PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad I don't live in Switzerland!

joxville
08-Jan-10, 22:58
From MSN News:

A millionaire caught speeding in Switzerland has been hit with a record-breaking £182,000 fine. Judges at the cantonal court in St Gallen arrived at the sum by basing it on his estimated personal wealth of over £16 million. The court said the repeat offender drove up to 35 mph faster than the 50 mph limit. The unidentified driver can still appeal the decision to the Swiss supreme court. The fine was more than twice the previous Swiss record.

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-10, 23:14
Ahh but Jox if you had as much money as this guy seems to have you wouldn't give a toss about this paltry fine....... ;)

You would also I reckon, be living in a nice hot country where the females would be wearing less rather than more.............. :lol:

joxville
08-Jan-10, 23:19
Ahh but Jox if you had as much money as this guy seems to have you wouldn't give a toss about this paltry fine....... ;)

You would also I reckon, be living in a nice hot country where the females would be wearing less rather than more.............. :lol:

1. It's still a heck of a fine, regardless of how much you earn. I suppose it must be means-tested.

2. Very true. They'd have less covering their bodies than I have covering my head. [lol]

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-10, 23:22
1. It's still a heck of a fine, regardless of how much you earn. I suppose it must be means-tested.

2. Very true. They'd have less covering their bodies than I have covering my head. [lol]

1. Loose change to a man of that wealth .

2. Ah but you can buy a wig for your head and they could wear some loose coverings now that would spoil your fun and overheat your head. ;)

redeyedtreefrog
08-Jan-10, 23:24
Fines should be like that, a percentage of your monies. Then fatcats like Fred Goodwin could be charged loads for parking.

Kathy@watten
09-Jan-10, 00:45
OMgoodness and i thought a wee £30 parking ticket was a bit much! but would we be griping about the speeder and his enormous fine if he had killed someone? I think not, it will just be a drop in the ocean for him! will probably use it against his tax or some other clever way.

George Brims
09-Jan-10, 00:52
I read somewhere that it was assessed at 1.5% of his net worth. I remember reading that Sweden and Finlland do this too. Some millionaire from there (head of some big company) was fined 600K quid (anyone know how to get a pound sign os a US keyboard?) for speeding.

Alan16
09-Jan-10, 12:32
I read somewhere that it was assessed at 1.5% of his net worth.

I don't know if this system is really what is used, but either way it is less than 1.5% if his reported net worth is to be believed.

redeyedtreefrog
09-Jan-10, 16:08
(anyone know how to get a pound sign os a US keyboard?).

ALT+0163 on the number pad :D