PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Mey 10K not open as stated?? / Who's Running?

philupmaboug
04-Jan-10, 10:21
Does anyone know when the entries are officially open for the Mey 10K as I've checked on the website today as advertised and still no sign of open registration?

Thanks

Viking Girl
04-Jan-10, 12:37
Entry for the Castle of Mey 10k is now open at www.born2run.co.uk

John MacKay
04-Jan-10, 12:41
It's open now, I just managed to enter.

Mister Squiggle
04-Jan-10, 13:26
Think it was hard to get on first thing, but try now. I've just got registered no probs. Good luck !

porshiepoo
04-Jan-10, 14:09
Yay! Got my entry in too. :)

porshiepoo
04-Jan-10, 14:13
So who's entered the Castle of Mey 10k and what's your reason / charity for running?

I managed to enter and I'm lucky enough to be one of the featured runners this year.
I'm a complete novice but I'm using the training and any sponsorship toward my 'cycle china' event in 2011.
Training began today in my freezing cold gym but I'm feeling really positive and can't wait till I'm fit enough to know I'll be able to complete the race without the use of a stretcher.

bettedaviseyes
04-Jan-10, 14:19
well done pal hope you do will i would love to do that but my knee's dislocate i go to the gym but have to watch what i do :confused i used to run have medals for it and football medals use to love it.

porshiepoo
04-Jan-10, 14:27
well done pal hope you do will i would love to do that but my knee's dislocate i go to the gym but have to watch what i do :confused i used to run have medals for it and football medals use to love it.

Blimey, that must be awful for you. To not be able to do something that you really love.
Guess we take for granted our ability to do things. :(

rainbow
04-Jan-10, 14:40
Its filling up really fast - there are only 350 places, and well over 100 have entered already. It was an excellent run last year - abit more testing than I anticiapted - I remember alot of 'uphills' but not so many 'downhills'. Must work on hill reps in an effort to improve my time this year. And as for the weather last year - it felt soooo hot, lets hope the weather is decent this year as well - as long as it is not too windy or too hot I can cope with anything, even heavy rain.

A_Usher
04-Jan-10, 15:09
I am hoping to train towards a few 5ks later this year. My sister is a running fanatic, but i tend to get my cardio training elsewhere, although i have made it a New Year resolution to work towards more running based training plans, and have ordered a new Tunturi T30 treadmill to work endurance and interval training on, i have a nice 1.5 mile loop near me that i run occassionaly.

Good luck on the 10k.

porshiepoo
04-Jan-10, 15:22
I am hoping to train towards a few 5ks later this year. My sister is a running fanatic, but i tend to get my cardio training elsewhere, although i have made it a New Year resolution to work towards more running based training plans, and have ordered a new Tunturi T30 treadmill to work endurance and interval training on, i have a nice 1.5 mile loop near me that i run occassionaly.

Good luck on the 10k.

I'm going to be training on my York treadmill to start with but I'm guessing that out door training is very different so I'm going to have to make sure I don't get to comfy inside lol.

I too have some good loops close by and I'm going to run Rumster Forest as soon as I'm fit enough.

Good times ahead. :)

A_Usher
04-Jan-10, 15:26
My experience is treadmill and tarmac are two different beasts. Ill be using the treadmill on a 1 degree incline and working basic intervals such as a quick pace for 30 seconds, followed with 15 seconds slower, over a 3 minute period, and then repeat etc, primarily to work endurance.

I am a big believe in heart rate monitoring and analysis, and even at my MMA club i have the guys now wear a real time heart rate monitor, so i can measure their workload to recovery rate.

For example i will train them over 3 minute rounds, getting their heart rate up to 90 percent maximum of heart rate max, and then have them slow down until their heart rate max goes back to 65 percent, and then return to 3 minutes and repeat for 3 rounds, in order to develop rest and recovery and VO2 max.

veekay
04-Jan-10, 18:46
I have just entered my OH how pleased will he be!!!!!!!!!

OK so he asked me to but thought it might be a bit late to get a place - he was wrong

Errogie
04-Jan-10, 19:03
If anyone is running in the snow obviously ice is a challenge to remaining upright but what you will also find apart from wet feet is that your foot will rotate as you push off on a forward stride and this can cause some knee pain. Otherwise a good resistance effect for when you get a clear fast surface.

The other problem about outdoor training right now is of course lack of daylight unless you can run during the day or under street lights. With 16 inches of snow on the level and the third week of these conditions I've got severe withdrawal symptons!

Good luck with the training and beware of the possibility of developing an obsession.

porshiepoo
04-Jan-10, 19:16
If anyone is running in the snow obviously ice is a challenge to remaining upright but what you will also find apart from wet feet is that your foot will rotate as you push off on a forward stride and this can cause some knee pain. Otherwise a good resistance effect for when you get a clear fast surface.

The other problem about outdoor training right now is of course lack of daylight unless you can run during the day or under street lights. With 16 inches of snow on the level and the third week of these conditions I've got severe withdrawal symptons!

Good luck with the training and beware of the possibility of developing an obsession.

I can quite believe that it can become obsessive.
For ages now I've been trawling over every running related website available lol. I've even subscribed to 'Runners World' which conveniently means that I also have access online to all their sister magazines information - 'Triathletes World'. This is great for me cos it also helps me with the cycling I need to do.
In fact I daren't work out exactly how many hours I've spent today alone on their website. :)

Tubthumper
04-Jan-10, 21:31
What about arranging a wee discussion forum just for the Mey 10k? Everyone can help each other, encourage, pass on tips?
Just an idea, don't know how to actually do it...

changilass
04-Jan-10, 21:49
The chat would be good for that.

Tristan
04-Jan-10, 21:56
I'm going to be training on my York treadmill to start with but I'm guessing that out door training is very different so I'm going to have to make sure I don't get to comfy inside lol.

I too have some good loops close by and I'm going to run Rumster Forest as soon as I'm fit enough.

Good times ahead. :)

I am not a runner I prefer other types of training but trained up to a 10k trail run and the Survival of the Fittest. Outdoor is very different I would start as soon as you can even if it is run 1 min walk 1 min.
If you are on the treadmill they do recommend you put it on an incline to make you work as hard as you would outdoors.
Good Luck with it.

Errogie
04-Jan-10, 23:58
Having a good surface under your feet is probably the most important thing for a runner and while tarmac can be fine as a firm consistent surface the similarity and duplication of every footfall is what can cause later problems once you get started on a running career.

My favourite surface of all time is a pine needle covered forest track with some irregularities and even alternation with grass or harder surfaces. The other useful thing is to have a fellow running enthusiast or buddy to get you past the times when you might pack it all in or just don't feel like coming out in the rain! Happy to pass on any tips which are just based on my own varied running experiences taking part in races throughout the north and further afield.