PDA

View Full Version : Co-op - Sommerfield Supermarkets

Kodiak
06-Jan-10, 23:15
I have just seen a Advert on TV that said that Sommerfield is now part of the Co-op Family.

So it looks like the Co-op have taken over Sommerfield's. Am I the last to know this? Was it common Knowledge?

So what will happen in Wick with a Sommerfield and a Co-op, will one be closing? If so which one and who will but it?

Intresting times ahead with this takeover.

redeyedtreefrog
06-Jan-10, 23:18
You can buy Co-op stuff from Somerfield

Serenity
06-Jan-10, 23:19
I have just seen a Advert on TV that said that Sommerfield is now part of the Co-op Family.

So it looks like the Co-op have taken over Sommerfield's. Am I the last to know this? Was it common Knowledge?

So what will happen in Wick with a Sommerfield and a Co-op, will one be closing? If so which one and who will but it?

Co-op is staying open, Somerfields is being taken over by an expanding company called Haldanes Stores.

shazzap
06-Jan-10, 23:21

I realised this a few months ago whilst looking at both websites.
They had the same food and deals on.
Then they made an annoucement

bekisman
06-Jan-10, 23:41
Haldanes Stores, the new supermarket company which was launched last month, has bought another 13 outlets.
This brings the number of shops in the independent chain to 18 throughout the UK. Haldanes opened its first three supermarkets in the past fortnight in Prestonpans, Carluke and Tranent. The company has been buying stores from the Co-operative group, which was forced to sell some shops following its acquisition of Somerfield.
Most of the new outlets are in Scotland and include stores in Kelso, Arbroath, Fraserburgh, Wick and Larkhall. Chairman of the group Arthur Harris said: "Our acquisition plans are right on track and we will have all 18 supermarkets running under the Haldanes name by Easter. "And we are still on the acquisition trail for other stores the length and breadth of the UK." Haldanes - which has a trading logo "Refreshingly local" - said it was the first mid-sized supermarket chain to open for business in the UK for 27 years. Its headquarters are in Grantham, Lincolnshire, with a regional base in Broxburn, West Lothian.
The 728 people currently employed at the 18 stores will transfer to Haldanes and the group expects to employ another 22 people when all the management positions have been filled. Haldanes plans to have a chain of about 50 stores within the next four years, employing about 1,200 people.

Fly
06-Jan-10, 23:51
The CO-OP bought Somerfield earlier in 2009 but can only keep one branch open, something to do with the number of retail outlets it has, I believe. I think the Somerfield stock is supposed to be moved to the Co-OP and this other crowd takes over the empty shop but I could be wrong.

Moira
07-Jan-10, 00:14
Am I the last to know this? Was it common Knowledge?

You weren't paying attention Kodiak, otherwise you would have known. It was indeed common knowledge.

Interesting times ahead indeed and you couldn't even be bothered to get the spelling of Somerfield right....

Kodiak
07-Jan-10, 00:18
You weren't paying attention Kodiak, otherwise you would have known. It was indeed common knowledge.

Interesting times ahead indeed and you couldn't even be bothered to get the spelling of Somerfield right....

OOOO who rattled your cage then, get yourself a Life and stop being so negative.

Moira
07-Jan-10, 00:39
OOOO who rattled your cage then, get yourself a Life and stop being so negative.

No one rattled my cage Kodiak. I was just trying to introduce some truth amongst rumour. Going by some of the previous posts I think I may have succeeded. :D

joxville
07-Jan-10, 00:52
Edit
The CO-OP bought Somerfield earlier in 2009.
Did they get a discount for bulk buying? :)

sweetpea
07-Jan-10, 01:13

Somerfield in Wick has stocked co-op brand food for the last 3 or 4 months. Must admit it's a bit confusing.

Metalattakk
07-Jan-10, 03:42
Did they get a discount for bulk buying? :)

They would have used their loyalty card, surely? How many points would they get for that?

*penny drops*

Oh, wait a mo.... [lol]

Mr P Cannop
07-Jan-10, 10:49
will we still be able to use our co-op card ?? at this shop ??

BINBOB
07-Jan-10, 11:01
will we still be able to use our co-op card ?? at this shop ??

At Haldanes................would not have thought so.............:roll: