PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no Council Salt/Grit Bins available for People to Use in Caithness???

secretsquirrel
06-Jan-10, 21:28
Having come from areas such as Grampian and Tayside where the councils provide local salt/grit bins for the use of local residents so that they can clear the pavements etc and then grit them. Especially in such weather as we are experiencing just know. This is of great help especially to the elderly and those with children. Why is it that once again the people of the Highlands are let down by the local council???? What are we paying our taxes for when other councils can do it???

The only salt/grit bin that I have seen is at Tesco's in Wick which they probably had to buy themselves. Good for them!

What is the council doing at present? as being in the town today the streets are covered in ice. The main square is like a "skating ring". I seen many people fall and personally had to help an old lady.

devil's sidekick
06-Jan-10, 21:32
Having come from areas such as Grampian and Tayside where the councils provide local salt/grit bins for the use of local residents so that they can clear the pavements etc and then grit them. Especially in such weather as we are experiencing just know. This is of great help especially to the elderly and those with children. Why is it that once again the people of the Highlands are let down by the local council???? What are we paying our taxes for when other councils can do it???

The only salt/grit bin that I have seen is at Tesco's in Wick which they probably had to buy themselves. Good for them!

What is the council doing at present? as being in the town today the streets are covered in ice. The main square is like a "skating ring". I seen many people fall and personally had to help an old lady.

There's a pile of grit round the corner from high ormlie i've been using it on my path, saying that it's going down quick with people using it.

poppett
06-Jan-10, 21:33
For three winters now I have pleaded with the Council to replace a salt/grit bin from our street. It is a side road which is never gritted, on a hill with two bad corners and grit/salt is essential. We have even offered to provide space in our garden for the bin to keep it off the pavement and grit the offending corner, but it is not considered essential.

Sheltered housing complex should also have grit/salt box available, especially the one in Springpark with steps as access from carpark to houses as these are lethal in the ice.

Did see one grit/salt box at Dunbar Hospital entrance today, but doubt it had anything in it.

secretsquirrel
06-Jan-10, 21:46
I have of course written to the Council - but at the speed that they work at I will recieve a reply in the summer and the bins will come in 2050 when due to global warming Caithness will be like the Bahamas

tonkatojo
06-Jan-10, 22:13
I have of course written to the Council - but at the speed that they work at I will recieve a reply in the summer and the bins will come in 2050 when due to global warming Caithness will be like the Bahamas

We can live in hope. ;)

Serenity
06-Jan-10, 22:43
I have one right outside my house and see loads more around the town.

bettedaviseyes
06-Jan-10, 22:44
its not just in caithness same here in fife and much to my shock the council here are spreading out MUD yes MUD on the pavements :confused

bingo1
06-Jan-10, 23:18
its not just in caithness same here in fife and much to my shock the council here are spreading out MUD yes MUD on the pavements :confused
Shocking lol but ive heard ats because they have run out of their budget for buying grit, they are using just ordanary sand here no grit. What the world coming to. They get plenty money for council tax an rent where is it all?? Surley they should make sure there is enough money in the pott for a bad winter??

devil's sidekick
06-Jan-10, 23:26
i'm from thurso and it's piles of grit i'v seen round the place

northener
07-Jan-10, 11:04
We certainly could do with some more grit boxes around the place - especially to cover the residential sideroads that aren't at the top of the priority lists for gritting.

Regarding the use of mud - it's like using sand, it gives a decent grippy surface on ice. The use of coal cinders used to be quite common in Yorkshire when I were a lad. The only downside is that it's a bit messy when it all thaws, small price to pay,though.

Regarding complaints about the Cooncils: Stop bloody well whingeing, fer Chrissake. it's the worst winters we've had in donkeys.

If the Cooncil had turned round three winters ago and said "Right then, we're going to put grit bins on every corner and buy a fleet of 50 extra gritters/snowploughs...just in case", the same people who are banging on about the council not doing enough would be pulling their hair out and shrieking about a "a wast of my taxpayers money...blah, blah, blah..."

mums angels
07-Jan-10, 13:34
We have one at the top of our street after many requests from all the neighbours but could also have been from the bin lorry drivers as they often have touble on our hill ! so far though think we are the only ones that use it in the street .

Geo
07-Jan-10, 13:38
For those with transport (and who can get out!) you can buy bags of grit in places like Allans.

highlander
07-Jan-10, 14:41
It had been lethal going out to the coal house or even going across our road just to feed the hens, this last few days i have been spreading the ashes from the fire, what a difference it has made to the path, yes it will be a mess once it thaws but a good pail of soapy water should sort that out.

poppett
07-Jan-10, 15:08
I would have paid for someone`s old ashes when the kids made a slide in the road last week and cars couldn`t steer round the corners.

Even the constabulary adding their weight to our plea for a grit box has so far fallen on deaf ears.

BMcGillivray
07-Jan-10, 15:44
There is/was a big pile of Grit in the car park next to the Squash court in Thurso, aswell as a big pile at the car park next to the Naver all-weather pitch. Those are the only ones ive noticed, but im sure there will be other hills of grit strategically placed.

oldchemist
07-Jan-10, 18:56
There are several yellow bins full of grit (and kept topped up) around where I live in Watten - maybe you just have to ask?

Stack Rock
07-Jan-10, 20:41
We certainly could do with some more grit boxes around the place - especially to cover the residential sideroads that aren't at the top of the priority lists for gritting.

Regarding the use of mud - it's like using sand, it gives a decent grippy surface on ice. The use of coal cinders used to be quite common in Yorkshire when I were a lad. The only downside is that it's a bit messy when it all thaws, small price to pay,though.

Regarding complaints about the Cooncils: Stop bloody well whingeing, fer Chrissake. it's the worst winters we've had in donkeys.

If the Cooncil had turned round three winters ago and said "Right then, we're going to put grit bins on every corner and buy a fleet of 50 extra gritters/snowploughs...just in case", the same people who are banging on about the council not doing enough would be pulling their hair out and shrieking about a "a wast of my taxpayers money...blah, blah, blah..."

Well done for a realistic view of the current situation.
I can recall when every householder and shopkeeper always cleared the snow from the front of their home or premises. No phone calls in those days wingeing about the lack of service and before someone picks up on this I know very few had a phone.
In fact we were anoyed when the sand lorry came by as it ruined our 'slide'

taffy
07-Jan-10, 20:57
I would just like people to know my hubby works for the roads department in thurso and for the last three weeks has been working night and day gritting the roads and paths. Like everyone else the workers have to do what the higher up says but they are the ones who get all the hassle. This has been the worst winter in years so give the men who are trying to do the best they can the pat on the back they deserve and do the complaining to management and our local councillors.[disgust]

horseman
07-Jan-10, 22:54
Said on tv today (or praps in the papers) that those yellow bins were for the exclusive use of the council!!An not to be used by the rif raff for their paths! Strange.

Also read that the met office long range weather forecast gave it as a 'mild' winter.So that would be the basis for the councils planning in the summer!As per northerners post,so may we now slag the met office off ? National pastime anyway.

XxRUGBYMADxX
07-Jan-10, 23:46
there is a pile of grit at naver field and another at high ormile
there are loads of that yellow grit/salt bins around thurso (tesco,2nd scout hut,and all schools) but be quick it is disapering quick

jings00
07-Jan-10, 23:49
and down in the carpark by the Salvation Army

Mr P Cannop
07-Jan-10, 23:51
its -8 out there tonight

Stack Rock
07-Jan-10, 23:55
Also read that the met office long range weather forecast gave it as a 'mild' winter.So that would be the basis for the councils planning in the summer!As per northerners post,so may we now slag the met office off ? National pastime anyway.[/quote]

Agree - National pastime - always slag some-one off - its always some-one else to blame