PDA

View Full Version : benefits advice please

Mrs Bucket
06-Jan-10, 14:30
Can anyone advice on claiming benefits I am temporary out of work for six or seven weeks through no fault of my own. My employer will take me back on as there will be work available then. But I have been told Im not entitled to benefits in the meantime as Im not really unemployed. Has anyone else found themselves in this situation. I would appreciate any help Thank you

Mik.M.
06-Jan-10, 14:41
If you are a British Citizen who has paid tax and worked all your life it seems that you get nothing.However step out of the back of a lorry and say "me speak no english" and they throw money at you.Seriously though speak to Citizens Advice,you may be able to get Employment Support Allowance.Mik.

nicnak
06-Jan-10, 15:48
you should be entitled to claim as "temporary stopped" but the best thing to do is to contact the job centre and as long as you are willing to take full time unemployment you should be able to claim something. Hope this helps.

Venture
06-Jan-10, 15:52
The problem you will find Mrs Bucket is that once you fill in all the forms and wait for a reply etc. etc. you'll probably be re-employed. As Mik has said you need to be foreign to get any immediate financial help. Good luck anyway.;)

slinky
06-Jan-10, 16:34
temporary or not ur still entitled to survive i think it depends on how much savings u have 5000 i think, then u cant claim cab will tell u more

Mrs Bucket
06-Jan-10, 16:34
Thank you for replying never thought about CAB but wil give that a go. Luckily I have vg friends who wont see me stuck but thats not the point. I could always try and no speak a de inglish Thanks again

Thumper
06-Jan-10, 16:38
If you have the neck for it go into their office and refuse to leave until they give you a payment-lost count of how many I have seen doing that AND walking away with a hand full of cash!Stick to your guns hun you deserve to be paid while not in work x

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-10, 16:43
If you are a British Citizen who has paid tax and worked all your life it seems that you get nothing.However step out of the back of a lorry and say "me speak no english" and they throw money at you.Seriously though speak to Citizens Advice,you may be able to get Employment Support Allowance.Mik.

Erm does that mean that if your British Citizen and have not worked all your life nor paid taxes you they will also get money thrown at them...;)

As Mik has said you need to be foreign to get any immediate financial help. Good luck anyway.

My foreign husband disagrees with this. :)

Thank you for replying never thought about CAB but wil give that a go. Luckily I have vg friends who wont see me stuck but thats not the point. I could always try and no speak a de inglish Thanks again

CAB are a good organisation to help you out and thank goodness for friends. I do hope you get this sorted out quickly as it does seem to be a very slow process.
I wouldnt try the I speak no English line they may bundle you off to a detention centre and deport you first chance. [lol]

charlie
06-Jan-10, 17:17
Of course you are unemployed - your employer has NO work for you.

Get your employer to issue your P45 then make a claim for Job Seekers Allowance via the DWP in the normal manner

Your employer will need to advise the DWP, when asked, that he has laid you off, and you will need to agree to seek work.

It is hardly likely in a recession you will find work before your employer offers you new work.

However, "promises" of future employment should be treated with a pinch of salt until you are actually clocked on and earning.

Get your P45 ASAP and sign on.

Venture
06-Jan-10, 17:33
[quote=Alice in Blunderland;641269]
My foreign husband disagrees with this. :)

I don't somehow think that your husband falls into the same "foreign" category that Mik and I were referring to.[lol]

sharona
06-Jan-10, 17:58
get wat u can every one else does and if you do i dont blame you for doing that that is contry is now

Leanne
06-Jan-10, 20:18
My dad was in the same situation and he wasn't able to claim anything until the layed him off - which they wouldn;t do in case more work came in (and they would have to pay his redundancy). He ended up having to hand in his notice because he couldn't afford to hang on for the possible redundancy payout :(

scorrie
06-Jan-10, 21:17
Can anyone advice on claiming benefits I am temporary out of work for six or seven weeks through no fault of my own. My employer will take me back on as there will be work available then. But I have been told Im not entitled to benefits in the meantime as Im not really unemployed. Has anyone else found themselves in this situation. I would appreciate any help Thank you

Hope these help:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Understandingyourworkstatus/Temporarylayoff/DG_10026693

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Understandingyourworkstatus/Temporarylayoff/DG_177591

bingo1
06-Jan-10, 23:25
This happened to me around 6 years ago, i was employed by manpower but they had no work for me but kept me on the books untill a contract became available however tax credits stoped paying me as they said that i wasent working this was true but the social said that i wasent entitled as i was employed even though i wasent getting an income. I went to the citazens advise and they sorted it all out for me and it turned out i was entitled to child tax credits i had to phone 08453003900 to claim that and i was entitled to income based job seekers allowance. Go to the citazens advise as the social just totaly did not help me and were rude to me.

NickInTheNorth
07-Jan-10, 16:58
This happened to me around 6 years ago, i was employed by manpower but they had no work for me but kept me on the books untill a contract became available however tax credits stoped paying me as they said that i wasent working this was true but the social said that i wasent entitled as i was employed even though i wasent getting an income. I went to the citazens advise and they sorted it all out for me and it turned out i was entitled to child tax credits i had to phone 08453003900 to claim that and i was entitled to income based job seekers allowance. Go to the citazens advise as the social just totaly did not help me and were rude to me.

You can also claim working tax credits if you are self employed.

So become self employed, declare that you are working for yourself for over 30 hours per week, and you will get working tax credit.

You should of course try and get the work that you are doing self employed - (choose something you can do - gardening / handyman / ironing / web design / book keeping / general labouring etc etc the possibilities are endless) if you earn then declare it, if you don't then not a problem. Probably best to give a low estimate as to your potential self employed earnings for the year (say £1000) when claiming the tax credits.