PDA

View Full Version : why so many new shops

gee
30-Apr-06, 17:42
does anyone else wonder what is planned for caithness. there must be a reason why all these large businesses are moving up here and all new houses are being built

footie chick
30-Apr-06, 19:33
Somethings going on thats for sure. Why else are they all coming here? Dounreay's being decommisioned? or is it I wouldn't be surprised if it or something similar starts up again. Bring it on let people know that there is life beyond Inverness

MJB
01-May-06, 01:40
Well I'm not saying for certain but there was a rumour (remember rumour) that Dounrey was going to be starting up again with a new Economical Reactor. :confused

Not sure about it myself but there must be something coming up, were they not also on about building a tunnel from the mainland to orkney?
Not sure if that has anything to add to it but the increase in everything has to mean something.

EDDIE
01-May-06, 09:55
About time to thats exactly what caithness is needing and the new shops will make all the other shops to be more competitive with there prices at long last
I really hope that the asda and tesco is going to be superstore.

pultneytooner
01-May-06, 10:08
It's for all the asylum seekers that the government are going to be re-locating up here, the shops are just a sweetener, probably all closed within 2 years.;)

Seabird
01-May-06, 11:18
There is at the moment a large debate about building Mariners along the East coast from Inverness Northward.
And Wick is also got plans for the same.
If you want boats to stop at Wick it stands to reason you need something to offer.
Rich boaty types will only stop at the best Mariners and it sounds as if there could be a lot of competion for their money.

engiebenjy
01-May-06, 11:24
From what I've heard, there's far too much money being spent in Dounreay for it to be shutting down, the whisper definitely is that there's something going to be happening out there.

willowbankbear
01-May-06, 12:26
Why not? I dont see why not

katarina
01-May-06, 13:40
From what I've heard, there's far too much money being spent in Dounreay for it to be shutting down, the whisper definitely is that there's something going to be happening out there.

Then why Wick getting the shops and not Thurso? And I do hope wick gets its marina. That will improve the look of the north harbour area no end. And big pleasure boats coming in - I like that.

MagicalTrevor
01-May-06, 14:26
With all this talk of how to get rid of the UK's nuclear waste it seems the most viable solution is Deep Geological Disposal. This entails burying the nations waste as deep udnerground as possible, and then completely forgetting about it. Of course there is the risk (or sheer inevitableness) that this will eventually leak before it half-lifes itself down to safe levels. Anyway, being the most remote part of mainland UK it would make sense for those in Parliament to flush its toilet away from as many people as possible up here! All that contaminated filth from the shaft at Dounreay is also going to have to go somewhere pronto, so maybe they'll test the water as it were with the shaft waste.

Also looking at all these shops springing up by LIDLs, how did this plan get approved at all? The centre of town is going to be sucked dry. Almost every shop in the high streets of Wick will be affected. As with Tesco coming to town, Wick isnt big enough for 4 major supermarkets - Somerfield or Co-op has to go! I fear a town centre of bookies and charity shops... How picturesque.

angela5
01-May-06, 14:38
I would'nt say that it's very picturesque at the moment. :(

Neil
02-May-06, 13:09
Caithness, just like Orkney does not have a population abale to solely support these businesses. Lidl will open here soon and someone will suffer, I guess Somerfield as they dont do a dividend card.

Leaving myself open to flaming here but these firms also know since the Pentalina B started running, there are a passing audience of thousands to and from Orkney, both to Wick and Thurso, not forgetting the Orcadians who come onto the mainland to furnish their houses, change their cars etc.

I dont know the population of Caithness but add 19500 Orcadians and ferry traffic of hundreds of thousands and you have viable business plans if you can get them to stop and spend their money.