PDA

View Full Version : Flickr users - have you been Explored?

dragonfly
04-Jan-10, 07:53
THIS (http://www.bighugelabs.com/scout.php) website shows you any of your photos that have appeared in Explore and if you click on the "dropped" link its also shows photos that have been in explore but dropped out

I discovered one from a year ago that I didn't know I'd had!

North Light
04-Jan-10, 12:09
dragonfly,

Yes I have, explore is a fickle thing, Flickr change how it works periodically, but it relates to :-
No. of Views, No. of comments, No. of favourites, No. of new comments, against this the more groups you put the photograph in, and the more comment groups the lower the rating. You can also add to this how often do you comment on other images etc.
I get very few Explores in the summer when I am busy and don't have a lot of time to comment, but the frequency increases in the winter when I have more time to comment, I have to say that I stopped using the "Post One & Comment on Three" groups a long time ago, life is too short, I prefer to comment on a limited number of Contacts, and try and ensure the comments are meaningful.

NL

Mystical Potato Head
04-Jan-10, 20:00
I wouldn't put any importance whatsoever on Explore.There are hundreds if not thousand of good images which dont make explore,bit of a lottery.I've had one get on explore which 3 comments and 2 favourites.I've also noticed ppl get on explore with less comments and favourites from the same number of groups than a photo i've had which didn't get in explore and the reverse has also been the case.
The most important factor appears to be favourites,followed by comments and finally the number of views.
The post one,comment on 3 type groups greatly reduce your chances of getting on explore because ppl are likely to comment on a photo because they have to,not because they want to.
If you put your photo in dozens of groups,this will also go against you,get you plenty of views mind.Been there,done it.
As NL says, they change the alogarithm from time to time.A guy i know used to,like me get one or two in explore every month then all of a sudden he started getting them in explore on an almost daily basis,even some of his older ones would appear.
His photos are pretty amazing and deserve to be considered amongst the best on Flickr but it was funny how they suddenly started appearing in explore.
Get your photos big on black now Dragonfly,lots of goodies on the bighugelabs site.

dragonfly
04-Jan-10, 20:10
yes I think I know who you are on about (Angus), as you say he is in the top 20 if not 10 daily

I'm just delighted to get one, even if it wasn't one I thought would get it :confused

Mystical Potato Head
04-Jan-10, 20:41
Yep,thats him.Superb images. Since he got his 5d mkII they seem to have gone to another level altogether,they were great before he got it though.I've had a couple on explore and wondered how the f.......err how on earth they got there,and ones i thought were "good" haven't.
If they make it its nice i suppose but if they dont,well its not a disaster.Wouldn't mind Angus's success ratio though.