PDA

View Full Version : Are they good?

Vistravi
03-Jan-10, 23:46
When it is time to put from bottle to cup which my partner and myself want to do when baby is ready, Did anyone use a nuby sippy cup. They come in short or small cups. We use them at work and though i know the cup is a messy cup as its free flowing but mess is not something that bothers me at all. Obviously untill baby is off formula milk they will still be getting bottles but be using the cups for cooled boiled water that they would be getting with snacks and their meals when weaned.

Has anyone used them or can anyone recommend a better cup to use at the time? Mess is no object!

I know i'm getting too ahead of myself but just wanting to be prepared. We already have bought small open tumblers for our child to use when they can drink out of a open cup. ;) Picked them up during the weekly shop as they were a good price.

ShelleyCowie
04-Jan-10, 00:34
i have tried looooooooooooooads of cups with athrun. He didnt like the tomee tippee any way up cups because he had to bite it to get anything out. The cup he really likes is just an ordinary blue cup with green lid that i got from the health visitor.

Or....he uses my cups, obviously i hold it but he enjoys it. He is still on the bottle and he will come off it when he is ready. :Razz

You are quite right buying when you can! I have a cupboard full of baby cups that cost me a small fortune and he hates them! :roll: men eh haha

Vistravi
04-Jan-10, 01:11
i have tried looooooooooooooads of cups with athrun. He didnt like the tomee tippee any way up cups because he had to bite it to get anything out. The cup he really likes is just an ordinary blue cup with green lid that i got from the health visitor.

Or....he uses my cups, obviously i hold it but he enjoys it. He is still on the bottle and he will come off it when he is ready. :Razz

You are quite right buying when you can! I have a cupboard full of baby cups that cost me a small fortune and he hates them! :roll: men eh haha

Ah one of my collegues Said about the cup the bairn has to bite. She used it for her grandson and he hated them as it took him a while to work out how to use them. He's a big lad and loves his food and drink so i can understand why that cup got thrown. I would rather the bairn got a free flowing one to teach them that it flows and is not sucked. The bite ones just doesn't make sense.

Ach Athrun will soon tell you when he's had enough of the bottles lol. At least you don't have to sterlise them now.

Aye i spotted them and thought aha they'll do nicely when its time to teach them how to drink out of a open cup. They're small and just need to put a little in at a time to limit spills and to prevent them from pouring too much over themselves.

Is the wee man doomed to be a cheapskate? lol

brandy
04-Jan-10, 05:30
my two hated the no spill kind as it was so hard to suck anything out.. the free flow ones are great.. messy but easy to drink from.. just be careful when they discover the game of spin around with you sippy cup upside down.. sighs.. i had such a nice tidy house before children *giggles* but wouldnt trade it for the world!
ohhh and a wee side note.. both of my boys were 10 mnths when they stopped taking a bottle..
sam because he became really ill with rota virus and quit drinking, and had to force water down him with syringe and finally sipping from a straw.. after that he just refused a bottle..
and ben, well just because he saw his older brother with a cup.. and of course a bottle wouldnt do then!

carasmam
04-Jan-10, 08:42

We had umpteen cups as well but I agree with Shelley - that blue and green 1 from the HV was the best, the wee one can still use it without the lid as it has handles, so very easy for them to hold when learning to drink from a proper cup.
I had a cheap cup from Tesco with a mesh sort of valve and a spout for in the car though to stop the car seat etc getting messy ;)

ShelleyCowie
04-Jan-10, 11:14
Vistravi, if its cheap then thats better!! Children dont use things for long. Like clothes, they can grow so fast that i dont see the point in paying a fortune for some clothing. saying that athrun has worn 9-12 month clothes since he was 10 months old :eek: but yes i have binned whats gotten a bit tattered.

Because athrun is also now big enough to feed himself (what a mess but so funny) then for a drink on the side i leave a beaker cup, no handles on it but the spout is brilliant.

I think its a trial and error thing really. Obviously get some advice from other people who have used them aswell....but soon im gonna be askin about potty training :eek:

Thats it, iv depressed myself and realised that athrun is gettin bigger...im off to eat a bar o chocolate [lol]

Vistravi
04-Jan-10, 16:41
Vistravi, if its cheap then thats better!! Children dont use things for long. Like clothes, they can grow so fast that i dont see the point in paying a fortune for some clothing. saying that athrun has worn 9-12 month clothes since he was 10 months old :eek: but yes i have binned whats gotten a bit tattered.

Because athrun is also now big enough to feed himself (what a mess but so funny) then for a drink on the side i leave a beaker cup, no handles on it but the spout is brilliant.

I think its a trial and error thing really. Obviously get some advice from other people who have used them aswell....but soon im gonna be askin about potty training :eek:

Thats it, iv depressed myself and realised that athrun is gettin bigger...im off to eat a bar o chocolate [lol]

Ah the joys of potty training i know it so well. Need any advice you know where i am. I tend to spent alot of time taking toddlers to the toilets when they are learning.

We were looking in boots at cups today as we were getting a few things from there anyway and think a very simplistic cup is the way to go. Found one with just what we were after complete with handles for £1.49. We'll be getting a non spill one for the car though but not one they have to suck. A harder search for that one is needed but plenty of time for that.

We also got a lovely blue hooded towel for baby today for a pound from poundland lol. Think we now have four so we'll be fine for towels for a while. We went in for two bottles of still juice for me to have before my scan tomorrow and ended up spending another tenner lol.

Vistravi
04-Jan-10, 17:04
my two hated the no spill kind as it was so hard to suck anything out.. the free flow ones are great.. messy but easy to drink from.. just be careful when they discover the game of spin around with you sippy cup upside down.. sighs.. i had such a nice tidy house before children *giggles* but wouldnt trade it for the world!
ohhh and a wee side note.. both of my boys were 10 mnths when they stopped taking a bottle..
sam because he became really ill with rota virus and quit drinking, and had to force water down him with syringe and finally sipping from a straw.. after that he just refused a bottle..
and ben, well just because he saw his older brother with a cup.. and of course a bottle wouldnt do then!

Aye they love that game lol. i'm not too fussed about bairns making mess as it can be tided up later. We're wanting to have wooden flooring instead of carpets so it shouldn't be a problem lol. We shall see about that one though. We'll have it when we can afford it. With our cat its a must especilly when she sheds her winter coat.

Children are funny when they are like that. They want what the other has :lol:

I'm thinking about cups but Our child i'm sure will soon let us know when he/she doesn't want a bottle anymore.