PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit damage

spurtle
04-Jan-10, 15:59
I have a beautiful crab apple tree which the rabbits, in desperation, have completely barked up to about 2 ft from the ground. It is about 15 ft high, and still covered in little apples - any ideas on how I can save it? Bandaging? Any products on the market to seal the debarked areas?
Grateful for any ideas, as I grow lots of these as a valuable tree for wildlife and a bonny sight at all times of year

donnick
04-Jan-10, 16:50
i got a couple of jack russells u could tie to the tree :lol::lol: for a afternoon might get sum of the xmas fat off them

Kathy@watten
04-Jan-10, 16:50
Lol can I suggest a jack russell? I have shrubs and trees in my garden and dispite living in the country I have no rabbit damage and have taken no form of rabbit precautionary measures...but i do have russells which keep the population to a minimum!

Kathy@watten
04-Jan-10, 16:52
Lol great minds think alike and fools seldom differ Donnick.....but our ideas are fool proof! Find anyone looking for rabbit measures I have a litter of rabbit hunting russells at the moment looking for employment/homes!

Kirdon
04-Jan-10, 16:52
I have a beautiful crab apple tree which the rabbits, in desperation, have completely barked up to about 2 ft from the ground. It is about 15 ft high, and still covered in little apples - any ideas on how I can save it? Bandaging? Any products on the market to seal the debarked areas?
Grateful for any ideas, as I grow lots of these as a valuable tree for wildlife and a bonny sight at all times of year

Shotgun lol

Kevin Milkins
04-Jan-10, 16:58
It is annoying when this type of thing happens to a favourite tree or shrub, but it does not sound promising for a repair job.:~(

The link below does have some advice, good luck.

Deer and Rabbit Damage on Trees - PlantFacts - Presented by ... (http://www.plantsgalore.com/articles/animals/critters-deer-rabbit-treedamage-plantfacts.htm)

BINBOB
04-Jan-10, 16:59
Lol great minds think alike and fools seldom differ Donnick.....but our ideas are fool proof! Find anyone looking for rabbit measures I have a litter of rabbit hunting russells at the moment looking for employment/homes!

Nooooooooooooooooo...leave bunnies alone!!!;)

spurtle
04-Jan-10, 17:01
I am also a great fan of the Parson's terriers, though I have never had one. I plant on a rather large scale, and would need an army of them. I always use rabbit spirals on trees, but it is a case of saving a few well-grown trees that have suffered, and had their guards removed some years ago, as I thought they were big enough to survive - the rabbits seem to likr fruit wood bark, and home in on them, even when the trunk is about a foot in diameter.

spurtle
04-Jan-10, 17:08
It is annoying when this type of thing happens to a favourite tree or shrub, but it does not sound promising for a repair job.:~(

The link below does have some advice, good luck.

Deer and Rabbit Damage on Trees - PlantFacts - Presented by ... (http://www.plantsgalore.com/articles/animals/critters-deer-rabbit-treedamage-plantfacts.htm)

Thanks for that Kevin - I will try the solution proposed. I have found that they callous up quite well, but thed amage is worse this time