PDA

View Full Version : "operation snowdrop"

coppertop 1958
07-Jan-10, 10:52
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38880

Phill
07-Jan-10, 11:30
Fantastic find, brilliant.

I'd heard a lot about this. Good to see some foootage about it.

:)

Thumper
07-Jan-10, 12:30
Wow an amazing bit of footage-thanks for sharing!x

Lavenderblue2
07-Jan-10, 12:36
Fantastic Coppertop1958!! Thank you so much. :)

Angela
07-Jan-10, 12:45
Thanks a lot for that, coppertop. I was aged 4, living with my aunt and uncle near Wick and my uncle was driving snowploughs. :eek:

I'm not sure my children really believe what happened :roll: so I'll email them the link. :)

jimbews
07-Jan-10, 13:00
Thanks a lot for that, coppertop. I was aged 4, living with my aunt and uncle near Wick and my uncle was driving snowploughs. :eek:

I'm not sure my children really believe what happened :roll: so I'll email them the link. :)

I remember going with my father to Wick aerodrome to watch the helicopters working.
For years afterwards I had a momento of the occasion: part of the tail rotor we saw getting shattered off a chopper that got blown against the hanger as it tried to take off!

Phill
07-Jan-10, 14:21
Another one here:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38884

Cracking find Coppertop, I didn't know the site existed.

trinkie
07-Jan-10, 14:35
Thank you for that - I remember it well.

Trinkie

trinkie
07-Jan-10, 14:38
http://www.caithness.org/earlypictures/photogallery/index.php?gallery=11&image=12

There may be more pics here on the org.

Trinkie

Fluff
07-Jan-10, 17:53
That was a really interesting video. I had no idea that had happened, does anyone know where more info is available?

Errogie
07-Jan-10, 23:08
What a great clip. The first helicopter I ever saw was at that time and I always remember my Dad who was one of the local doctors was in it! He'd been picked up from the Dunbar to visit a patient.

sandyr1
08-Jan-10, 05:49
Yes, that was the biggest excitement that Caithness had for many years.... I did hear that the people who ordered supplies, both food and hay bales, were billed later by the Ministry of 'Something or Other'. I suppose people thought that it was a free drop but not so. Mind you I don't know if anyone ever paid....We are Scots!
I have to admit that there was a 'lot of snow'. I remember the drifts were over 10 feet in height. We had to cut snow blocks to get out of our house in Swiney. Ahhhhhhhh, them were the days....

coppertop 1958
08-Jan-10, 08:22
What a great clip. The first helicopter I ever saw was at that time and I always remember my Dad who was one of the local doctors was in it! He'd been picked up from the Dunbar to visit a patient.

i think i have seen a photo of that ....if its the same one if i have time i have a wee look for it

coppertop

coppertop 1958
08-Jan-10, 08:28
Consultant Surgeon Mr Roxburgh

http://www.nhshighland.scot.nhs.uk/60Years/PictureGallery/Pages/Consultant%20Surgeon%20Mr%20Roxburgh%20takes%20to% 20the%20skies%20as%20part%20of%20Operation%20Snowd rop.aspx

jimbews
08-Jan-10, 11:39
Yes, that was the biggest excitement that Caithness had for many years.... I did hear that the people who ordered supplies, both food and hay bales, were billed later by the Ministry of 'Something or Other'. I suppose people thought that it was a free drop but not so. Mind you I don't know if anyone ever paid....We are Scots!

Also heard that some farmers exaggerated their requirements because they thought it would be free: and then got a massive shock at the size of the bills!

Phill
08-Jan-10, 18:13
Considering the recent weather and the state of the roads I thought it prudent not to drive.
The fridge is looking a little bare and coming up to the weekend I thought it'd be wise to be prepared.

I called the MoD I explained that the pavements weren't safe and I could injure myself tottering home from the pub, I asked if they wouldn't mind flying in some beverages for me.

You should have heard the language! And from a man at the Ministry!

Really, what's the country coming to.

domino
08-Jan-10, 20:49
Remember it as if it was yesterday. It started at approx. 1-00pm on the Friday. Unbelievable!!

George Brims
09-Jan-10, 01:15
I remember as a wean being picked up in the kitchen so I could see out of the window, as the helicopter dropped bales in one of our fields. My mother claimed I imagined that, as I was only 20 months old at the time, but I described the colour and style of the helicopter (a dark red, the Westland one in that video), and she remembered it the same. It may not be my earliest memory, but it is definitely the earliest specific event I remember.