've never had any here in Scarfskerry! :confused

Nothing much in Stacker either - just a dusting. Ice thawing at the moment - a fresh easterly is forcast for the next 5 days at least so we won't get frost on the east coast.

_Ju_
09-Jan-10, 11:56
hi kathy
am in florida just now and enjoying some warmer weather than you are.
Ta-ra, see you in a few days!!!! :lol:

I heard on the radio that it is unusually cold in Southern USA, so much so that Iguanas, who don't usually hibernate, are falling out of trees as they fall asleep......
Maybe it is really cold there, but as you are used to caithness, you are finding it mild?

wickscorrie
09-Jan-10, 17:12
lorry - fancy swapping places ( i love florida)

and i agree what snow, broadhaven only had a dusting definitely not enough for sledge or igloo or snow people :(

teddybear1873
09-Jan-10, 17:27
It's a lovely -2 degrees here in Charleston, South Carolina. It's funny watching people here who is not used with cold weather. They nearly closed all the schools as there was a 40% chance of 2" of snow falling.

over-the-ord
09-Jan-10, 18:53
i love walking in fresh snow and being the only foot prints! hate when it turns icy as now!
great not having to clean 12 mucky legs after being in the mud!

lorry - better get your bother-in-law to come with a digger to dig your house out of the snow and ski would be handy when you get home...[lol] but you can get into the yard. bet your hoping for a closure;) hope you journey home is less eventful

wick and thurso doesnt have half the amount of snow as we have here and we havent seen any greenery since 19th december, apart from trips to wick and thurso when they thawed out, so really getting fed up with it now even the kids are getting bored with the snow

chaz
09-Jan-10, 20:17
i love walking in fresh snow and being the only foot prints! hate when it turns icy as now!
great not having to clean 12 mucky legs after being in the mud!

lorry - better get your bother-in-law to come with a digger to dig your house out of the snow and ski would be handy when you get home...[lol] but you can get into the yard. bet your hoping for a closure;) hope you journey home is less eventful

wick and thurso doesnt have half the amount of snow as we have here and we havent seen any greenery since 19th december, apart from trips to wick and thurso when they thawed out, so really getting fed up with it now even the kids are getting bored with the snow

Like you we havent seen green since then, dreading ponies field and chicken pens when it melts:( My lot have had great fun in the snow but have had enough now.
We have about 8 inches of packed ice /snow and about another 7 softer on top.

upolian
09-Jan-10, 20:22
fingers crossed i wake up with no snow outside!:D

Kodiak
09-Jan-10, 20:25
Please, PLEASE Do Melt the Snow, the sooner the better as I hate the Snow and Ice and find it very difficult to get around as it is without slipping on Ice.

BINBOB
09-Jan-10, 20:28
fingers crossed i wake up with no snow outside!:D

Ditto..........;)

BINBOB
09-Jan-10, 20:29
Please, PLEASE Do Melt the Snow, the sooner the better as I hate the Snow and Ice and find it very difficult to get around as it is without slipping on Ice.

Even bigger DITTO.;)

badger
09-Jan-10, 21:04
I don't have much snow but the thaw yesterday was a disaster as it froze overnight and I'm now living in the middle of an ice rink. Can't believe it. More ice now than there's been for several days. Even the grass is slippery. Why didn't I learn to skate?