PDA

View Full Version : Caithness trains running??

Fran
05-Jan-10, 02:08
I read in the paper yesterday that trains are only going as far as Tain and that Scot rail cannot lay onbuses further north as the buses wont drive in the present road conditions.
Is this still correct?
I am concerned as my son was coming north tomorrow, Tuesday , but I have been told he is on the overnight rain tonight.Worroed he wont get up to Caithness. My mother is stranded up here and is now thinking she will have to fly to aberdeen on Friday morning.

Stack Rock
05-Jan-10, 09:19
According to the BBC news page the derailment was at Carrbridge south of Inverness. From the photo its a bad one and the line will probably be closed for days if not weeks. Looks like the TESCO container train.

gollach
05-Jan-10, 10:14
According to the BBC news page the derailment was at Carrbridge south of Inverness. From the photo its a bad one and the line will probably be closed for days if not weeks. Looks like the TESCO container train.

If you mean the sleeper train, there was a sign at Inverness station saying these were being diverted via Aberdeen last night. All other rail services had a bus link between Aviemore and Inverness.

North trains were running full length of Wick-Inverness line but running a bit behind schedule due to conditions.

Ash
05-Jan-10, 11:13
was looking to travel to Inverness on sat and return sunday
will the trains be running

KCI
05-Jan-10, 11:52
The train from Inverness to Wick is running at the moment.
The sleepers are being diverted via Aberdeen, and people who are sitting up all night are getting buses for the last part of the journey to Inverness.

bettedaviseyes
05-Jan-10, 12:09
My god how bad is it up there? my sisters say thurso really bad with snow hope it clears up:roll: i'v booked my train tickets for coming home to wick on monday i hope its ok for traveling by then dont want to get trapped half way there or on way back .

Fran
06-Jan-10, 02:07
The trains from England and the sleepers were stopped at Perth at 5am and passengers transferred to coaches to get to Inverness. Trains from inverness to wick arrived 18 minutes late. But...the roads south wick/thurso to Inverness are now closed, as are many others. My son arrived ok.

BINBOB
06-Jan-10, 11:30
The trains from England and the sleepers were stopped at Perth at 5am and passengers transferred to coaches to get to Inverness. Trains from inverness to wick arrived 18 minutes late. But...the roads south wick/thurso to Inverness are now closed, as are many others. My son arrived ok.

Glad to hear ur son arrived safely...;)

stansmith
06-Jan-10, 13:09
Lucky it wasn't 'the wrong type of snow' as rail networks have reported previously

Fran
07-Jan-10, 02:41
Went to the station late afternoon and they said trains running 2 or more hours late arriving at wick. did not know if the train will go to inverness tomorrow. I was also told there are no further trains south from Inverness and no transport laid on due to weather conditions. will have to phone in the morning as my son is back to wales tomorrow.

wee sparkle
07-Jan-10, 17:58
Weather is causing an absolute nightmare for me, I plan to go back to Aberdeen on Monday, my first exam is Thursday and i wanted to make sure i could be there an extra few days to get sorted..... it's not looking too good :(

Will have to check the wick to inverness train again, but last i heard it was running (dont take my word for it though). And i have absolutely no idea how i will get to Aberdeen from there, since nothing is moving from Inverness due to terrible weather.

Im tired of the snow now, :( i want it to go away! :lol:

Hope everyone else isn't being caused too much trouble by the snow!

KCI
07-Jan-10, 21:02
Just to advise - the sleeper train from Inverness to London is running from Perth, and coaches have been provided to take passengers from Inverness to Perth. So there is transport provided.
Wick to Inverness train was also running today.

ŠAmethyst
07-Jan-10, 22:25
Planning on getting the early train to Inverness, returning on the late train. I'll have to do the same on Wednesday (this time for a work meeting). Getting nervous as to whether it's going to run now since I was told that the second morning train didn't run today.

Has anyone used the TrainTracker service? If so did it prove useful? I've just saved the number in my phone.

dx100uk
08-Jan-10, 00:23
Caledonian Sleeper Services

Due to the freight train derailment at Carrbridge, Sleeper services between Inverness and London in both directions are closed for further reservations for travel until 10 January 2010 inclusive.
Southbound
Customers with existing reservations for this evening (Thursday 7 January) will be transferred by coach from Inverness to Perth where they will then join the sleeper service to London Euston.
All southbound Sleeper services from Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Fort William and Glasgow are running as timetabled and customers with existing reservations should turn up as normal.
Northbound
Sleeper services from London Euston to Aberdeen and Fort William are now open for reservation as per the timetable. New reservations from London to Glasgow and Edinburgh remain closed. However, customers with existing reservations should turn up for their service as normal.
Passengers requiring further advice should phone ScotRail Customer Relations on .

from scotrail site

dx

Fran
08-Jan-10, 02:04
The 8am train to Inverness was cancelled but the 12.36 from wick left on time. It got into inverness one and a half hours late. What a journey. At Inverness a bus took passengers to Perth to connect on the overnight train to euston. I phoned my son and he was on the overnight train just after 10pm but it had not left Perth at that stage.He didnt manage to get a sleeper so will have to sit up all night.

ŠAmethyst
08-Jan-10, 08:28
The 8am train to Inverness was cancelled but the 12.36 from wick left on time. It got into inverness one and a half hours late. What a journey. At Inverness a bus took passengers to Perth to connect on the overnight train to euston. I phoned my son and he was on the overnight train just after 10pm but it had not left Perth at that stage.He didnt manage to get a sleeper so will have to sit up all night.

Those chairs are not the comfiest to be spending the night in :\

But I hope he got there safely!

Missed the train this morning (was awake half the night with a meowing groggy cat after an op), still debating whether I should get the next one. I hear they're bussing people to Helmsdale... Might just try again tomorrow.