PDA

View Full Version : Transplant Advert

ShelleyCowie
04-Jan-10, 23:51
Is anoyone else quite upset by that advert?

I saw it the other day for the first time and yes i know its a serious issue, but is that the way to go about getting people to help out?

Seeing that boy fade away right infront of you....not something i really want to see and it upset me.

I know its just an advert but still quite distressing

Anyone else seen it? :confused

devil's sidekick
04-Jan-10, 23:58
that's the point of the advert shelley to get people aware of the issue

ShelleyCowie
05-Jan-10, 00:10
that's the point of the advert shelley to get people aware of the issue

Well i know that. But dont u think its just a bit of a horrible way to show it? :confused

Creeps me oot! But then again...so do u [lol]

devil's sidekick
05-Jan-10, 00:16
Well i know that. But dont u think its just a bit of a horrible way to show it? :confused

Creeps me oot! But then again...so do u [lol]

not really there just making people aware as far as i'm concerned. you probably wouldn't have noticed it as much if the advert made you smile but the advert done it's job and has made you aware.

Whitewater
05-Jan-10, 00:32
The advert may not be nice to watch, but it is doing its job, and making us aware. In that respect it is a good advert.

brandy
05-Jan-10, 01:21
not seen it, but i remember the cancer advert a few years back.. and it broke my heart but made me very aware of it, and as its a huge killer its something that we need to reaslise how bad it is and try to do something about it. im guessing the new advert is the same. if we can save someone elses life.. then im all for it.one thing i do know.. if anything ever happened (God forbid) to sam and ben i would donate their organs in the hope that even in their loss their lives might be able to help some one else to live.
its morbid but its something ive thought about. if one of my children died, then maybe i could stop another mother from having to go thru it as well.. its a really comforting thought.

bettedaviseyes
05-Jan-10, 01:34
Awareness is good my dad suffered for years he needed both his lungs transplated then doctors told him he needed his heart done as well :~( but the lord toke him from us:~( so awareness is good know matter how bad it looks it could happen to any one of us.

Nacho
05-Jan-10, 14:36
Is anoyone else quite upset by that advert?

not half as upset as the relatives of the terminally ill who know there are hundreds of useful organs being buried/cremated every day.

hopefully this advert has moved people to sign up to the organ registration

http://http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/default.jsp

in my humble opinion, we should have an opt out rather than an opt in system.

BINBOB
05-Jan-10, 14:43
I think it hits hard,but that is what is needed.........I am a reg. donor,any bits of me of any use to anyone else are most welcome.[when I am dead,of course.];)

Mik.M.
05-Jan-10, 14:48
Like the ad says,you`d take an organ if you needed one,so help other people out and sign up for organ donation.You won`t need them when you`re dead but it could save the lives of others.I think donations should be compulsory and people can opt out.

macbreeza
05-Jan-10, 17:54
I think the advert is brilliant and more needs to be done to raise awareness. We would all take a transplant if we needed it but are we all registered donors??

I have a relative with cystic fibrosis and I am a registered should you take an organ if you weren't willing to give one in the first place? ma It would be good if it was compulsory and every one was registered from adulthood and it was up to you to opt out.

Even if it just makes you think and register it's worth it. I did it online!

ShelleyCowie
05-Jan-10, 17:59
As iv said i already know its to make people more aware, im already on the list.

I must be of the minority here then, thought the advert was harsh.

They ban an advert with drowning animals, but a boy dying on tv is ok? :confused

I really dont get it

EDDIE
05-Jan-10, 18:13
I think the system needs to change so that everyone is automatically put on the donar list so if u disagree with donating your body parts you can opt out i think that would make a big difference i bet the amount of people that would donate but never get around to registering would be shocking numbers.

As far as im concerned if your dead your body parts are no use to you so you might as well give someone else the chance to live and make it your last good deed before u enter into the next world.

BINBOB
05-Jan-10, 18:19
I think the system needs to change so that everyone is automatically put on the donar list so if u disagree with donating your body parts you can opt out i think that would make a big difference i bet the amount of people that would donate but never get around to registering would be shocking numbers.

As far as im concerned if your dead your body parts are no use to you so you might as well give someone else the chance to live and make it your last good deed before u enter into the next world.

Yes ..I am also for that.Opting out is a better option,IMO.

cuddlepop
05-Jan-10, 18:25
Shelly ask yourself if the advert would make you carry a donor card as this is what its suppose to do.
If it makes you just want to switch channels then its not working.

My Oh just cant watch the" left" dog in the deserted house without asking if we still give to the sspcaa so that advert works.:)

Angela
05-Jan-10, 18:27
I've not seen this one, but I imagine it's similar to the 'Kill Jill' one which showed a girl fading away before your eyes.

That one really hit home to me and made me register as an organ donor. It had always been something I'd somehow never got round to doing.

That advert was intended to make you face up to something that is very upsetting, otherwise what would be the point in showing it?

It's a sad fact that many people of all ages die before a suitable organ can be found for them and the only way to improve the situation (apart from the use of living donors) is to increase the number of organs that become available when people die.

Unless/until we have an opt-out system, we need adverts like this to shock people into an awareness of how serious the situation is. :(

BINBOB
05-Jan-10, 20:15
Shelly ask yourself if the advert would make you carry a donor card as this is what its suppose to do.
If it makes you just want to switch channels then its not working.

My Oh just cant watch the" left" dog in the deserted house without asking if we still give to the sspca so that advert works.:)

I know how he feels..just can not bear to watch..........:(

BINBOB
05-Jan-10, 20:16
As iv said i already know its to make people more aware, im already on the list.

They ban an advert with drowning animals, but a boy dying on tv is ok? :confused

I really dont get it

Well done for being on the donor list,I do understand it upsetting u so much,Shelley..........u love ur wee boy sooooooooooo much.;)

Nacho
05-Jan-10, 20:29

I really dont get it

what's not to get ?

it's an emotive issue which is bound to upset some people, but i think you're in a minority of 1 when you describe it as 'harsh'.
it has to be hard hitting so that people pay attention.

this is the first tv advert for organ donation and to be honest, i'm not sure how else it could be done.

Leanne
06-Jan-10, 00:08
Maybe we should all have our new years resolution to give blood and join the donor register :)

ShelleyCowie
06-Jan-10, 00:15
Maybe we should all have our new years resolution to give blood and join the donor register :)

Already on the donors list, they wont take my blood though. Sorry :confused

Leanne
06-Jan-10, 00:23
Already on the donors list, they wont take my blood though. Sorry :confused

Good good. They won't take mine either (which is a bit embarrassing given my job) because my blood pressure is stupidly low. I've put a bit of weight on over Christmas so it may have gone up enough to sneak a donation in ;)

The Angel Of Death
06-Jan-10, 00:41
Am i the only one that thinks the donor list should be opt out instead of opt in i mean if i needed i hoped i could get but as mentioned before there are loads of perfectly good organs (ohhhh errrrr mrs ;) ) getting chucked cause someone didn't consent when they could have been used and relatives cant make up there mind etc

As for me take it all everything thats of any use to anyone else apart from the eyes there the gateway to the soul

joxville
06-Jan-10, 00:58
Edit Am i the only one that thinks the donor list should be opt out instead of opt in.

No, five people posted before you have the same belief, as do I.

Apart from my hair they can use any part of me, my organs are of no use to me when I'm in the furnace.

Alan16
06-Jan-10, 01:30
Is this the advert you are talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWkc-kVyNgY

I don't watch as much tv as I used to so haven't see it before now. It is pretty distressing, but it is certainly effective.