PDA

View Full Version : Council Flat Tv Signals

Olin
07-Jan-10, 22:15
I'm not sure if anyone can help but here it goes....

Recently I moved into a council flat in the Mount Vernon area of Thurso. I also bought a new television for this flat and when I plugged it in and scanned for the channels I only got 4 and even they were grainy and terrible.

I am wondering if the flats have the capabilities of viewing digital tv or not? Would buying a freeview box work? My television says it has digital tv built in but it finds no signal when scanning!

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!

ŠAmethyst
07-Jan-10, 22:41
I've been staying in a Mount Vernon flat over the past couple months, only TV with a signal is the one in the living room as it's on sky. Normal telly is grainy there. I'm under the impression that the flats there have communal sky dishes, so maybe getting the sky freesat might help - maybe worth checking with sky and maybe a neighbour to see if they know if your block has a dish.

pink25
08-Jan-10, 13:07
I also have this problem - let me know if you get anywhere with this?

Olin
08-Jan-10, 13:44
Will do pink25

(Y)

crashbandicoot1979
08-Jan-10, 14:40
I used to live in the flats, TV worked fine with a freeview box so that should help.

bhoy
08-Jan-10, 18:24
check if you have a new style digital aerial or an old anaolgue one because you wont find any digital channels with an analogue aerial!

Kodiak
08-Jan-10, 18:35
check if you have a new style digital aerial or an old anaolgue one because you wont find any digital channels with an analogue aerial!

Not quite correct this. The Ariel I have is 20 Years old and I can pick up all Digital stations with my built in Freeview Tuner on my LG TV. Great clear Picture as well.

M R
08-Jan-10, 20:07
The reception is crap in the flats, by a booster. Should get you a few more channels but probably not them all

ŠAmethyst
09-Jan-10, 00:04
The reception is crap in the flats, by a booster. Should get you a few more channels but probably not them all

It's been determined that Olin and I are in different blocks (though not for long as I'm moving again)... but did you actually do this and it worked okay?

I tried it in this different block, portable tv in one of the bedrooms. Thought I wouldn't go for the cheapest, wish I had now... nada! Might come in handy when I move away though lol.

M R
09-Jan-10, 01:24
It gave us 12 more channels and cleaned up the existing ones. The reception in the bedroom is unwatchable......and wont have freeview at all.

Moonboots
09-Jan-10, 13:00
The systems installed are not digital ready for Freeview but they are digital ready for Satellite. Cables are installed in a distribution system and are only setup for the livingroom as far as i know...

Hope this helps.

Olin
10-Jan-10, 14:51
THanks to everyone who has posted!

I managed to get it fixed with a little help from my friend.

It turns out I was trying to tune it using "cable" as the source which is the wrong method. I should have and now use "air" as the source. As in it is now picking up the signals broadcast through the air to my aerial.

Silly but sorted!

Thanks

M R
10-Jan-10, 19:15
Would still check that your getting all the channels, compare them with someone else in a better area. Boosters are expensive and can only help if your a few channels short..

Moonboots
14-Jan-10, 13:16
Booster's only help to increase the signal but it also increases the noise which is being carried too. So basically if you get a blocky picture now then put a booster on and you will get the same effect.. blocky picture.

M R
14-Jan-10, 15:31
Obviously the booster increases the signal, hence the word boost.

Dont suffer from a blocky picture thankfully.

Like i say, check your channel list against someone you know that gets all the channels....

If your not getting them all, i would either borrow and test a booster or buy one.