PDA

View Full Version : lcd or plasma

pultneytooner
30-Apr-06, 10:12
Does anyone know whether to get a plasma as opposed to an LCD tv or vice versa?
I'm looking to upgrade to a nice HD 42" TV and was wondering whether to get LCD or Plasma.

Geo
30-Apr-06, 13:38
I don't have either but reviews I have read have suggested LCD is the better option. Make sure you get a HD one.

Macwull
30-Apr-06, 21:18
When i bought my TV a few months ago i was told that a TV 42" or above to go for Plasma, anything below this LCD is better. That was only a couple of months but with technology changes who knows!

Bingobabe
30-Apr-06, 21:38
I have an lcd but not a great quality picture, on the other hand my father has a plasma and it has an excellent picture a bit like being in the cinema!

pultneytooner
30-Apr-06, 21:50
Thanks for all your input, keep the comments coming, expensive business high spec tv's so I need all the help and information I can get.
I'd rather get a consumer viewpoint rather than just reading a review.

The Angel Of Death
30-Apr-06, 22:44
I got one of the 32 " lcd ones from woolies and the picture is crystal the only draw back is its not hd ready i knew i should have waited !!! but i just didnt see my xbox 360 being bought but all in all i was quite impressed and had a relative that bought the same one as soon as they seen mine

Other than that dont plasma's need ther gas recharged in them every 5+ or so years or is that just for the earlier models ???

bigjjuk
01-May-06, 09:03
well what i heard is if u buy a lcd its for life and nothing needs to be done apart from watch it. Plasma tvs need to have the gas changed in the tv every so often, i dont know how true this is, but if it is id go for the LCD

Geo
01-May-06, 10:30
From what I have read larger LCDs are very good now.

The thing with both types is you need to set them up right with good connections to other sources. Sometimes when you look at a line of plasmas or lcds in a shop the pictures are all terrible and you wonder why anyone would buy them but I've been told it is all to do with how they have been set up.

A very good forum for reviews and customer experience is:
http://www.avforums.com

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
01-May-06, 11:51
My son who lives downstairs has bought himself a 42in plasma so he can watch sports and use his playstation but from what I've heard around here is that it uses more power to run than the airconditioner dont know if its true but worth checking http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif

LybsterLass
02-May-06, 20:36
LCD is definately the better option, the screen life of an lcd is around 20 years of average viewing, whereas plasma needs its gases topped up around every 3 - 5 years, plasma is being replaced this year with new technology but i don't have much more detail about it yet. When you do buy your tv you should look to make sure that it is hd compatible as well as hd ready as a lot of people are being caught out by this, hd has now been released and even if you don't want it just now its better to have a tv compatible with taking it just incase you want it in the future.