PDA

View Full Version : Does money buy you happiness....

Phill
07-Jan-10, 21:59
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8445513.stm

29yr old lottery winner found dead.

Kodiak
07-Jan-10, 22:01
You should remember the Old Syaing :-

No matter how much Money you have it can not buy you Poverty !!

Invisible
07-Jan-10, 22:07
This was probably more to do with the loss of his dad rather than the money.

redeyedtreefrog
08-Jan-10, 15:41
"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy things that look, feel, smell and taste exactly like happiness."

Cant remember who said that first, might have been Homer Simpson.

onecalledk
08-Jan-10, 15:45
Money doesnt buy you anything but distractions. The real "money" is value in what you have (i dont mean possessions) and who you are. Money will exaggerate anything that is not working for you, its not the solution to problems. ie if you are unhappy inside then money will enable you to buy lots of distractions like possessions, drink etc but it will not solve the "problems" inside of you.

In the case of the millionaire who was found dead, money became his nightmare, further isolating and trapping him with how he felt inside.......

K

badger
08-Jan-10, 17:23
I have never understood why lotteries don't give more smaller prizes. I'm sure most people who are not used to lots of money would be much happer with, say, half a million than several million. They would attract less attention but have enough to help their families, give themselves security but still need to work and live a normal life. It would also mean far more prizewinners so less newsworthy.

It obviously made this young man miserable - how sad.

froal
08-Jan-10, 17:30
Very sad news.....!! some folk just cann't cope they probably thought it wouldn't happen to them, to even win never mind what to do after they spent some of it !

dafi
08-Jan-10, 17:31
Winning the lottery dont scare me, others may have reservations but i am quite willing to give it a go to find out.....bring it on!!!

Kevin Milkins
08-Jan-10, 18:09
My mam used to say, "you never know how well off you are until you have lost it", unfortunately for this young man, it came too late to realise that an ordinary existence is usually all we need to achieve happiness.

Bazeye
08-Jan-10, 18:50
Winning the lottery dont scare me, others may have reservations but i am quite willing to give it a go to find out.....bring it on!!!

Same as you on this one dafi, try anything once. If I didnt like it I wouldnt buy any more lottery tickets after Id spent it all.

Dadie
08-Jan-10, 19:19
My Dad would say money doesnt buy you happiness but you could be miserable in comfort!

Liz
08-Jan-10, 19:43
Lots of money doesn't make you happy but lack of it certainly can make you unhappy!

I agree with Badger in that huge lottery wins of millions are stupid and there should be an upper limit.

So sad about this poor young man.:~(

George Brims
09-Jan-10, 01:08
I have never understood why lotteries don't give more smaller prizes.
It's because lotteries have found people buy more tickets if the prize money is bigger. Our State lottery in California added a number to the string for that very reason. A typical twice-a-week drawing generates about $7 million, but it often rolls over to 30+. That generates what they call the "Nevada effect" which means people from other states drive over the border to buy tickets (which finance our schools).

M R
09-Jan-10, 02:22
Lots of money doesn't make you happy but lack of it certainly can make you unhappy!

Agree with you on that 1 Liz 100%

Rheghead
09-Jan-10, 02:31
If he didn't want to leave the house then he should've given all his money to me and I'd of gladly done his shopping for him.

Kevin Milkins
09-Jan-10, 12:39
I bet the person who didn't get this winning ticket is feeling a bit grumpy just now.:~(

Man nets £80m after lottery foul up (http://money.uk.msn.com/your-cash/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=151665687)

Kirdon
09-Jan-10, 17:53

I'd have a go too.

Bazeye
10-Jan-10, 04:43
Dont usually buy a lottery ticket but if its a double rollover or somethimg the oh insists we get one. As if half a millions not worth winning.... Women eh.....

achingale
10-Jan-10, 19:30
Sometimes money can help to cheer you up but not necessarily make you happy. I would not mind my mortgage paid off but that is it really.

Alan16
10-Jan-10, 20:16
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness isn't spending it right." Can't remember where I heard that, but I like it.

Caithness Lass
10-Jan-10, 20:20
For someone who wins the lottery, they could then become the person who has everything, and yet nothing.

Sandra_B
10-Jan-10, 20:45
I would think it's easier to be happy with money than without it...

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Jan-10, 14:27
Money buys ye comfort not happiness.Happiness is when ye get told a joke or a quip and ye pysl.Free of charge.Costs nothing but makes ye feel like a millionaire.:)

George Brims
11-Jan-10, 22:34
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness isn't spending it right." Can't remember where I heard that, but I like it.
I think it's supposed to be "Whoever said money can't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop". Another quote on the subject "Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch."