PDA

View Full Version : Curious

Ash
07-Jan-10, 17:14
I am really curious to know why all schools and nurseries do not have the antibacterial hand wash pumps around them like they have in hospitals and most local shops, there are soo many bugs going around right now and the schools are the worst places to have them with kids not washing hands properly and putting hands in there mouths, biting nails ect..... does anyone know why they arent in schools, ive started putting my child to school with antibacterial hand lotion and wipes.

Turquoise
07-Jan-10, 17:18
I am really curious to know why all schools and nurseries do not have the antibacterial hand wash pumps around them like they have in hospitals and most local shops, there are soo many bugs going around right now and the schools are the worst places to have them with kids not washing hands properly and putting hands in there mouths, biting nails ect..... does anyone know why they arent in schools, ive started putting my child to school with antibacterial hand lotion and wipes.

They contain a high level of alcohol and a child was recently admitted to hospital after necking a whole bottle.

Kids nowadays...I used to just pinch a bottle of sherry out of the cupboard ;)

Kathy@watten
07-Jan-10, 17:35
Good old soap and water is more than adequate for nursery and school use, little wonder there are so many kids ill with "bugs" they are intolerant to daily normal level germs! I would honestly prefer my kids just to wash hands before meals and after the loo than to constantly be squirted with these chemicals and be too clean, perhaps this is just me? we live on a farm and my kids are grotbags but healthy grotbags. I have never used alcohol gel or anything on them.

Katy
07-Jan-10, 17:41
Nothing wrong with some "germs" but I think it would be useful to use before playing with toys etc that is going to be shared with others.

You get a childs lotion, I bought it for my girls and it doesn't smell strong like the normal ones. If properly supervised and out of reach of the kiddies should be safe enough.

How many kids don't wash there hands after the toilet then come and play with the toys.....not nice! Its always the poor kids that wash there hands then that end up no well.

Katy xx

Tugmistress
07-Jan-10, 17:44
How many kids don't wash there hands after the toilet then come and play with the toys.....not nice! Its always the poor kids that wash there hands then that end up no well.

Katy xx

and i my opinion it's the kids that have been kept 'too clean' that will suffer because their immune system isn't fully developed and up to the job.

i remember my nana just rinsing a sweet or piece of fruit under the cold tap if i dropped it and i got it back to eat - i brought neep up like that and neither she nor i suffer from any of these 'bugs' that those that have been wrapped in cotton wool do.

let the firing squad take aim ...... [lol]

Turquoise
07-Jan-10, 17:45
I think adults could set a good example of handwashing for bairns. It absolutely disgusts me how many women come straight out the loo, tart at their hair, reapply their lippy and then walk straight out without washing their hands. [disgust]

Thank goodness ice buckets have been taken off the bars these days too...

Katy
07-Jan-10, 17:50
Do agree with you Tugmistress but I do think some hygiene doesn't go far wrong.....

My kids are always outside in the mud, at the horses, playing with the dog etc but I do expect them to wash there hands when they come inside etc.

I know I wouldn't eat my dinner with my hands dirty and smelling of horses.....fair enough I wouldn't be spraying my hands in the spray but I do think it might stop the spread of bugs etc at schools if used when apprioprate.

Katy xx

BINBOB
07-Jan-10, 17:53
Good old soap and water is more than adequate for nursery and school use, little wonder there are so many kids ill with "bugs" they are intolerant to daily normal level germs! I would honestly prefer my kids just to wash hands before meals and after the loo than to constantly be squirted with these chemicals and be too clean, perhaps this is just me? we live on a farm and my kids are grotbags but healthy grotbags. I have never used alcohol gel or anything on them.

:lol::lol::lol: love it...so true.

BINBOB
07-Jan-10, 17:55
I think adults could set a good example of handwashing for bairns. It absolutely disgusts me how many women come straight out the loo, tart at their hair, reapply their lippy and then walk straight out without washing their hands. [disgust]

Thank goodness ice buckets have been taken off the bars these days too...

I always use my own hand sanitizer....keep it in pocket or car...I have a very poor innune system ,due to long term steroids,so play safe.But I know what u mean.........;)

Loafer
07-Jan-10, 20:00
It is well known that good old soap and water is much better than any anti-bacterial gel. It is used purely for convenience. How could they get a sink into the doctor's reception? ;-)

The Loafer

Ricco
07-Jan-10, 22:03
and i my opinion it's the kids that have been kept 'too clean' that will suffer because their immune system isn't fully developed and up to the job.

i remember my nana just rinsing a sweet or piece of fruit under the cold tap if i dropped it and i got it back to eat - i brought neep up like that and neither she nor i suffer from any of these 'bugs' that those that have been wrapped in cotton wool do.

let the firing squad take aim ......

Know what you mean, Tuggs. My mum used to haul us round to some kid's house if she heard that they had some illness that we had yet to catch. :lol:

young_fishin_neep
07-Jan-10, 22:12
Know what you mean, Tuggs. My mum used to haul us round to some kid's house if she heard that they had some illness that we had yet to catch. :lol:

thats exactly what tugs did with me... not managed to catch chicken pox in all the years of her trying though :( ... now i avoid anybody with signs of it!

x

mums angels
07-Jan-10, 23:57

Other than the one reason of the kid that was admitted to hospital , some children like two of mine are allergic to the stuff so i for one am happy its not in schools , i refuse to use it at doctors etc for the same reason . Maybe so many bugs are going because we are all obssessed with antibacterial wipes etc . I dont use them just stick to good old soap and water and my kids are rarely ill but i know people who use them all the time and thier kids are always picking bugs up .

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-10, 00:13
The thing is, if a kid is gonna get ill then they will get ill. there are hundreds of ways that they can get ill, coughing and sneezing especially.

Yes i am a very thorough hand washer, and i ensure all in my house wash their hands but thats hygiene.

In school, there is no way of stopping it to be honest. :confused

Bit o dirt never hurt e pig! :Razz

The Angel Of Death
08-Jan-10, 10:14
They contain a high level of alcohol and a child was recently admitted to hospital after necking a whole bottle.

Exactly its the drink choice of wino's now as well mix it with a bit of orange juice and hope not to go blind or die ;)

rob1
08-Jan-10, 11:33
When my brother was little, he used to eat soil from the garden and lots of it too. He very rarely get ill and probabley only gets a cold once every 3-4 years. i am convinced that whatever he ate in that soil give his immune system some boost.
No-one likes to see their little one getting ill, but effectivly sterilising their world by using these gels, sprays and wipes i feel is dangerous. Eventually the kids will pick up a bug that would usually cause something simple like an upset tummy, but as they would not have been exposed and built up an immune respone, they would probably end up in hospital in a very serious condition.
I will stick to soap and water.

Allsorts
08-Jan-10, 15:29
antibacterial stuff also kills the goods bug, we are anther house of soap and hot water.

Jeid
08-Jan-10, 15:32
Kids need to eat more mud. I ate mud when I was younger... and probably lots of other things that I shouldn't have. More bugs builds a healthier immune system in the long run. The "baby" state that we live in now is a bit OTT.

Anji
08-Jan-10, 18:34

When we were bairns, playing outside all day, if we got hungry we just pulled a turnip out of the field (yes, we had the farmer's permission), washed it in the burn and prepared it for eating by slicing it up in a rusty old 'neap chapper'. It never did us any harm.

Dadie
08-Jan-10, 19:51
My hands are in a right mess after coming out of hospital!
Every time I was in for monitoring and the duration of my stay when I had Euan I had to use the blasted alcohol gel on my hands more often than I wished.... my hands and wrists now have really cracked scaly skin.... ouch!
Now im having a battle with handcream to get my hands back to normal...
If it does this to an adults hands imagine what it would do to a small childs!

Vistravi
08-Jan-10, 22:32

When my brother was little, he used to eat soil from the garden and lots of it too. He very rarely get ill and probabley only gets a cold once every 3-4 years. i am convinced that whatever he ate in that soil give his immune system some boost.
No-one likes to see their little one getting ill, but effectivly sterilising their world by using these gels, sprays and wipes i feel is dangerous. Eventually the kids will pick up a bug that would usually cause something simple like an upset tummy, but as they would not have been exposed and built up an immune respone, they would probably end up in hospital in a very serious condition.
I will stick to soap and water.

Absoultly(sp) agree with you all!

Kids are too clean now and they do not need anti-bacterial soap just soap and water and taught how to wash their hands properly. By sterilising their world they will get ill and be wuite bad with it but if we just let them be kids and get dirty they will develop a resisitance to the bugs and won't get too too many bugs that affect them badly. By having the anti-bacterial sprays and pumps in schools we would be destroying the kids abilty to fight of bugs and germs.

I personally think kids should get dirty and enjoy being a child. A happy child is a dirty child. A child that is too afraid to get dirty due to their parents reaction isn't a happy child fully as they're always worried that they can't do that because they'll get dirty and make mum and dad cross. Whoever is daft enough to put their child to nursery or school in their good gear and then moan about the dirt on their child's clothes only has themselves to blame. When my child goes to nursery i will never be one of the parents that worry about their child's dirty clothes. When i see my child's dirty clothes i will smile as its a sign of a good fun day and that is what washing machines, stain remover and the shower is for. My partner now would be a different story but seeing as i seem to be the one who does the clothes washing in our house as i remember to put it on, turn it of and remove the washed clothes it doesn't matter lol.

Vistravi
08-Jan-10, 22:37
thats exactly what tugs did with me... not managed to catch chicken pox in all the years of her trying though :( ... now i avoid anybody with signs of it!

x

Ah but a person with chicken pox is no longer contagsis(sp) once the spots appear! It is before the spots appear that they are. Hence why in nurseries chicken pox goes round like wild fire.

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-10, 23:42
Ah but a person with chicken pox is no longer contagsis(sp) once the spots appear! It is before the spots appear that they are. Hence why in nurseries chicken pox goes round like wild fire.

Its also able to be passed on once the spots are out.

I believe its after they have scabbed over that you are at less risk to others which can take a few days after the spots are there.

As for gel they do have it in my daughters school but soap and water is just as good.

Its also a case with alcohol gel that after a few uses ( five I think ) you have to wash your hands anyway. :D

Blarney
08-Jan-10, 23:45
;)

LOL - quite resourceful of you.....and I bet a lot of these yummy mummies raided their parents' cocktail cabinets too!!

Vistravi
08-Jan-10, 23:48
Its also able to be passed on once the spots are out.

I believe its after they have scabbed over that you are at less risk to others which can take a few days after the spots are there.

As for gel they do have it in my daughters school but soap and water is just as good.

Its also a case with alcohol gel that after a few uses ( five I think ) you have to wash your hands anyway. :D

Ah yes i had forgotten it is for the spots once the spots have scaped over. Baby brain strikes again lol. Its rather annoying at times only rembering half of things lol. I gave lists of everything now which does not work sometime as i forget where i put the list!:lol:

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-10, 23:51
Ah yes i had forgotten it is for the spots once the spots have scaped over. Baby brain strikes again lol. Its rather annoying at times only rembering half of things lol.

AH there is hope for you then you are still remembering some things.............. :lol:
Stop at one baby look at me Im a total scatter brain after five. :eek:

Vistravi
09-Jan-10, 00:08
AH there is hope for you then you are still remembering some things..............
Stop at one baby look at me Im a total scatter brain after five.

My mum is bad after 6 lol. She actually forgot which day was my brothers birthday and we thought it was hilarious when there was four of us telling her it was that day not the next :lol:

I sometimes wonder if i can remember anything sometimes! I told a child of for something today and child did it again so the other staff member in the room asked the child what it was i had told him and then he looked at me for the repeat. I just looked over at my coleque and admitted i had no idea what it was i had said only those 2 minutes ago :eek:

Ah i want 3 kids. 3 is the magic number for me lol. Saying that i've yet to give birth lol.

toodiemac
09-Jan-10, 00:11
Remember that the immune system relies on good bacteria to help it function properly, and these hand gels wipe out the good as well as the bad.

I think (and studies have shown) a lot of the problem is caused when people use anti-bacterial sprays and cleaners in their homes when hot soapy water, or eco-cleaners do just as good a job and are much, much better for your health. If people are constantly wiping away all their immune-strengthing bugs then no wonder people are being diagnosed with more allergies etc.

Wash your hands thoroughly, and don't 'sanitize' your home with all these antibac cleaners, and remember that air fresheners, especially the plug-in types, have been proven to have a bad effect on immune function.

Dadie
09-Jan-10, 22:07
God knows how laid back Im going to be with Euan.... I figured with Iona that by the time she had wrestled a sausage back out the dogs mouth into hers there was little point in binning anything that landed on the floor that she then wanted to eat.... even the 5 second rule was broken:lol:
With Lauren being the 1st everything was wiped and if it so much as got within an inch of the floor it was binned:eek: