PDA

View Full Version : Quit Smoking and Diabetes

Kevin Milkins
06-Jan-10, 21:06
This is the time of year when many cigarette smokers decide to have a go at quiting the habit in the hope of a healthier lifestyle.:Razz

I was startled to hear on the radio yesterday that recent studies have shown that of those quiting, 70% are more likely to suffer from type 2 diabetes, than those that do not smoke.:eek:

Diabetes risk increased by giving up smoking (http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2010/Jan/diabetes-risk-increased-by-giving-up-smoking-98154895.html)

I don't want to sound alarmist in anyway,as the health benefits of giving up smoking far out-way getting diabetes, but it would be a good idea to factor into your plans these statistics and seek sound advice on diet and exercise, post smoking.

EDDIE
06-Jan-10, 21:12
But its still better to stop

Vistravi
06-Jan-10, 21:33
Fair play to them if they stay stopped. My partner quit just before we moved to ness and hasn't smoked since. After 13 tries to quit he's doing well.

It's the smell i hate. My sense of smell has heightened so today when he came back to the day case unit i was in today he was stinking of fags. Asked him if he'd been with someone who was smoking and he told me he had met a old friend from school outside after returning from the car with his wallet.

Blarney
06-Jan-10, 21:53
[quote=Kevin Milkins;641383]This is the time of year when many cigarette smokers decide to have a go at quiting the habit in the hope of a healthier lifestyle.:Razz

I was startled to hear on the radio yesterday that recent studies have shown that of those quiting, 70% are more likely to suffer from type 2 diabetes, than those that do not smoke.:eek:

That's very interesting Kevin because my own experience bears this out. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes within 18 months of quitting the weed. I would attribute this to the alarming weight gain although I would still advocate stopping smoking for the many other health benefits. Overall I feel much better since being prescribed medication to control the diabetes.

Kevin Milkins
06-Jan-10, 22:06
That's very interesting Kevin because my own experience bears this out. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes within 18 months of quitting the weed. I would attribute this to the alarming weight gain although I would still advocate stopping smoking for the many other health benefits. Overall I feel much better since being prescribed medication to control the diabetes.

For most of my adult life I have been bigger around the middle than I know is good for me, but, like yourself, I took type 2 diabetes about 18 months after giving up cigarettes and high blood pressure, (which was very unusual for me).

I have absolutely no regrets about my change of lifestyle and have not smoked for over two and years, but these statistics did come as a shock and surprise.:eek:

Tristan
06-Jan-10, 22:13
Would the study have not been more relevant if they compared diabetes in smokers to those that quit? The big question is, is it the quitting smoking or poor diet, eating and exercise habits after?

Kevin Milkins
06-Jan-10, 22:31
Would the study have not been more relevant if they compared diabetes in smokers to those that quit? The big question is, is it the quitting smoking or poor diet, eating and exercise habits after?

Good question, as I understand it, smokers are at a higher risk of diabetes anyway, (as with heart disease, stroke Etc), but giving up increases the risk because there is a likelihood of increased weight gain.It is this weight gain (and the probability of diabetes) that health professionals need to flag up as very important as part of the overall package of nicotine cessation.

This might sound daft, but I was messing about with an old PC that I have had for over 10 years and it was kept in a small office that I used to smoke in while on my computer.
I opened the disc drive on the CPR, and the stink of stale ciggies that came out was unbelievable.:eek:

bettedaviseyes
06-Jan-10, 22:40
i stopped 4 months ago i never toke nothing for it good old will power best thing i ever did the only time when quitting when found it hard was when i would go out with my mates for a drink it was like i was gasping for one but i stuck to my guns and am over that now :D good luck to anyone trying to stop the best pill of all is will power.http://leftoforange.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/smokers-lungs1.jpg

EDDIE
06-Jan-10, 23:20
Fair play to them if they stay stopped. My partner quit just before we moved to ness and hasn't smoked since. After 13 tries to quit he's doing well.

It's the smell i hate. My sense of smell has heightened so today when he came back to the day case unit i was in today he was stinking of fags. Asked him if he'd been with someone who was smoking and he told me he had met a old friend from school outside after returning from the car with his wallet.

Well at least hes trying thats what counts.
The first 3 months stop smoking is the worst period and if u manage 6 months without a ciggy then your over the worst of it and its manageable from there on in.I took several attemps before i stopped

golach
06-Jan-10, 23:35
Been stopped smoking for over ten years now, no sign of diabetes yet, Asthma yes, I never had Asthma when I was smoking, but I have that under control also, non smoking house, and no furry animals either :)
Love going to the pub now, and getting a comforable warm seat, love watching the smokers braving the snow and ice, to have a few drags, rushing back and saying that was good, and shivering at the same time [lol]

oldmarine
07-Jan-10, 20:13
This is the time of year when many cigarette smokers decide to have a go at quiting the habit in the hope of a healthier lifestyle.:Razz

Diabetes risk increased by giving up smoking (http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2010/Jan/diabetes-risk-increased-by-giving-up-smoking-98154895.html)

I don't want to sound alarmist in anyway,as the health benefits of giving up smoking far out-way getting diabetes, but it would be a good idea to factor into your plans these statistics and seek sound advice on diet and exercise, post smoking.

I am a diabetic and I concur with your statement about diet, and exercise. They are one of the keys to fighting diabetes. As for smoking, I gave up on that when I returned from overseas during WW2. I got those weeds free. I guess the tobacco companies wanted to hook those who were not smokers. I never enjoyed them and it was easy for me to give them up when I returned Home.